Best Group pvE in MMO of today ? ( Not EQ or Wow )

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Dungeons, or even overland but where you are building grps to tackle content ... even if not large %. I need a grping game and they seem to be scarce unless i go back to 1999 or 2004 or something.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. My days of raiding are pretty much over so for me the endgame for any MMO I play has to have good group dungeon content that is challenging and entertaining. The thing is no MMO (at least the ones I have played) has ever figured out how to combine the best of what EQ1 had with the best of what WoW had. Not even sure if it's possible.

In no particular order:

GW2: No trinity and everyone wants to speed run them.

Wildstar: ridiculously difficult and no one wanted to run them

WoW WoD expansion: heroic dungeons dumbed down beyond recognition comparded to vanilla/TBC era

Neverwinter: never got the chance to play the veteran versions of the dungeons in that game. When I played at launch there were very little tactics used and everything was a speedrun AOE fest.

SWTOR: I enjoyed running the dungeons in this game but there weren't many of them and it quickly got boring running the same ones over and over.

TESO: veteran dungeons in TESO meet the challenging and fun criteria but they suffer from some bad design decisions by ZOS. EXP gain was nerfed hard so leveling up in dungeons is not possible. The first time you run them they give you a skill point but after that there was no reason to run them anymore because loot itemization sucked and you couldn't get upgrades. They added in Undaunted daily pledges which help entice players to keep running them but after you complete your daily it goes back to no incentive to run any more of them that day.

FF14: never played it so can't comment

Rift: had fun running those dungeons but the population was dying away fast the last time I played a couple of years ago. I was a DPS class and the queue times were so long by the time mine finally popped it would be time for me to log out for the night.

If I had a magic wand I could wave, the ideal MMO would have vanilla/TBC WoW's instanced dungeons with boss AI scripts, EQ1's trinity model that required good teamwork and smart gameplay, with mobs that required CCing(mez root snare), mobs that would flee at low health and potentially aggro other trash, and significantly rare loot drops from bosses that encouraged players to repeat running the dungeons.

Im beginning to think the new generation of gamers don't really care much about the PVE dungeon crawl experience, the devs know this, so they don't bother with designing quality dungeons anymore for the old school crowd.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. My days of raiding are pretty much over so for me the endgame for any MMO I play has to have good group dungeon content that is challenging and entertaining. The thing is no MMO (at least the ones I have played) has ever figured out how to combine the best of what EQ1 had with the best of what WoW had. Not even sure if it's possible.

In no particular order:

GW2: No trinity and everyone wants to speed run them.

Wildstar: ridiculously difficult and no one wanted to run them

WoW WoD expansion: heroic dungeons dumbed down beyond recognition comparded to vanilla/TBC era

Neverwinter: never got the chance to play the veteran versions of the dungeons in that game. When I played at launch there were very little tactics used and everything was a speedrun AOE fest.

SWTOR: I enjoyed running the dungeons in this game but there weren't many of them and it quickly got boring running the same ones over and over.

TESO: veteran dungeons in TESO meet the challenging and fun criteria but they suffer from some bad design decisions by ZOS. EXP gain was nerfed hard so leveling up in dungeons is not possible. The first time you run them they give you a skill point but after that there was no reason to run them anymore because loot itemization sucked and you couldn't get upgrades. They added in Undaunted daily pledges which help entice players to keep running them but after you complete your daily it goes back to no incentive to run any more of them that day.

FF14: never played it so can't comment

Rift: had fun running those dungeons but the population was dying away fast the last time I played a couple of years ago. I was a DPS class and the queue times were so long by the time mine finally popped it would be time for me to log out for the night.

If I had a magic wand I could wave, the ideal MMO would have vanilla/TBC WoW's instanced dungeons with boss AI scripts, EQ1's trinity model that required good teamwork and smart gameplay, with mobs that required CCing(mez root snare), mobs that would flee at low health and potentially aggro other trash, and significantly rare loot drops from bosses that encouraged players to repeat running the dungeons.

Im beginning to think the new generation of gamers don't really care much about the PVE dungeon crawl experience, the devs know this, so they don't bother with designing quality dungeons anymore for the old school crowd.
Part of the reason people don't care much about it is that it's seen as nothing more than a stepping stone since raiding is shoved down everyones throats as the only way to get the good shit. That and the fact that dungeon design sucks a mansion full of cocks anymore. Hell, even EQ, the game that gave us some of the greatest dungeons ever doesn't even have them now and seemingly hasn't in a good long while. Everything is just designed to funnel people into raiding. For the life of me I cannot figure out why people like to raid as the ONLY form of endgame but here we are with every game the same in that respect. There should be raid targets but having nothing but raid targets is aids. I suspect good group content would be pretty popular if you could get good gear from it but there's no carrot left in those 4 boss hallways anymore.

Vitality

HUSTLE
My Favorite dungeon crawling stuff to fit Rescorla's description has been in all the roguelike games. Maps in Path of Exile - Procedurally generated dungeons where the layouts aren't the same and the mobs are increasingly more difficult.

Goonsquad Officer
trying to recall group content i've liked recently....

rift at launch was decent. eq2 TSO era was pretty fun, though you had to enjoy plastic graphics and playing a pipe organ.

Though none of them (save for eq emulators) encourage you to sneak deep into dungeons to camp things, or give decent itemization. everything just gives more tokens to buy your set armor with or whatever.

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Right now rift is at least still putting out new content. Current wave of raids has 1 10 man and 2 20 man dungeons, the next tier is coming soon as well along with a new zone. They are even adding a new calling to the current warrior / rogue / cleric / mage mix.

Elsebet

Peasant
Though none of them (save for eq emulators) encourage you to sneak deep into dungeons to camp things, or give decent itemization. everything just gives more tokens to buy your set armor with or whatever.
After vanilla, WoW dungeons just became currency generators. In WoD we only did the 4 necessary for the heroic ring quest and never did them again. I recall our raid group still doing attunements, getting resist gear, and even the fire resist buff from UBRS for Ragnaros.

I thought EQ2 had a nice mix of instanced and non-instanced dungeons, at least early on. I have no idea the state of the dungeons there today.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
After vanilla, WoW dungeons just became currency generators. In WoD we only did the 4 necessary for the heroic ring quest and never did them again. I recall our raid group still doing attunements, getting resist gear, and even the fire resist buff from UBRS for Ragnaros.

I thought EQ2 had a nice mix of instanced and non-instanced dungeons, at least early on. I have no idea the state of the dungeons there today.
eq2 TOS era was great.