Best place to live

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Any of those raving people on these boards? Anyone here actually live/have lived in Boise and can confirm that the weather is great, cost of living reasonable, friendly/progressive people, lots of things to do, etc?

I mean, all that stuff makes it seem like "the new, less expensive Boulder". If that's the case, I'd be all about it.
I live outside of Boise. I've been here less than a year so I can't comment on most of the things you're curious about. I came from Northern AZ. (Sedona)

I used to average my electric bill at $200/month and I froze in the winter (I also had a pellet stove that ate $600/year in wood) and sweated in the summer. Last month here my electric was $90 and gas was $10 and I ran the A/C. I never ran the A/C in AZ. My water bill in AZ was $60-$90/month with minimal landscaping and no veggie garden. I now pay $8.5/month to the city for metered water and $200/year for unlimited irrigation water and I have 1/2 acre of lawn and garden. I sold my house in AZ for twice what I paid for here.

Two days ago I went to the Boise mall for the first time. Large indoor mall with maybe 200+ stores and only 1 vacancy that I saw. Place was crowded. I'm used to going into a mall in AZ or northern CA and they're empty, no shoppers or stores. Very depressing. Not here.

I don't know about winter. I researched it before I moved. It should be no colder than where I was but it will last longer. Minimal snow in town.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I live outside of Boise. I've been here less than a year so I can't comment on most of the things you're curious about. I came from Northern AZ. (Sedona)

I used to average my electric bill at $200/month and I froze in the winter (I also had a pellet stove that ate $600/year in wood) and sweated in the summer. Last month here my electric was $90 and gas was $10 and I ran the A/C. I never ran the A/C in AZ. My water bill in AZ was $60-$90/month with minimal landscaping and no veggie garden. I now pay $8.5/month to the city for metered water and $200/year for unlimited irrigation water and I have 1/2 acre of lawn and garden. I sold my house in AZ for twice what I paid for here.

Two days ago I went to the Boise mall for the first time. Large indoor mall with maybe 200+ stores and only 1 vacancy that I saw. Place was crowded. I'm used to going into a mall in AZ or northern CA and they're empty, no shoppers or stores. Very depressing. Not here.

I don't know about winter. I researched it before I moved. It should be no colder than where I was but it will last longer. Minimal snow in town.
Thanks. I looked into it and it seems like the winter there is indeed quite long and quite cold.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
According to that list a county where I own "land" in East, TX that is bankrupt. Provides no fire protection and no deputies but has pine trees ranks the same as the current county I live in that is in the hill country of TX that people are lined up to move to for the beauty of it. Go figure.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, that's crazy. There's still such a thing as malls?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Since you had Raleigh, NC as an option I figured I'd throw out two option with culture and much more IMO to do.

In NC - New Bern, NC. On the Pimlico Sound, a smaller Charleston but with a lot of history and good food and people. Also pretty central to other coastal destinations.

Further south - Charleston, SC, or more specifically Mount Pleasant right outside of it. Might be a bit too warm in the heat of summer, but an amazing place otherwise.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still think Raleigh is the hands down obvious choice all things about your search considered. Assuming that you're staying in the States too.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since you had Raleigh, NC as an option I figured I'd throw out two option with culture and much more IMO to do.

In NC - New Bern, NC. On the Pimlico Sound, a smaller Charleston but with a lot of history and good food and people. Also pretty central to other coastal destinations.

Further south - Charleston, SC, or more specifically Mount Pleasant right outside of it. Might be a bit too warm in the heat of summer, but an amazing place otherwise.
Don't know much about New Bern, but it looks small and backwater-ey. I admit I could be totally wrong about the backwater part. Honestly, I think I need to at least be a short drive from (or actually in) a city of at least 100k+, preferably 150k+. I'm in Savannah now and it's a bit small at 150k, but I can deal with that size for other benefits. I do like Charleston (was there for 8 weeks), but Charleston is basically the same as Savannah for all my purposes- a lateral move.

This thread and the research it has led me to have been pretty damn useful.

It's down to Raleigh or Boulder, I think. I love San Diego, but I want to own property and it's just not realistic there. Boise is too cold in the winter. SLO is still a close third.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Any idea on what I could expect to pay for a 1 br apartment in the Dallas area? I don't know where I would want to live out there but I don't want my costs to double what I'm paying now.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
WTF SLO more expensive than San Diego? Really? I find that damn near impossible to believe.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
WTF SLO more expensive than San Diego? Really? I find that damn near impossible to believe.
I did a brief property check and it looks comparable. Probably not *more* expensive, but not less expensive, either.