Beyond : Two Souls

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Save yourself 60$ and watch this interactive movie on youtube with no commentary.

I wouldn't really call it a game at all. The story is okay and the mocap animation is pretty phenomenal. But it's literally just a movie.
Movie with 26 different endings I think, but not sure if they are significantly different. From the reviews, this is a much more linear game than his previous one (heavy rain) and the combat in it is much simpler than Fahrenheit.

I tried the demo and I have seen two lets plays of the demo. I had some scenes missing in both lets plays, and they all had some different scenes that I did not see in my playthrough. However, they all led to the same conclusion, just minor differences on how you got there/where last scene played out. If the same thing applies to the endings, I doubt many people will try for a platinum trophy if you need to play/watch the game 26 times to get all the different endings. There is apparently no "game over", just different paths that happen. Oddly not seen a comment in a review yet regarding how long the game is.

Reviews for it seem average. 6-8/10

Ellen Page is probably upset that she didn't just do The Last of Us instead considering how easily she could have slipped into that role. Doubt this game will be a real contender for GOTY.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Save yourself 60$ and watch this interactive movie on youtube with no commentary.

I wouldn't really call it a game at all. The story is okay and the mocap animation is pretty phenomenal. But it's literally just a movie.
Yeah, yeah. People said the same shit about Heavy Rain too.

I do think QD need to work on their branching narrative though. I don't give a shit about the gameplay being mostly QTEs, but they need to give the player more ways to go down paths that are completely distinct and don't immediately merge right back into the main thread. Yes, it's a lot more work to do it that way, and you end up with huge chunks of the game which people don't see in each playthrough. But it also forces people who really enjoy their games to replay them to see everything. Something like how The Witcher 2's story was designed would be ideal.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Started playing last night and it's gorgeous, the voice acting is great, concept is neat. It's totally Heavy Rain in a different setting but that's what I've been looking forward to since 2010. Can't wait to get home and play some more.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Beyond: Two Souls review: Beyond awful | Ars Technica

Damn, Ars shit all over this game. I was kind of on the fence, it looked good from the trailers/videos I saw but I think i'll save the cash and go buy GTA V instead of waiting for any hope of a PC release coming soon
frown.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Damn, Ars shit all over this game. I was kind of on the fence, it looked good from the trailers/videos I saw but I think i'll save the cash and go buy GTA V instead of waiting for any hope of a PC release coming soon
frown.png
Yeah it's really weird. Reviews are all over the board. Metacritic looks like a tennis match of back and forth. Gamespot gave it a 9.0. IGN slammed it. I liked what I played in the demo, but maybe this type of game works better in a police investigative setting like Heavy Rain over a Firestarter chick.

May still get it, but have some other things to play through for now. But if you hate QTE's I would NOT come anywhere close to this game. If you want an interactive movie, this is more your style.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

frown.png
I think the game will be decent. The differences in reviews can probably be boiled down to accepting the game as a narrative story or not. The lower score reviews I have seen boils the game down to criticizing it for not being an actual game, and it is a valid complaint if you review it with that mindset. Actual gameplay in the traditional sense is fairly limited, and even more so than Heavy Rain / Fahrenheit.

I love a good story though, so will probably get it at one point, but GTA 5 will probably give more more "game" for the buck. As to the PC version, I think it is listed for March 2014.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you enjoyed Heavy Rain you will probably enjoy Beyond. We are half-way through it and I am already wondering what would have changed if we made different decisions.

Playing co-op with me being a dick ghost and the GF as Jodie is fucking funny though. Ellen and the GF are yelling at me to stop breaking shit an I'm all like "lol lets set this house on fire". Getting the evil eye irl.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Could be the whiskey talking, but two hours in and I'm having a blast. Still waiting on Willem's stunt cock to make an appearance.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Played for 4 or 5 hours last night... Looking at a walkthrough table of contents real quick, seems I'm a bit over halfway through. The game isn't as emotionally charged as Heavy Rain, which I think is partly because of the story style, but it's still a really compelling game. For those of you that know nothing of the game, it's kind of Tarantino style. You jump around back and forth in the game's timeline; one scene you'll be a little girl and 5 minutes later you may be in the CIA, or running from the cops, etc.

I don't have a problem with the combat like some reviewers do. It's very similar to heavy rain, but instead of being button QTE's, you move the right stick in the direction that Jodie is moving. It does take a few times to get used to, but it works. There are still occasional button presses but combat is 90% right stick movements.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
finished it with the wife. storywise is like a b-grade movie. heavy rain is way more emotionally invested. imo, you could just watch the youtubes lol, the game play is non existent really (just like heavy rain) and it felt short. it's beautiful for ps3, 2 player is stupid and really no use (you just press triangle and the other player plays aiden or jodie.

but you know what? it made the both of us want to re-play the last of us again lol.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I beat this last night and overall I'd rate it maybe slightly above Heavy Rain, but I could easily understand someone else not liking it as much. All in all not as emotionally impactful as Heavy Rain was, but I enjoyed the world (sci-fi elements) and the narrative more. The ending I chose was pretty satisfying, I think there are 11 or so total variations, 5 based on choices at the end of the game and varying details based on who lives/dies throughout. Depends on sales of course but I expect a sequel is already in the works.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
I'd take this one over Heavy Rain any day. The voice acting in Heavy Rain was atrocious at points. At least in this installment Cage had the sense to get American actors instead of his French buddies trying to imitate American accents.

The ending definitely sets itself up for a sequel.

I chose Zoey/Life and told that eyeless white guy to go fuck himself every chance I got. The end scene I got was the government done fucked up again and Jody and Zoey were post-apocalyptic paranormal super soldiers about to head into the frey.

Overall, I'd say it was better than Heavy Rain. The acting from Dafoe and Page was great and some of the set pieces were amazing to look at. Worth the price tag in my opinion. Gonna go through it again this weekend probably and see if it has any replayability at all with some of the choices/illusion of choice stuff.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I expect the ending you chose to be the official canon if they do end up making a sequel.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Disturbing since she's like 15 in that picture. You pedophile. BTW, that's NSFW. Wtf. ;-p

Been watching a "Lets Play" on this game. It's seriously worse than Xenosaga in that it seems like it's a cutscene every 5 minutes. Don't think I'll be buying this one, sadly.