Bioware's "Anthem"

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Utnayan is a troll that makes shit up and says everything sucks.

That said, it's a safe troll to make with gaming. Most games suck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anything EA Ut will shit on, but he will buy it and play it. :p

Say he got some extra moneys somewhere or someone "gifted" him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
I really don't mind Ut complaining about bad games, the issue is when he starts drunkenly sperging in a thread. That gets annuying fast.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The issue isn't how Ut is posting, the issue is that Anthem launches in three weeks and from here (I have been busy and unable to attempt to play the demo so far) the game looks like its going to be smoldering garbage. I truly had high hopes that after ME:A that Bioware wasn't going to screw this up but I guess there is always room on the Bethesda/EA/Activision train.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I did play the Alpha on PC and now having played the VIP Demo on a PS4 I cannot imagine ever playing this on a PC. I keenly felt many of the laundry-list of PC sins mentioned above and can attest nearly all vanish when using a controller as your pirmary interface.

When you recall that KOTOR was originally a console game (XBOX) that was subsequently released on PC is when you realize that this is a fundamentally different Bioware than we had in the past.

Now as mentioned above I've been trying different weapons / powers out for awhile. I had also been going along with the tried and true +better method whereby you increase your gear score with the nicest items, in this case level 19 blues.

Problem was that the level 19 blue powers I had were kinda meh. An AE ice burst that hit for 6 times for meh-damage and an ice beam that could freeze if it hit people right after the AE burst. Hard to use compared to the default powers but +better and all that.

I come across a white level 15 power that I hadn't seen before and so rather than breaking it down for mats I thought I'd equip it and see what it did. Turns out this was a full on AE fireball that hit for massive damage, recharged fast and had 5 charges. Complete night and day difference and no where near balanced with the other ability.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
Problem was that the level 19 blue powers I had were kinda meh. An AE ice burst that hit for 6 times for meh-damage and an ice beam that could freeze if it hit people right after the AE burst. Hard to use compared to the default powers but +better and all that.

I come across a white level 15 power that I hadn't seen before and so rather than breaking it down for mats I thought I'd equip it and see what it did. Turns out this was a full on AE fireball that hit for massive damage, recharged fast and had 5 charges. Complete night and day difference and no where near balanced with the other ability.

You actually have to think about your loadout in terms of combos and weaknesses.

Electricity and Ice are strong against shields. Fire and Acid against armor.

I suspect the lvl15 power you mentioned is Flame Burst. It's neither a combo primer nor a detonator, this it has higher base damage.

Each javelin also has a specific effect they get when they detonate a combo. For exemple, Storms spreads the primed effect when they detonate.

Here for quick reference :
L0srnuODhva4gpeSHuXHiVQg68CD4JIx2AH0Ek1uk5g.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Actually the power is Burning Orb which carges up when you use it. If you charge it up to Max and toss it hits for a lot more than Flame Burst. I was using Burning Orb to hit groups of mobs for 560-700 each without combo. I've been using Flame Burst just as a way to set up combos to detonate with Burning Orb.

Just joined a hard mission already in progress and was just obliterating both trash and elite type mobs, didnt even use my gun once.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Utnayan is a troll that makes shit up and says everything sucks.

That said, it's a safe troll to make with gaming. Most games suck.

Nah. Trolling requires intent to subvert. I'm confident he's just naturally that way.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
For anyone who played a lot, is there an open-ish world ala Destiny where you can run around a zone doing stuff or is everything run off the mission launcher?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
For anyone who played a lot, is there an open-ish world ala Destiny where you can run around a zone doing stuff or is everything run off the mission launcher?

Very similar to Destiny. You're in hubs, safe places where you talk to people, lore, quests, the usual. Then there is a mission selection where you can pick your active missions on the map, or select different areas where you spawn in free mode. Free exploration can't be done set as "private", and you can encounter people to do events exactly like in Destiny or run around looking for smaller encounters and crafting materials\loot in hidden chests.

