Better Call Saul

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Minor nitpick, there is no way a GPS tracker runs on a AA battery for more than 5 minutes or the range is about 25 feet.
isn't it just literally a transponder? All it does is send out a signal on a specific frequency, the big unit is the one doing all the triangulating and such. I swear I've seen similar technology used and they were even smaller then the one in the show.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
yea he's one of those half breeds
He's Danish. Half black American on his mother's side and half Italian.

Think I've seasons 1 and 2 queued on Netflix. Breaking Bad was exceptional for basic cable and I have heard plenty of good things about BCS but man, there are so many shows it is hard to keep track.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You couldn't track a transponder with a single receiver like that. You could kind of tell distance from signal strength (like the one in No Country for Old Men) but you would need multiple receivers in different locations to triangulate direction. GPS makes more sense and it was around in the early 2000s but either way a transmitter that small with a single AA battery and no external antenna could not transmit very far or for very long. Something larger that runs off the car battery would have been more realistic but ultimately it doesn't matter to the show.

Chris

Potato del Grande
My favourite scene was the one where Jimmy is doing the patient tape roll thing after painting the wall just like Chuck showed him, showing that Jimmy just wants to follow in his brother's footsteps and would if shown the right way. But he can't follow through because of what an asshole Chuck is to him.

Second favourite was the calm subtle way in which Gus protects his business.

It's slow but it's AWESOME.

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
isn't it just literally a transponder? All it does is send out a signal on a specific frequency, the big unit is the one doing all the triangulating and such. I swear I've seen similar technology used and they were even smaller then the one in the show.

Yes, but the power required to send a signal far enough out so you don't have to tailgate the guy to get the signal would drain the battery quickly. You don't want to have to change that battery more than once every 24 hours at a bare minimum. Google FBI gps tracker and look at the images. The pipe looking thing houses the battery.

The only other option is to wire the tracking unit into the power systems of the vehicle, requiring a skilled technician to do it without shorting the car or taking forever to do the install. Install time is a consideration when you don't want the subject to be aware of the tracker.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Temp guardianship lasts 60days. Its been 10.

Most likely will come into play in regards to property damage

spronk

FPS noob
yeah that was a good episode, elevated heavily by Gus and Mike of course. Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. What a schmuck.

The show is available in 4k on amazon now too about 16 hours after it airs, absolutely zero reason to watch it that way but I did, its a 11.6 gig download (lol) so probably won't do that again but gotta do something to justify buying a 4k TV. Looks amazing!

The los pollos hermanos slow burn logo rollover was a bit dumb, it was pretty obvious I think to everyone where they were by that point. The Gus intro though was fantastic, just a skinny dude in a yellow shirt cleaning the floor way, way in the back out of focus... and you stare at it and think... wait a second, is that FUCKING GUS FRING

Gilligan is sorta hands off the rest of the season, he's busy with his new HBO mini series about cult leader Jim Jones in Guyana
‘Better Call Saul’s’ ‘Breaking’ Point: How It’s Gearing Up for Gus Fring

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Not in the way they presented it on the show. It works for movie magic because that is how we've been show it since the 70s, so it clicks. But in RL you'd need quite a few different things in place to set up a system that worked like that.

Even if it is just a transponder there's two way communication going on (hence transmit respond) and not just one way signal being tracked. Early aircraft navigation worked on sorta similar precursor, but not what would work how they showed.

RF, natively, doesn't really care about distance, it is just signal. So whatever receiving device has no inherent clue about directionality. Just the magnitude of the received signal. And that amount of signal is highly influenced by almost every property of physics that exists. So you need a highly directional antenna with a very narrow beam to really isolate where your max signal is coming from. And a highly tuned receiver to discriminate against the background shit and show you what may amount to very minor fluctuations. And that is if your target is stationary, not to mention if it is moving and going behind and around objects, etc... The RadioShack hand held alien smart gun device isn't going to do it. I've done it in RL tracking down sources of interference, and even with good yagi antennas and $60k signal analyzers it can be impossible.

They hodge podged some good ideas to make it look okay, but like most things it takes the fun away if you over analyze it. Just roll with it being a good episode!

Chris

Potato del Grande
James Bond had that shit in the 60s, Mike bought it from a shady guy who probably has some military grade tech. The audience accepts it, let it go nerds!

spronk

FPS noob
francesca really grows as a character, from MDV employee to phone monkey to outwitting Heisenberg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So we see where Saul got his "hand me a dollar" idea he sprung on Walt and Jesse when they pussed out on burying his ass in the desert.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
James Bond had that shit in the 60s, Mike bought it from a shady guy who probably has some military grade tech. The audience accepts it, let it go nerds!

I remember them specifically saying it was military grade tech, so there's no 'probably' about that part. They just said "Fuck you nerds it really high tech classified shit, that's why you don't know it exists"

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I almost forgot I was going ask you guys if Jimmy was terrible at subterfuge in BB. Cause he fucking sucks at it now. It doesn't make any sense that he's so bad unless they already made him bad at it in the future. With his experience as a con man, that assignment shouldn't have been so awkward.

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
His capn Obvs routine inside pollos Hermanos pissed me off too

Compare it to earlier seasons when he's perfectly performing the watch con with his fat friend or the real estate con with Kim

Dumb

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
His capn Obvs routine inside pollos Hermanos pissed me off too

Dumb

ya, they could of just had him like james bond but then switching tables would be the giveaway.

We would have been less mad about it, and the point would get across. But mebe its so the director can drive the point of mike not doing secret agent things with jimmy cuz he aint so slick.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think they realized that they cant go the way of slippin jimmy as some kind of master con man because breaking bad saul was slick, but wasnt a fucking boss. he could slip and slide his way around the cops and lower tier criminals, but ultimately he was just some better than average ambulance chaser.

when you look at it, his watch con and dinner cons he played with kim was really basic conning, jimmy can do those because he is an excellent salesman, but no mastermind of the long game. Darren Brown he is not.

• 1Like