Biggest video game surprise?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wticher 2 was a surprise though I had to slog through the begining for a bit but once Iorveth was introduced I was hooked (hardboiled elf, whats not to like?). Became one of my all time favorite gaming memories.

Brothers a tale of two sons also surprised the fuck out of me. Simple but engaging gameplay and a genuinely sad story. Hard for most games to generate genuine feels but Brothers did it.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Dragon's Dogma did pretty well but it still far surpassed my expectations.

Stardew Valley I expected to hate but it completely enthralled me for a couple weeks.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Alien Isolation, Little Fanfaire coming off the heels of one of the worst video game released of all time with Colonial Marines and actually had a midling review from one of the largest gaming sites (IGN) saying it was "too hard"

Game was a masterpiece that was super scary great atmosphere that pays homage to the original film with super fun game-play and great Alien AI.

Everyone should play it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll also add Divinity Original Sin. I didn't really know what to expect since I never really liked the previous Divinity games Larian put out but D:OS is an absolute masterpiece.

• 1Like

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
This thread and the biggest disappointment thread are highly subjective. I love FTL but it wasn't a huge surprise because I heard nothing but praise about it even before I bought it.

Siliconemelons

Illusions of Gia and WildArms - both purchased because they looked like Zelda and FF respectively on the back of their box - had no clue about either and ended up really enjoying both of them, in some aspects MORE than Zelda and FF!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Alundra - think I got to buy a game for doing well on my report card and picked it at random. Hadn't heard about it and ended up being a cool puzzley rpg with some challenging material (for me at least).

FF 9 - mostly lowered expectations myself after I realized I was playing a fucking cat kid guy. The game didn't get the hype that the last installments had, but the combat and story ended up being really cool and enjoyed the ride.

Civ 3 - I always have fought my inner nerd, thinking I was too cool for lame nerdy games, but when I tried civ I was blown away by the depth and fell in love despite thinking only dorks and Sim people played this.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I figured it would be total crap that I would ignore, but it ended up being one of the best parts of the game.

• 1Like

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Vampire of the Sands. For being 99 cents on a Steam Sale, it's a fairly fun game with decent replayability factor.

VPzaT2.png

Jg0toP.png

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I'm guessing Everquest is a given for most of us. I was 16 or 17 at a buddy's house and I'm looking through his PC games. Always loved RPGs but had never heard of Everquest so asked him how it was. He said he got to level 4 or something and gave up. Told me it had a subscription to play and I could have it. Took it home and my life was never the same. Looking back, there are a few moments in your life where the smallest things can have the most dramatic effect on your future. Surprising, to say the least, how much one borrowed game as a teenager became a butterfly effect lasting 15 years and counting. I've been MMO-free for about 5 years now but the influence on the person I am today is just incredible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Xcom 2. I never even heard of xcom a year ago.

Skyrim. fuck the haters.

Total Annihilation. Modern RTS *still* can't get it right. I hate macroing. Endless looping patrols in TA, where the builders will automatically repair and reclaim and the flying units will automatically land on repair pads. So simple, so hard to find.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I'm guessing Everquest is a given for most of us. I was 16 or 17 at a buddy's house and I'm looking through his PC games. Always loved RPGs but had never heard of Everquest so asked him how it was. He said he got to level 4 or something and gave up. Told me it had a subscription to play and I could have it. Took it home and my life was never the same. Looking back, there are a few moments in your life where the smallest things can have the most dramatic effect on your future. Surprising, to say the least, how much one borrowed game as a teenager became a butterfly effect lasting 15 years and counting. I've been MMO-free for about 5 years now but the influence on the person I am today is just incredible.
That's pretty funny....same here. Was watching my neighbor's nephew play his level 4 barb and it was like a massive battle. A hundred naked barbarians dying left and right to skeletons with axes and swords. I had to plot and scheme to figure out how to pay the monthly sub since my parents wouldn't go for it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I actually knew EQ was amazing because my friend was in the beta and wouldn't shut up about all the cool shit and the social aspect. Oddly enough we only talked about it in Sunday School.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I remember coming home with my oldest brother and my middle brother was in his room playing on his computer. So I walk in and see him slashing away at a polar bear in Everfrost and begin mocking him at his dumb that is.

Fast forward to 5am when I'm still up running my mage around Crushbone getting raped.

Raign

Golden Squire
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I figured it would be total crap that I would ignore, but it ended up being one of the best parts of the game.

This for me too. The multiplayer was worth the box price all by itself. I feel sorry for people who played ME3 and never tried it.

- Borderlands 2 was one for me. I picked it up to play as a 'quick game to frag some shit with my friends'... 500 hours played later.. not so much.
- Planescape: Torment, going way back here, but still stands out as my favorite rpg ever and I had heard nothing about it, buying it pretty much on a lark after thinking it was a cheap Baldur's Gate knock off
- Star Control 2, another old one that has stuck with me all these years that pretty much no one had heard about or received any hype / fan faire
- Witcher 3.. I think I have more hours in Gwent alone than most other games in recent history
- Dragon Age: Inquisition. Had some hype around it to be sure, but the game exceeded all my expectations -- especially after DA2 had just as much if not more hype around it and was... lacking
- And Everquest, of course. I was an avid MUD player when it came out and bought it on the premise that it was a MUD with graphics and nothing else. I am not sure what my /played was when I quit after PoP but I am sure it was only remotely rivaled by WoW in total life-hours wasted.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Path of Exile - 1200 hours played and counting. Never expected this game to be an all time favorite but it keeps me coming back like no other.
Everquest - I knew everquest would be a problem before I started. But even know it was a drug it still hit me so hard. Once and addict always an addict for this game.
Eve online - I had no idea what this game was when I installed it. I thought it was about boats lol. The depth of the game, the learning curve, the offline hours spent configuring ships - so good. I ache for a modern space game that has the same depth.

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
Starcraft-I played Warcraft but the concept of Starcraft sounded corny to me so I had no interest. My mom took me and my brother to Best Buy and I got a Janes flight sim or something and my brother got Starcraft. It took maybe 2-3 hours of me watching him to know I needed it bad, I ended up getting it a week later. My brother had the Terran box, I got the Protoss box and that's what we both ended up playing mostly.

Tribes-I was heavy into FPS's at the time, but Tribes had gameplay elements so different from Quake that were a blast to play with like skiing, jetpacks, vehicles, different loudouts, etc. It's too bad the sequels have all been garbage. I only ended up getting the game because I thought it was a mech game hah. In the early days I remember playing with the lead programmer GotMilk or whatever, pretty neat.

Everquest-In that era pc gaming magazines were still big and the online articles were taking off. I would constantly read about EQ before it's release and the concept sounded amazing, but actually getting and playing the game blew me the hell away, but I don't have to explain all of those feelings to anyone here.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic-There at a handful of games I won't mention here that were better games, but they were games I was expecting to kick ass. This game was a blast and you never really heard anyone mention it. The single player campaign was very interesting and hard to put down and the multiplayer, while very sparsely populated and not exactly balanced, was a blast.

League of Legends-I was a Dota player since 2003 and had no interest going into a new game, but after most of my friends migrated over I decided to try it out of boredom and the last 3 years it's been my most played game. The funny thing is Overwatch has pulled me away from it and it's the first FPS I have played a lot in years.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Kerbal Space Program. Just an amazing game.

Everquest. Never heard of it until my dad bought it one day and told me to learn how to play it so he could play it.

• 1Like