Hard to judge the free exploration though, since it looks large, but you're limited in the demo with invisible borders that have a very short timer. 4 seconds after you fly past it, it teleports you back back into an area you're allowed to be in. Rarely have time to turn around. So they really don't want you to explore past their set demo.

Unlike Destiny though, the map has lots of actual zones with loading screens. In Destiny 1, on the moon where you can enter that temple like thing and go far far down, but that is seamless in Destiny. In Anthem you'd actually zone into that area. Most "dungeons" are like that from what I gather. I have found dungeons and such that were filled with mobs and chests with loot while in freemode though nearly impossible to solo without better gear.

--

My verdict after around 2 hours on the PC, mostly with a controller since it is far superior at the moment.

It's OKish. Will definitely pick it up and coop the main story and non raid content with a friend like we did with Destiny 1-2 and Division. Other than the novelty of flying around in a mec suit though, it didn't really feel like anything special. Most likely a game that will fade from most peoples radar quite fast.

If you like the coop group play and mission type things of Destiny\Division, you'll probably get some fun out of this.

EDIT: Should note thought that I am highly sceptical of the different tiers of difficulty. They seem to be taking the Division approach where they make enemies bullet sponges. From the text they just increase enemy damage, health and loot drop chance. Highest tier is 3100% health increase.

Kind of wish more games would go the route of more enemy skills and more enemies rather than just X amount more bullets required until you get Y more damage on your gun that lowers the X. Guess those difficulties are where it becomes a necessity to use the right setup for combos and timed group play.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Idc what anyone says or how pretty the trailers are, bioware has no credibility and anyone who buys this before ppayer reviews deserves a bad purchase.

Tuco. First reply. And he’s right. Again.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Tuco. First reply. And he’s right. Again.

This is where you're not understanding. Not a single person in this thread is saying that they expect a great game. People are gonna play it for a month or so, most likely with friends, and move on. Destiny 2 was a good game with no content that people had high hopes for, this game isn't the same. No one is expecting to make this a long term game.

Nothing wrong with getting a month of premier and playing it.

Your argument is just so bad I can't believe its still being pushed. Yes, we all know its going to be just okay. I wish you were pushing Destiny 2 this hard because that would have saved me from wasting my money then. Thanks.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If Destiny 2 sucked at launch for you, give it another go. They pretty much revamped the whole damn thing, brought back random rolls, tons more content, including story shit that was decent, totally revamped PvP with more Destiny 1 feel to it. Thy added Gambit mode which is pretty unique and a mix of PvE and PvP. Plus 2 more raids with unique feels and definitely no 25min bullet sponge bosses. I know the barrier is still pay for all this shit, but I think its well worth it for a mmo lite shooter. This trash does not even hold a candle to Destiny 2 at its current state.

Its just like Destiny 1, it took them a fucking year to figure shit out.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This is where you're not understanding. Not a single person in this thread is saying that they expect a great game. People are gonna play it for a month or so, most likely with friends, and move on. Destiny 2 was a good game with no content that people had high hopes for, this game isn't the same. No one is expecting to make this a long term game.

Nothing wrong with getting a month of premier and playing it.

Your argument is just so bad I can't believe its still being pushed. Yes, we all know its going to be just okay. I wish you were pushing Destiny 2 this hard because that would have saved me from wasting my money then. Thanks.

You are right. I’ll do the same. EA Access for 5 bucks and play a 10 hour trial. Probably last for four hours and delete.

Sorry for fucking up the thread. Still a little old Ut in me especially after winning more cash and having some beers. :).

This game is still colon cancer though. And I’ll still question myself why I’m going to spend 5 bucks to stick a rod up my ass and check for polyps when I know they are already there.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
As a ongoing D2 naysayer i can easily say the game is pretty sweet right now.. I am pretty salty over not getting my Jotunn yet but the game has ample amounts of shit you can do day to day which is great considering the story is still utter shit.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Why the fuck do I want random rolls in Destiny though? Because more grinding is good?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah Destiny without rolls was boring as fuck. You reached a point that you had everything, which might not be a bad thing for some pleb part timer.