Best Credit Card with Cash Back Rewards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vinen

God is dead
I think his point was more along the lines of, why aren't you using an actualcreditcard instead of the debit card? Now, I use my debit card too because I currently don't have a good rewards card, and it helps me budget better knowing it is coming directly out of my account, but if it is stolen (physically or otherwise) or mis-charged or even just used for something you end up returning, you're dealing with actual cash out of your account, not "imaginary" money so to speak. If a debit card gets stolen your bank account can often get seriously fucked up, making it difficult to pay bills while things are frozen and sorted out, so *most* people recommend not using a debitcreditcard if at all possible.

Again, that's not what I do, but I hope to change that soon, and having read this board long enough, I'm fairly certain that is the overwhelming viewpoint of the "smart spenders" here.
Correct. Sorry for the lack of explanation. I've had my card stolen too many times to trust utilizing my debit card. THX Taxi Cabs in Vegas...

The Master

Bronze Squire
The consumer protection laws are also much better withcreditcards then debit cards. No intelligent person advocates using the actual "credit" part of thecreditcard. You pay that shit off in full every month. Or, at worst, sign up for a zero interest card, put a major purchase on it, and pay the minimum every month and make sure it is paid off before interest kicks in. You usecreditcards because of the rewards, the safety factor, and the convenience of carrying no or very little cash.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Mycreditscore is stellar, but the only thing holding me back from borderline perfection is that... I don't have enoughCreditCards. According toCreditKarma, I need to have 22+ accounts in my name to be given an "A" rating in Total Accounts. I need at least 6 to get a "D" -- guess I'll Fail for a while.

Vinen

God is dead
Mycreditscore is stellar, but the only thing holding me back from borderline perfection is that... I don't have enoughCreditCards. According toCreditKarma, I need to have 22+ accounts in my name to be given an "A" rating in Total Accounts. I need at least 6 to get a "D" -- guess I'll Fail for a while.
You should stop usingCreditKarma. That site is grade A shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thinkCreditKarma is tocreditscores as Wikipedia is to reference material. Good starting point, but don't hold it as gospel.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
CreditKarma is mostly accurate on my stuff. I don't have a lot of open accounts though - bank, 1creditcard, 1 car, 1 mortgage, 17,000,000 student loans

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've always used my debt for this and at some point didn't know mycreditunion got us associated with some rewards company. I've been paying with it for nearly 5 years and at some point within the last 4 years they started that with me only finding out like 6 months ago. At this point I have close to 500,000 points. To put that in perspective, I can get 75% off international flights for 150,000.

They have a ton of other shit on there too merchandise wise, was a nice surprise when I got something in the mail about it asking me if I knew about it.
I earn about that many points a year. With NFCU lol.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I used to have acreditcard from my local bank that had negligible rewards, just used it/paid it off every month for the benefit there. Now my wife and I both work, looking at maybe starting to take real vacations next year, and curious what would be the best card to get to start building some rewards. International flights are most likely our first destination choices (England, for example) so is something that gives high % but just for miles worth while? Otherwise, reading through this thread, it mostly looks like that Sally Mae card is solid? Chase Sapphire looks appealing but it implies a $90 yearly fee which I am not a fan of.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sometimes the fee is waived for the first year. But if not, if using the card is going to save you more than the annual fee then wouldn't it still be worth it?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Only if the amount I save minus the fee is greater than a card without a fee in the first place. It adds another layer on which is just annoying, and $90 is nothing to sneeze at. I'm new to all this so I have no idea of the value of miles earned, for example (if that's even how it still works)

Column_sl

shitlord
I crunched all the numbers, and the bank of america card visa gives you the most money if you don't care about flight points.

Usually you can apply that card with other cards to give you even more savings back. Such as the starbucks card with your visa etc.

Every 300 bucks they give you around 475 if you wait to cash it in at 300 so you easly average 500+ a year if you use yourcreditfor everything.
Now if you do care about mileage, and have goodcreditAmerican Express is the way to go.

Column_sl

shitlord
I still use a debit card, but I'm transitioning tocreditcard.
You need to get off that debit card like now. If you look at the rewards for debit cards even with gas they are minuscule over the whole year.
Creditcards are the way to go if you are responsible, and pay it off at the end of the month.

The rewards are just way too high, and maxing yourcreditscore is never a bad thing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been using mostly just thecreditcard now. The rewards are already pretty amazing. Think I saved $100 off my first months bill with the introductory rewards.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jumping into this late and it sounds like some of you guys have a pretty good grasp on all this. Just curious where this card ranks among the more popular choices? I've had it for years now and never really thought to pay all my bills with it. But it makes sense heh! I need to pay it off first then start fresh with bills and shit to not get the interest.

CreditCards | FedChoice FederalCreditUnion

The Master

Bronze Squire
Jumping into this late and it sounds like some of you guys have a pretty good grasp on all this. Just curious where this card ranks among the more popular choices? I've had it for years now and never really thought to pay all my bills with it. But it makes sense heh! I need to pay it off first then start fresh with bills and shit to not get the interest.

CreditCards | FedChoice FederalCreditUnion
1% on everything is basically bottom of the barrel. Most good rewards cards offer 1% on everything AND 3-5% on a particular category. The Priceline Visa is 2% on everything and 5% on certain other things.

Check out the thread linked earlier to the Fatwallet sticky. To maximize rewards you really need ~3-5 cards that cover all your common spending categories.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
thx. I need to pic a new one up. I like that card b/c the interest is normally around 6% but I want me some cash back perks!