Bicycling

Disp_sl

shitlord
Ok, maybe I'll have them check it out. I've been having a bit more anxiety the last few weeks due to work, but seems unrelated to the heat rate after biking. I'm probably somewhere around 120 BPM for several hours after biking. Now that I think about it, it usually happens during after my weekend rides too, which are only about 12 miles. I just don't notice it as much because we ride in the morning, so my body has plenty of time to stabilize in the afternoon and evening.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
That's not normal. Remember your normal range for HR is 60-100BPM. Anything higher is tachycardia, and then marked tachycardia, and then severe tachycardia. Because you're a biker, I am assuming you are fit, so having an elevated HR even in resting state is not a good sign.

edit: Obviously I am not SAYING it's hyperthyroidism -- just merely suggesting to get your hormones checked, as well as your other blood work done. Even doing a stress test would be a good idea.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah it's probably worth getting check out then. When I go into the doctors office they usually measure me at 80-90 BPM, but they attribute it to nervousness in the doctors office and coffee in the morning. Normally I'm around 70 BPM at rest, but I do find myself having an elevated heart rate pretty frequently. Overall I'm very active and fit; lift weights 3 times a week and bike twice. Haven't had my annual physical this year, so I suppose I can just knock that out at the same time. My mother had her thyroid removed as a teen due to a tumor, so I do have some family history of thyroid issues. Thanks Kuriin.

Disp_sl

shitlord
In July I was 140/84. I've changed my diet a bit and increased my exercising since then, so hopefully it's gone down.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Isn't someone with a good level of physical fitness having a resting heart rate of 80-90bpm really unusual? I was always told that people in good physical condition should have resting heart rates in the 50's or 60's. Olympic-level athletes would be down in the 40's.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I was going to say...you definitely sound like a hypertensive patient. ;o with all the symptoms, an' all.

Not so much unusual. I'm pretty active, but my heart rate tends to shoot up to 196 when I work out (I even did a stress test). The normal base is 60-100, however, it's not unusual for athletes to have less than that if they're fit. Because Disp sounds fit, it's pretty bizarre his HR would be elevated. Granted, he's got a high BP which could cause his tachycardia due to being overworked.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Gonna set an appt. today then. Just measured it sitting at my desk and I'm at about 90 BPM right now. I've had 3 12 oz. cups of coffee this morning, so probably wouldn't hurt to cut down on my caffeine intake either
wink.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was under the impression that there is a direct, inverse relationship between physical fitness and heart rate. And a couple searches seem to indicate as such:Heart rate: What's normal? - Mayo Clinic

Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats a minute.
Being able to hit 196 means your heart is in really good shape, most people probably can't get much past 160-170 without passing out. But we were talking about resting rate, not peak.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Correct. That's why I mentioned it's not normal for a resting HR to be as high as his, especially someone as fit. That's also why I asked if he was hypertensive, which he is. :-D And you're right, Disp, cut down on the freaking coffee, ffs. ;-p That shit is acidic!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am 230 lbs and probably categorized as obese, but I can get my resting HR into the low 50s and during heavy exercise hit the 180s and feel absolutely fine.

It just varies wildly from person to person.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Saw my doctor this morning and he's not concerned. My BP came out at 120/70 and resting HR was 65 (pre-coffee
biggrin.png
). I didn't realize the general health panel has a thyroid test until he mentioned it, and the test results last Nov. were just fine. Gonna do another general health panel/lipid blood test when I can get in next week, but there was a 45 minute wait this morning. He told me to pick up an EKG monitor for my phone and monitor it for a couple weeks, but overall he thinks my body's just being an asshole.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Headed here this Sunday/Monday with a couple of buddies:

Kingdom Trails Association

Can't fuckin' wait. Cross your fingers for me for good weather and no broken parts/bones, bros. It's like a 3.5 hour drive each way from where I live into the middle of VT, but everyone that I know that's been there says it's worth it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You have a widened pulse pressure, Disp, and your BP is slightly elevated (Pre-Hypertensive). But, otherwise, your HR is good. It honestly sounds like you need to cut out your coffee!! Do you by chance drink coffee even throughout the day and almost before bedtime? That panel, I don't believe, is used in California, so I wasn't even aware of it, haha.

Send me a photo of your EKG from your phone when you can. I would imagine it won't be as good as a 5 lead/12 lead EKG, lol.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah he told me we can either go with the intensive 2 week heart rate monitor crap from the hospital or I can just pick up a $100 EKG monitor that hooks up to my phone off Amazon and send him the results. I do need to cut down on the caffeine big time. Like I mentioned, I usually drink 3 12 oz.'ers of coffee on weekdays and then an energy drink once or twice a week. I stop drinking coffee before I leave for lunch at noon, and don't drink energy drinks after 2pm. Caffeine is basically done for the day at noon or 1 and I don't drink soda other than with cocktails if I drink on the weekends.

Seventh, that looks awesome. My friends and I have talked about heading up to Downieville one of these days, which is about 5 hours away. Supposedly a bunch of different trails, but the gist is you get a shuttle to the top at 5,000 ft. elevation, and it's 17 miles of downhill/singletrack with about a 4000 ft. elevation drop. I've heard it's the best donwhill trail in Ca.

Downieville Downhill Mountain Bike Trail in Downieville, California || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Seventh

Golden Squire
Well, KT was fucking incredible. 40+ miles (about 8 hours of MTB) in two days, almost 6k feet of climbing, perfect weather and outrageous Vermont foliage. The whole place is PERFECT singletrack. Miles and miles of it - downhills, berms, jumps, all sorts of crazy features, etc, etc.

The attached pic of ho-hum singletrack doesn't seem like much, but the park itself has no shit a good 30+ miles of trails that are all groomed/raked/blown just like that. Every corner rules, every berm is just how you want it, no rocks in shitty spots or trees too close coming out of fast downhill sections, basically everything you want in every trail and you can just mercilessly haul ass the whole day (when you aren't riding back up, heh - no lifts or anything).

Here's a few pics. My legs are useless but man was it worth it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
did you do any non-full-squish riding? would it have been easier/harder in a hardtail?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't look like anything a hardtail couldn't handle by those pics, if its all about like that. I've ridden hardtail on much techier stuff.

The attached pic of ho-hum singletrack doesn't seem like much
East coast single track pretty much never looks like much of anything in pics. Its not like the west coast or Utah or something where you see a pic and go holy shit.

Seventh

Golden Squire
There's a shitload of stuff there that's downhill/full-sus only, I just didn't bother taking pictures of it because I was too busy riding, haha. I bottomed out the suspension on my bike more than once. The place is like half downhill park, half XC park, but no lifts, so you need to earn all of the cool shit. Here's a couple vids (not mine) of the trails I went down.

East coast single track pretty much never looks like much of anything in pics. Its not like the west coast or Utah or something where you see a pic and go holy shit.
This is pretty true though. No matter the grade it never looks as steep in pics as it does in person. It's why my GoPro collects dust.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So I got a pinch flat on the second lap of my race tonight, I think I'm gonna cave and get a tubeless set up in the next week or so. I was crushing it too, womp womp.