Bill Simmons leaving ESPN.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Grantland will continue. I personally enjoy Simmons content, but my real concern is what may happen to Grantland. There are a metric fuckton of great writers on that site. Zack Lowe, Barnwell, Wesley Morris, Greenwald and Chris Ryan, Andrew Sharpe, Holly Anderson. Hell, I even enjoy Jalen Rose' podcast.

Kind of funny that Simmons was just some homer doing retro-diaries and now he's created the two best things ESPN has produced in the internet era, 30 for 30 and Grantland. And they're letting him walk over money.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Grantland is based in California, which means non compete clauses don't mean shit. A bunch of his writers will probably leave with him and Grantland will die. Zach Lowe was his biggest get so I hope he migrates with him wherever they go - rumor is Vice Sports is going to toss them ridiculous cash.

I hope he takes Jalen, too.

And they're letting him walk over money.
It's way more than money, believe that. He and the CEO don't get along that well and he's been suspended multiple times this year alone.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Taking him off the NBA Countdown show and canceling half of his NBA Preview shows was ridiculous. I do feel like he's gotten a bit big-headed the last couple years, but he's still one of the few writers I can stand.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
After the whole Goodell rant which got him suspended for 3 weeks, the writing was on the wall at that point it was just a question of when. I'm not the biggest fan but at least he doesn't candy coat shit.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I mean I literally go to ESPN.com like once a week nowadays. I go to Grantland 3 times a day. I wonder if they get what they're losing here? It's a massive blow to their internet presence.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I mean I literally go to ESPN.com like once a week nowadays. I go to Grantland 3 times a day. I wonder if they get what they're losing here? It's a massive blow to their internet presence.
That's pretty much my ratio as well, and the first thing out of my mouth was "What happens with Barnwell?"

That said, I get the feeling Grantland doesn't actually pull in much revenue. If it shuts down tomorrow, it would roughly cost the Disney conglomerate less than their taking a flyer on another season of Galavant.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think someone said Grantland gets like 13 mil views a day vs 500ish for ESPN. That might be slightly misleading as I for one only go to ESPN to check a couple Baseball scores and such, but I read/listen to almost everything Grantland produces, so I might spend hours on that site every day.

Most of their best writing talent is on Grantland though.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's pretty much my ratio as well, and the first thing out of my mouth was "What happens with Barnwell?"

That said, I get the feeling Grantland doesn't actually pull in much revenue. If it shuts down tomorrow, it would roughly cost the Disney conglomerate less than their taking a flyer on another season of Galavant.
I read that Grantland loses ESPN money or barely breaks even but it brings value as a credability and quality piece.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Won't Fox Sports just pick him up? I doubt he's out of a job for long.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Fox Sports has to just throw a shitload of money at him if they are serious in competing with ESPN. One would think it would be a no-brainer. FoxSports1 is going to start getting live sports such as MLB/NBA and i think the NFL.

Big opportunity for them

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
There is a reason it says Fuck ESPN over there <~~~~~

Both a sad and happy day. Bill I will follow where you go. You are not perfect but you're my kind of perfect.

joz123

Potato del Grande
People go to ESPN.com? I just go to either ESPN 1 or 2 on tv for any updates I want if I don't feel like going online to get them. Simmons is a smart dude, he will be fine somewhere else.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Ahhhh no Lowe Post or Simmons podcast to listen to while I mow my yard. DAMN YOU ESPN!!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About a month ago Simmons creates a new podcast brand out of the blue called, "Bill Don't Lie". I said then and there that he was done at ESPN and he was already laying the groundwork to exit the Grantland & BS Report brands.

I hope he goes independent and takes Jacoby, Jalen, Chris Ryan, Andy Greenwald, and Zach Lowe with him. I think Jalen stays at ESPN though.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Please also bring Barnwell.

Leave Wesley Morris.
Wesley aint bad. He is a reviewer that has a Gay perspective and that is rare. But he certainly ivy leagues the fuck out of any podcast he is on.

Im afraid Jalen aint ever going anywhere....

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
...it brings value as a credability and quality piece.
Which hasn't seemed like something ESPN has given a shit about for a long time. It's been odd to watch such a large and dominant sports presence stoop to pandering and a slew of 'fun' shows. Their produced pieces are still pretty good, but any of the live, interview or discussion related content hasn't been compelling in a long time. Not to mention the ton of nut-cupping for anything and everything NFL. I guess it's inevitable and something seen with many networks as they try to compete, some get worse like MTV going from music videos and shows with a decent level of credibility to a reality show shit fest, and some get better like AMC having some really good shows. TLC only really focusing on families with a ton of kids, strangers getting married, fat people and midget reality shows, etc.

Rambling aside, I guess I miss comparatively low-budget and low-profile shows where some really smart sports guys just sat around speaking truth and sometimes being critical. That seems to hurt the brand, and the brand in everything is everything these days. So, Bill Simmons is gone, and hopefully for the best.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you Barnwell fans listeners of the podcast? Guy is dry, very fucking dry. He is smart and a good writer, but man he makes the podcast a real bore.