Biggest hack this year.

Sulrn

Deuces
So, to save people time.

Headline: Database leak exposes 3.3 million Hello Kitty fans

rrr_img_120381.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finally got my OPM letter about a month ago. My wife got one a week or so ago. Thanks, Obama.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah maybe they can replace my fucking fingerprints too.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were actually trying at OPM, but they weren't, that place is a goddamn clusterfuck. They didn't get owned by "APT" they got owned by sheer incompetence. And now DHS is pushing to hire people, but of course the are looking for experts in every single infosec discipline who are willing to take a enormous paycut and deal with mind-bottling bureaucracy only to have little to no impact on the organization. Sign me up to wade through that swamp for years on end!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wife just told me she got her letter last week too. Now I have years of free identity theft from the Gov't and the State!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is any of that stuff even worth signing up for? I received a letter 2-3 months ago.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Depends, if the chinese gov wants to be a dick and release it to the scammers and fraudsters then it would be. But that might trigger some repercussions from our side, so you're essentially weighing how honorable Chinese spies are versus ours.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I read it's more of identity theft reprting instead of indentity theft protection. Not sure what the dividing line is really.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, there is no identity theft 'protection'. The best you can do is constantly renew fraud alerts that require a rotating PIN or some other ID/password to process an inquiry or new account (depends on CRA). Unfortunately, none of the CRAs are prepared for that shit, they had a huge beef with LifeLock over that. TL;DR: LifeLock is bullshit peddled by Rush Limbaugh. Anyway, what really needs to happen is a CRA approval PIN based upon 2factor for anyone who's a victim of identity theft or certain breaches. Passport level ID check, so you need physical copies to claim it or get a duplicate.

Won't happen until it reaches critical mass, though it needs to.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I already have a reporting service so I am not going to sign up for another one and put my info into yet another database.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah maybe they can replace my fucking fingerprints too.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were actually trying at OPM, but they weren't, that place is a goddamn clusterfuck. They didn't get owned by "APT" they got owned by sheer incompetence. And now DHS is pushing to hire people, but of course the are looking for experts in every single infosec discipline who are willing to take a enormous paycut and deal with mind-bottling bureaucracy only to have little to no impact on the organization. Sign me up to wade through that swamp for years on end!
You highlight why this is going to keep happening. They are looking for experts willing to take a massive pay cut for Uncle Sam, and they aren't getting any of those without seriously re-writing the books on how such experts get compensated. What they will end up with are unqualified fucktards who screw shit up even worse. Good times ahead!