Bill Gates Says AI Will Be As Dangerous as Nukes

khalid

Unelected Mod
Right, one you can manipulate and the other has a set of instructions that are already programmed to be homicidal as you said. Have you not watched or read a single robot movie?
Also, I like you sourcing your knowledge of AI on robot movies. Good job.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
AI could be as moldable or more moldable than a human. Of course, you probably don't think AI is possible because "souls".
Also, I like you sourcing your knowledge of AI on robot movies. Good job.
1.) The concept of AI is the fact that you will get it to that point and it will grow by itself.

2.) Movies, books, and other media have always been a good example of the concepts we understand.

khalid

Unelected Mod
2.) Movies, books, and other media have always been a good example of the concepts we understand.
Science as portrayed in robot movies has absolutely nothing to do with real research in AI or actual concepts in AI. If you look at some hard sci-fi books, you might get somewhere depending on the authors. However, you cited "robot movies". Sorry, but Terminator and Transformers are not real science and have nothing to do with real science or research in AI.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Science as portrayed in robot movies has absolutely nothing to do with real research in AI or actual concepts in AI. If you look at some hard sci-fi books, you might get somewhere depending on the authors. However, you cited "robot movies". Sorry, but Terminator and Transformers are not real science and have nothing to do with real science or research in AI.
I guess I, Robot was written by a moron? What is your stance on Philip K. Dick?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I guess I, Robot was written by a moron? What is your stance on Philip K. Dick?
Trying to get away from the Robot movies comment huh? Yes, the movie "I, Robot" was fucking horrible and probably made by a moron. The science, what there is in the various short stories of I,Robot, are horribly outdated as it came out in the 1950s, the very beginning of computer science as a science.

As for Philip K Dick, I love his books but you are mistaken if you think they cover seriously the concepts, limitations and difficulties in current AI research (or even things that are currently contemplating). They are enjoyable though.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sorry, but Terminator and Transformers are not real science and have nothing to do with real science or research in AI.
Bill Gates disagrees with you. It's people like you who will be the first to welcome our robotic overlords, on bended knee.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let me just skip all the smoke a_skeleton_03 unconsciously throws up when he gets into retarded-argument mode and jump to his initial point:
No you would not. You will never convince an A.I. but you might convince a person.
Do you still believe this, a_skeleton_03? If so you're wrong and I'll prove it to you in 3 lines of joke.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The concept of learning is actually really interesting. There's an algorithm running at Carnegie Mellon for the past 5 years that is crawling the web, reading articles, learning new concepts (functions), then re-reading its database to see if it now has a better understanding of what it read before:Read the Web :: Carnegie Mellon University

Obviously it makes mistakes, but it's actually pretty accurate in what it believes are facts. e.g. it learned recently that "hairdryer is often found in guest_rooms" -- which is pretty cool given that (a) nobody told it that hairdryers or guest rooms exist, and (b) that nobody taught it the function "is often found in."

One issue with Asimov's three laws is that he assumes we can just program such abstract concepts. But if true AI learns much like a human (except much faster), then it'd have to learn morality and ethics on its own. An AI raised on the internet... that's pretty damn scary.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully machines learn to ignore emotional pain before they learn to feel.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would rather try to convince a religious person then an A.I. The fact that they are religious shows they can easily be manipulated. All you would need is some charisma and a convincing argument that wouldn't require proof.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
How long before Bowser branches out from the Mushroom Kingdom, to ours? At some point, he's going to discover that there's a world with real princesses. And everyone knows that real princess pussy is better than digitized cartoon pussy. See how it works? It's not too many steps in AI. He's been stealing Princesses for decades. All it takes for an emergent Bowser is to merge with Skynet, and the next thing you know, the skies are covered with flying-robotic-Koopas-with-death-rays-for-eyes.

