Best of 2014

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What are the best movies you saw this year?

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. The Edge of Tomorrow
3. Interstellar
4. The Equalizer
5. 22 Jump Street
6. Gone Girl
7. John Wick
8. Captain America: Winter Soldier
9. Days of Future Past
10. *Honorable Mentions: Non-Stop & A Walk Among the Tombstones

It is all mainstream stuff. I wouldn't mind hearing about about great movies that were not in the theater long or box office successes.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guardians Of the Galaxy
Edge of tomorrow
Winter Soldier
Gone Girl
Nightcrawler
John Wick
X-men
Lego Movie
Budapest Hotel
Birdman

Notable Mentions
22 Jump
Boyhood
Foxcatcher

Juvarisx

Florida
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Interstellar
3. Captain America: Winter Solider
4. Edge of Tomorrow
5. Birdman (probably the "best" movie I saw, but the 4 above were more entertaining)
6. Nightcrawler (same as above 2nd "best" movie)
7. X-Men: DoFP
8. Lego Movie
9. 22 Jump Street
10. John Wick

Haven't seen but might have made the list: Hobbit 3, The Imitation Game, Boyhood, Grand Budapest Hotel, Foxcatcher

Homsar

I really didnt know how to rank them but pure entertainment was Guardians, Wick, Edge, Winter Soldier, and 22. Had a blast watching all those with friends

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Chef
Selma
Edge of Tomorrow
Foxcatcher
Jorodowsky's Dune
The LEGO Movie
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Nightcrawler
Big Hero 6

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
1) Guardians of the Galaxy
2) Edge of Tomorrow
3) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4) Gone Girl
5) The Equalizer
6) John Wick
7) The Lego Movie
8) 22 Jump Street
9) X-Men: Days of Future Past
10) Interstellar

Those are just the best that I've seen. For example, I don't really consider Interstellar a great movie, but of what I watched (and can remember), it is probably 10th. I have not seen Nightcrawler, Big Hero 6, or Birdman, so I'd imagine one or more of those would make it onto the list and bump others down.

Szlia

I have yet to see Birdman, Foxcatcher, Nightcrawler and Whiplash that seem to have the potential to enter this list, but so far I have seen 9 4out of 4 stars movies in 2014. In alphabetical order:

Black Coal Thin Ice: Chinese Neo Noir set in a mining city.

Blind: A Norwegian woman lost her eyesight, but tries to keep her brain active to not forget how the world looked like. A film making tour-de-force and a blunt, honest story about self-image and becoming handicapped.

Historias Extraordinarias: A very long and very strange kind of collage movie from Argentina. Very inventive and with the strangest brand of tongue in cheek humor (can be seen on youTube).

Nymphomaniac Part 1: The latest Von Trier. A nymphomaniac tells her life story to an old and cultured loner and it's the source of many strange parallels and digressions. Part 1 and Part 2 really form a single movie together, but the Part 1 is superior in my book.

Pee Mak: Hillarious Thai comedy based on a ghost story.

The Attorney: Historical drama about a greedy attorney that find himself the defendant in a kangaroo court designed to send to jail left wing students but who find a moral bone in his body and decides to not play along.

Venus Talk: Dramedy about 3 women in their 40s and their love/sex life. The anti sex in the city.

Wolf Children: Anime movie about the children of a woman and a werewolf. Quickly becomes about motherhood, education and choosing a life for oneself.

Why Don't You Play In Hell: Sono Shion blows a gasket and makes a frantic gore comedy about Yakuza, amateur film-makers and an insane wannabe idol.

If you want a list of english language films (no order) here are the 4 and 3 stars ones I saw this year.

- Nymphomaniac Part 1
- Wish You Were Here
- 12 Years A Slave
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Jimmy P.
- Much Ado About Nothing
- Short Term 12 / States of Grace
- Sils Maria
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- The Spectacular Now
- Under The Skin
- X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Housebound
- White Bird in a Blizzard
- The Journey (a big chunk is in english).

Szlia

Some were released in 2013 in the US (12 Years a Slave for sure), but... I saw them in 2014 and that's the question Fight asked! (Historias Extraordinarias is even from a few years back).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Guardians was my favorite movie by far, with John Wick/Edge of Tomorrow/Cpn. A: Winter Soldier tied for second.

Homsar

Im surprised people have equalizer high, I thought it was ok where John Wick was pure awesome action

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Im surprised people have equalizer high, I thought it was ok where John Wick was pure awesome action
Not gonna lie, I'm homo for Denzel. Also, I felt that it had an intensity that set it *slightly* above John Wick. But they are very, very close for me, and John Wick obviously was the better "action" movie.

spronk

FPS noob
same list as you guys (gotg x-men etc) i'd add calvary, chef, 22 jump street.

not a lot of pure action moves though beyond equalizer and john wick, most of the big budget action moves sucked - transformers, apes, expendables 3, sin city.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
1. Guardians was definitely the most entertaining movie of the year. Nothing really comes close.

2. Edge of Tomorrow. I went with no expectations and was blown away by how good this was.

3. John Wick. Probably the best "pure" action movie since Dredd, but I absolutely loathed the ending/last 15-20ish minutes. It really tarnished what would've probably been my number 2.

4. Interstellar. One sequence in the movie really hurt my enjoyment, but aside from that, it was pretty great.

5. Winter Soldier. I thought it started kind of slow, but by the halfway point, I was fully torqued.

Homsar

Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen but the John Wick ending didnt bother me nearly as much the second time watching but then again I had a buzz going. Dredd and Wick need sequels

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen but the John Wick ending didnt bother me nearly as much the second time watching but then again I had a buzz going. Dredd and Wick need sequels
It just went on too long. That's my main gripe. It should've ended right after he..

Kills Theon Greyjoy.

Especially with how awesomely/abruptly it happens.

Homsar

It just went on too long. That's my main gripe. It should've ended right after he..

Kills Theon Greyjoy.

Especially with how awesomely/abruptly it happens.
Well you cant just kill Dafoe and think you're going to get away with it. And yes the way they killed off Theon was hilariously awesome. Also did it acually confirmed that Mayhem was killed at the end or did Wick get distracted before finishing him off

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
1. Foxcatcher
2. The Theory of Everything
3. Birdman
pretty much the only three good movies I saw this year in the theaters.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not a whole lot of love for LEGO Movie here. I only saw five movies in theaters this year, that was one of them. Also Guardians, X-Men, Captain America, and the 30th anniversary limited run of Ghostbusters.

1a. Guardians
1b. Ghostbusters
2. Captain America
3. LEGO Movie
4. X-men