Bioshock Infinite

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'd be very surprised if there were QTE's given Levine's design philosophy.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its disheartening reading the last page and seeing a number of people, including Tuco, not understanding that Bioshock (nor System Shock) were ever intended as rapid paced shootemups.

Vaclav

Really, something with looting, exploring, minigames, vendoring, tactical setups for ambushes (traps etc), limited resources, is supposed to be a fast paced shooter?

There's more that Bioshock has that's more in sync with survival horror which is largely opposed in philosophy to a fast paced shooter environment.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There's nothing survival or horror about Infinite. Saying that it's not supposed to be a fast-paced shooter pretty much flies in the face of everything I've played through so far. Big rooms full of ambushing enemies, zipping across skylines, big cinematic events, boss battles... Anyone without OCD forcing them to explore desks and shit will plow through this game just like they'd go through a Call of Duty title. Vendors are nothing more than supply depots or power/weapon upgrades, no different from vending machines in Borderlands or camp fires in Tomb Raider. Tactical abilities like traps are nice but so far not necessary at all.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would say that Bioshock could be played both ways based on individual play style. Survival horror is stretching it a bit unless I some how have god like prowess at FPS (which I do not). There wasn't much resource management or even really horror on the hardest modes of the game. Those are the two attributes I associate more with Survival Horror.

Bioshock ended up lending itself to being a shooter purely because you could. Entire play throughs could be done with barely having any worry about supplies at all. Ambush / Tactics were nice, but there was never really a situation you couldn't get through without setting up a trap.

The only thing that made me take my time in Bioshock was the atmosphere. I was worried if I burned through the game I would miss something. I played a very meticulous version of the game trying to explore all areas, looking out windows, through nooks and crannies for the tape logs and visuals.

Vaclav

Absolutely wasn't meaning to say it was survival horror - just meant that it was the closest fit. (Although the PS3 only Impossible difficulty did get close to SH at a few points)

Its just a closer fit than wizbang shooter where the scenery and lore is a momentary blur - RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3 is probably best fit but its such a small family right now and its the most primitive of them.

And I will agree Infinite looks quicker paced the posts last page I was referencing were talking about the original.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
bioshock was more of a thriller and the atmosphere and story were effective enough to compensate for the gameplay that people are condemning. i like high-octane fps games as much as the next guy but not every game needs to focus on that style.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I would assume that the "high octane" gameplay will be much less threatening on normal, and hard will probably be the difficulty of what normal was 10-15 years ago. I don't know if it's an unlocked mode or available at the outset, but there's a special difficult called "1999 mode" where they say the difficulty is more in line with what you'd expect to find in FPS of that era.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say the original was 'off', but I couldn't get through either bioshock because I got bored of the gameplay. I think I'm just spoiled by older FPS games that are extremely fast paced. More realistic/slow paced FPS games get repetitive too quickly. For me bioshock got to be moments of greatness interrupted by long slogs through typical slow/modern fps areas.
Only way i can describe it is to me it felt like I was using a controller even though I was obviously using kb/mouse.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
reviews are coming out.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/2...nite-pc-review

berneydidnotread.gif

berneydidnotread.gif

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I don't know if it's an unlocked mode or available at the outset, but there's a special difficult called "1999 mode" where they say the difficulty is more in line with what you'd expect to find in FPS of that era.
From the start you have the option of easy/med/hard. After beating the game on any difficulty you unlock 1999 mode where shields regen slower, enemies hit harder and you have way less money.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would assume that the "high octane" gameplay will be much less threatening on normal, and hard will probably be the difficulty of what normal was 10-15 years ago. I don't know if it's an unlocked mode or available at the outset, but there's a special difficult called "1999 mode" where they say the difficulty is more in line with what you'd expect to find in FPS of that era.
The thing is, doom/quake/unreal aren't defined by being 'hard', they're defined by being fast-paced. Cranking up the difficulty doesn't satisfy expectations of a fast paced shooter. Being able to run at 30mph, jump 10 feet in the air and destroy your opponent with a well placed headshot would.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The thing is, doom/quake/unreal aren't defined by being 'hard', they're defined by being fast-paced. Cranking up the difficulty doesn't satisfy expectations of a fast paced shooter. Being able to run at 30mph, jump 10 feet in the air and destroy your opponent with a well placed headshot would.
That's not something I'm really looking for out of a Bioshock game, personally.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This is now preloading on Steam.

Probably have to restart Steam to get it to preload.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's not something I'm really looking for out of a Bioshock game, personally.
Yeah cause you're probably going to use your duplo-blox console controller to play it, so you'll need it to be slow paced.

Vaclav

Console controllers are just as good for FPSing once you adapt to them, the process does take a while however.

Plenty of console only FPSs created the fast paced definition we know today. And Doom/Quake (probably Unreal too but haven't played it recently unlike the other two) are paced pretty similarly to Bioshock 1 during the clearing aspect with explore segments between and the addon stuff like hacking being the only large differences.