Bicycling

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone walk their dog while they go biking? My german shepherd is 6 months old atm and would like to start taking him biking.

Considering trying something like this...
WalkyDog Plus Bike Leash | Walky Dog Bike Leash | Bicycle Dog Leash | Bike With Your Dog | Dog Bike Accessory - The Dog Outdoors
I've seen dozens of people walk their dogs while biking, and I've never seen something I'd at first glance describe as dog gallows on a bike. I assume you can't let your dog run without a leash where you live?

I'd really prefer using something I can just let go in case.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
But then you're riding the physical manifestation of someone elses failure and abandoned hopes and dreams. If someone sells their car, there are many reasons. But if someone sells sports equipment, they've given up.
I'm all for cashing in on someone's athletic failure. Just picked up this sscx bike for six hundred.

Seventh

Golden Squire
So I think I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow:Fuel EX 7 29 - Trek Bicycle. My friend is really high on the bike and the shop has got a couple in recently that they're retailing for an awesome price. MSRP is $2629 and they're chopping $500 off. When he went in the owner said he'd sell it for $2k, which would make the Trek Care Plus $150 instead of $360 for over $2k bikes. I'd have to see if I can work them down to that though. I rode it around yesterday and it was a night and day difference between my Trek X-Caliber 8 I've got. Anyone have any experience with one of these, or what do you think of the components? Buddy says it's an amazing bike for the price.
I flogged the crap out of one of those during a demo day in the spring. Awesome bike, fo'sho. 29'ers are the goods.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone walk their dog while they go biking? My german shepherd is 6 months old atm and would like to start taking him biking.

Considering trying something like this...
WalkyDog Plus Bike Leash | Walky Dog Bike Leash | Bicycle Dog Leash | Bike With Your Dog | Dog Bike Accessory - The Dog Outdoors
I tried it with my German Shep when he was about the same age, maybe a bit older. Just holding a retractable leash in one hand while I rode. He saw a rabbit, and pulled me over the goddamn handle bars. Never again.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome. So for $2000-$2150 sounds like it's a pretty solid choice?
How much do you weigh? I might be a little nervous at a 28 spoke stock 'niner wheelset.

The other components aren't great or terrible, but you're really paying the price point for a full suspension frame equipped with Fox shock/fork. Does seem like a reasonable price for it, the full MSRP is a bit steep IMO.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm 6'2", 205-210. Going with my friend tomorrow, and if they'll honor the price they told him last week I'm about 95% sure I'll pick it up.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Worst case you upgrade the wheelset sometime. The Duster rims have a good rep and I've used them but as a guy with similar size I prefer 32 spokes especially on the bigger hoops. Also when its a stock build bike and not from a known handbuilt wheelsmith.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I think it's a great bike, but it's definitely worth noting that there are a lot of killer bikes at that price point. Personally I don't care about things like the Trek Care shit - I know Trek runs their bike shops like car dealerships, but if you can avoid paying it I wouldn't bother. Bikes take a beating, and generally replacement parts are cheaper than any care package they're trying to upsell you on. For example, I taco'd the stock wheel on my bike last season, and got a set of i23s with XT hubs off ofVelominefor just over $200. I have friends with $5000 tallboys that run the same wheels - they're awesome, rugged as fuck and not much money. I'm 5'11 170 and my normal riding buddy is 6'7 ~240 or so (that's not a typo). We run the same wheels, do a decent amount of jumps, and have no issues.

The components aren't bad, but they aren't great either. One plus is that it's a 15mm QR fork, which is compatible with just about everything. If you dig the bike, I'd say go for it man. MTB is a fucking blast and depending on where you live, you still have a few months of season left to enjoy it.

Edit: Also, I'd see if you can find a Specialized dealer around and test ride a Stumpjumper before pulling the trigger. Very similar bike, and should be in the same price point. A buddy of mine picked the FSR Comp 29'er up this season for $2300. Lot of bike, a little more travel than the Fuel, but at the end of the day all that matters is which one you felt more comfortable on. Even if you can't find one, mention to the Trek dealer that you rode one anyway, and get them to sweeten the deal for you to "convince" you to go with the Fuel.
wink.png

Specialized Bicycle Components

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sold on the Trek Care. A lot of it was crashing due to my previous inexperience when I first got my current hardtail, but in the 9 months I've had it, I've racked up a decent bill. The cost is $150 for a sub-$2k bike, and my wheel alone that I taco'd the first month was $140-ish. All in all the replacement parts have been $300-$400, and I still have 2 years and change on it. Now that I've got that 9 months of experience I'm a significantly better, but I still crash from time to time. That's one of the big parts to me; if I can get the bike for the price they told my buddy at right below $2k, then the Trek Care is just $150 for 3 years coverage, versus $360 for over $2k (which is obviously a lot less enticing).

Seventh

Golden Squire
Aaah, right on. For $150 I'd probably throw down for it too. I thought you were paying $360. Ignore me, I'm only useful when it comes to recommending which parts to anodize.

(All of them, btw.)

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I won't bother at the $2129 price + $360 Trek Care they offered me on Sunday, even though it sounds like a pretty solid deal for the bike at that price regardless. $1995 + $150 would be a sweet deal though. Would basically save nearly $400 with tax by them dropping the price $135.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Covers damage and wear and tear to any of the parts regardless of the cause for 3 years. It's pretty fucking sweet.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
And since most people buy bikes and park them in the garage for 10 years, its a safe bet a lot of claims won't be made.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My current bike is only a bit older than two years, but I haven't put anywhere near that kind of money into repairs yet, and since I doubt "regular maintenance" falls under Trek Care, I assume I would have spent those $360 and saved $0 on that deal.

I guess I could get a tire change for ?80 before the end of those three years, nothing else on my bike wore so far and I ride it almost every day.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Makes sense if you ride your bike hard doing mountain biking, downhill and the likes. Shit breaks all the time then. For a road bike, I'm not so sure it's a good investment. Short of busting a wheel while jumping a sidewalk, bikes used on road don't break much in my experience.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
And since most people buy bikes and park them in the garage for 10 years, its a safe bet a lot of claims won't be made.
Shit, I've got a 7 year old Trek Fuel 8 that still has original brake pads, tires, cassette/chain etc. Great bike the five times a year I ride it though!