Big Bang Theory

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I generally don't watch this show but I saw it last night. Still isn't going to hit my "must see tv" list. However in what multiverse are HR ladies on the tenure board?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My sister in law is both, so it must not be as uncommon as you think? I dunno, it's a fictional show about nerds that has never taken itself seriously, not sure how or why you would want to nit pick it.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
That crossed my mind as well. My guess is they felt she offered the best chance at some comedy. Since the boys have already had some pretty awkward encounters with her in the past. Sheldon giving her a copy of Roots was great so I'd say it paid off.
biggrin.png

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
My sister in law is both, so it must not be as uncommon as you think? I dunno, it's a fictional show about nerds that has never taken itself seriously, not sure how or why you would want to nit pick it.
Actually someone from HR on the tenure board makes sense. If they are going to give someone tenure they want to make sure the guy isn't a HR nightmare. Wolowitz was fucked.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I know absolutely nothing about it or how common it is honestly, I just know it's my sister in laws job and she found the episode funny as hell as it hit home with her.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
He flat-out said that he finished early when they tried to put the condom on, then they passed out. To quote- Penny- "So we never actually...." Raj- "(Technically?) I did, it was beautiful."

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I generally don't watch this show but I saw it last night. Still isn't going to hit my "must see tv" list. However in what multiverse are HR ladies on the tenure board?
They aren't, at least not at any R1 (top research) university -- and they're based at Caltech. The tenure committee is supposed to be only faculty and not administration (and generally consists only of faculty from the department that is hiring, with maybe one faculty from another department). The committee would then nominate only one person to be hired, who'd then have to be approved by the dean and the university's president (which is supposed to be just a formality).

They also wouldn't just "give" someone tenure. You're hired into a tenure-track position and tenure is awarded at the end of the (usually 7 year long) process. Given the background of the story (Sheldon's PhD at 16), he and Leonard would be tenured already. There's no way they would be in non-tenure-track positions, given that they spend their time doing research rather than teaching.

That said, it still made for a funny episode... and that's what matters, right?
wink.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just caught Thursdays episode. Bob Newhart did an awesome job playing off his awkwardness towards Sheldon. It was a pretty great episode.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I laughed pretty good at both episodes tonight. I know the show gets a lot of hate around here but I really enjoy it.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
i dont hate the show, but i cant say i really enjoyed the last 2 seasons either. in the new episodes the only time i laughed was right at the end when penny handed the vagisil to howard. yeah, apparently i am 12 years old.
somehow they managed to go from witty science humor to lame relationship comedy. whatever, i am still watching ...