Bill Simmons leaving ESPN.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What are the chances that he gets fired the same week that Brady gets suspended for deflategate. There have to be some conspiracy theories forming in Boston about this.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
What are the chances that he gets fired the same week that Brady gets suspended for deflategate. There have to be some conspiracy theories forming in Boston about this.
His contract isn't being renewed, it's not technically a firing. The contract does expire at the end of September, so depending on what happens with the Brady appeal the two events could almost coincide.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Are you Barnwell fans listeners of the podcast? Guy is dry, very fucking dry. He is smart and a good writer, but man he makes the podcast a real bore.
He has to be, because Mays is kind of a schmuck. Every podcast there are two or three dumb things Barnwell just has to smack him down on with facts.

But yes, he is not the most dynamic personality in the world. That's A-okay, neither is Zach Lowe.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Are you Barnwell fans listeners of the podcast? Guy is dry, very fucking dry. He is smart and a good writer, but man he makes the podcast a real bore.
Never listened to any podcasts with him. I just know his writing is going to be an intelligent article that isn't full of bias or bs cliches.

Jovec

?
Simmons vs ESPN comes down to a conflict of interest (and personalities). It isn't in ESPN's interest to be critical of their cash cows (live sports broadcasts and the players and teams), but Simmons built his brand in large part by doing just that. I think every Simmons discipline stemmed from him calling out ESPN, NFL, and NBA hypocrisy.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Grantland podcasts are just the best. Yes Barnwell is pretty dry and Mays sounds like a frat boy just trying to figure it out, but they still cover things from a pretty realistic vantage point which is nice. Zach Lowe is great, the BS reports are great, no issue with Bill Don't Lie. They just pump out a ton of good shit.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
As one of the "pure logic, no charisma" crowd myself, I'm fine with him, though I can easily see how huge chunks of prospective audience wouldn't be.

That said, he should never be doing live unscripted ad reads like on this week's episode. I get what the joke was supposed to be, but woof.

The Grantland NFL Podcast - ESPN

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Must be a fairly acrimonious split because the motherfucker has just stopped producing content. No articles or podcasts in 2 months and he still has 2 more months left on his contract.

I hope wherever he goes next he returns to his sports roots a bit. The pop culture references are great within the context of a mailbag but the Hollywood Bill podcasts with the likes of Lena Dunham or David Duchovny are insufferable.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
They made him stop producing content. You really think they're going to give him a platform for any period of time before they boot him out the door?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He is collecting pay checks to sit on his ass and do nothing. Well, do nothing for ESPN that is. I'm sure he is producing all sorts of ideas, content, and work he will use it at his next place of employment. Pretty sweet gig if you can get it.

ESPN is done with him, but they have a contract that says he gets paid through September. Easier to just shelve him and pay him what he is due, than fire him and end up in court over it. All the while, he has a huge platform and audience to drag ESPN through the mud and would be getting even more money from a new employer. They are essentially paying him hush money.

I really miss the podcasts though. It was some of the most enjoyable couple hours of the week.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
He is collecting pay checks to sit on his ass and do nothing. Well, do nothing for ESPN that is. I'm sure he is producing all sorts of ideas, content, and work he will use it at his next place of employment. Pretty sweet gig if you can get it.

ESPN is done with him, but they have a contract that says he gets paid through September. Easier to just shelve him and pay him what he is due, than fire him and end up in court over it. All the while, he has a huge platform and audience to drag ESPN through the mud and would be getting even more money from a new employer. They are essentially paying him hush money.

I really miss the podcasts though. It was some of the most enjoyable couple hours of the week.
It's really hard to find that specific kind of energy in his podcasts. Jalen and Jacoby are the closest thing. You could say Jalen and Jacoby are Bill Simmons-ajace (thanks cheap heat)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It really sucks to lose him during such an interesting NBA offseason. He's not the best nuts-and-bolts basketball analyst by any means, but I like his commentary.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
lol, ESPN just lost Collin Cowherd also, gg.
Apparently they are in massive cost cutting mode. Something like 40% of their revenue comes from people who don't even watch the channel due to the way cable deals work, and Netflix/HBO/Amazon are putting massive pressure on a declining cable industry to give people a la carte options instead of the big packages you have to buy now. In the big scheme of thing Simmons/Olberman/Cowherd are a drop in the bucket though.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
ESPN just lost Collin Cowherd also
Eiaha.gif

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Was going to make a new thread for Cowherd, but it's already here.

What's with the Cowherd hate here? He seems in line with the liberal circle jerk here, dude is smart, good, etc.

Anyone have info on Mike and Mike s contact and when it is up? Would be cool if they left too, but I doubt it.

Apparently a deal breaker for Cowherd was he wanted a better time, and ESPN couldn't let the white guilt train that is first take ride shotgun.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Because he's a douche that uses a lot of flawed logic, overconfidence, and rhetoric. Even when I agree with his point, I end up hating myself because of the way he portrays that side of the argument.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Can you givek examples of his flawed logic etc?

I find the dude pretty spot on, but sometimes I'd like to slap the shit out of him for his liberalp soap box routine.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Half the time he would argue a point and then his own producer would call him out on it. For example, he went on a rant that NBA guys with 'gimmicks' (I guess things they do for the crowd) are ridiculous and shouldn't be there. Then one of the guys on the show points out what about Lebron throwing chalk in the air (Cowherd is a huge Lebron guy) and then he says 'well that doesn't count'.