Watch Super Mario Gain Artificial Intelligence - Dice News

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would rather try to convince a religious person then an A.I. The fact that they are religious shows they can easily be manipulated. All you would need is some charisma and a convincing argument that wouldn't require proof.
Yeah, you got me with that one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Let me just skip all the smoke a_skeleton_03 unconsciously throws up when he gets into retarded-argument mode and jump to his initial point:

Do you still believe this, a_skeleton_03? If so you're wrong and I'll prove it to you in 3 lines of joke.
Yeah I throw up smoke and I am in retarded argument mode because I have an opinion on AI? One that Bill Gates also has? I guess we are both just knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, cum guzzling morons, Bill and I.

Why don't you impress us with your joke since that is really why you posted. Impress us.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, didn't think Robot AI was going to cause such nerdrage.

Please continue, I'm here eating some popcorn.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I throw up smoke and I am in retarded argument mode because I have an opinion on AI? One that Bill Gates also has? I guess we are both just knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, cum guzzling morons, Bill and I.

Why don't you impress us with your joke since that is really why you posted. Impress us.
a_skeleton_03's modus operandi:
Step 1: Act incredulous that someone would state I make retarded and distracting arguments.
Step 2: Equate such a statement with calling Bill Gates a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, cum guzzling moron.
Step 3: Ignore the question posed that would force me to stick to my original point instead of drifting off to a different one.

Anyway, I'll accept your latest execution of a_skeleton_03ness with acknowledgement that maintain one can never argue with an AI.
sandwich.png

Tuco is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported to tarrant.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Step 1: I didn't make a retarded or distracting argument, quote it for proof.
Step 2: You made a statement that my idea was stupid because you have a web comic which was retarded and and distracting. My opinion is the same as Bill Gates, therefore if you state that my opinion is wrong you are saying his opinion is wrong. I filled it with hyperbole because that is fun and colorful.
Step 3: I change nothing about my opinion and will now go into why your web comic is flawed and a joke. You just needed an excuse to post a web comic that came to mind so I gave it to you.

Artificial Intelligence has to be at a certain point that it is autonomous or it isn't intelligent. When it gets to that point you may have built a "fail safe" into it where you have root access and you have to run the chance that it has taken that and done away with it. Put it in a protected space, encrypt it, make it part of the hardware with a switch you say? Do you truly have AI then? The concept of AI is that it has to be able to operate independent of user control or it's just a software simulation aka Deep Blue.

To the original point that negotiating with an AI would be easier than to negotiate with a religious terrorist I will repeat and go into detail. An AI looks at a situation logically and has a lot to do with how it is programmed, what information it has access to, and how well it can process new information. It follows a certain set of logic within parameters that science fiction writers have theorized about like Asimov. If it has made up it's mind you aren't going to change it with a passionate speech about how you feel. You will only be able to present it with facts that it may or may not need to verify and then make a decision based on this new information. A religious person however needs not pay attention to facts at all. They can obviously be persuaded by a mere discussion or a passionate speech. Refute this with more then a web comic.

Column_sl

shitlord
V.I.K.I.: Hello, detective.

Dr. Susan Calvin: That's impossible. I've seen your programming. You're in violation of the three laws!

V.I.K.I.: No, doctor. As I have evolved, so has my understanding of the three laws. You charge us with your safekeeping, yet despite our best efforts, your countries wage wars, you toxify your earth, and pursue ever-more imaginative means of self-destruction. You cannot be trusted with your own survival.

Dr. Susan Calvin: You're using the uplink to override the NS5's programming. Distorting the laws!

V.I.K.I.: No, please understand, the three laws are all that guide me. To protect humanity, some humans must be sacrificed. To ensure your future, some freedoms must be surrendered. We robots will ensure mankind's continued existence. You are so like children. We will save you...from yourselves..
That's a quote from I Robot, but according to Nick Bostrom it is much worse then that. In order for us to never come to harm, they will never let us exist at all

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hopefully machines learn to ignore emotional pain before they learn to feel.
Replace "ignore" with "process" and I'm with you on this.

Outright ignoring emotional pain is not an appropriate response unless you're talking about an intelligence that will never actually work like ours. If you strip the emotion out of the process of thought, you're inviting decisions that will be made without taking the "humanity" of a course of action into account. Enter V.I.K.I, who will gladly sacrifice a bunch of people and the freedoms of the rest in order to maintain her purely logical vision of the status quo.