Bioware's "Anthem"

Ladro

Anomaly
it was a sneak peek at the game but it was also very much a stress test. And clearly it is a stress test that was necessary for the game as there was some wonky stuff going on not unplayable but some oddities. But it seems like from my friend who played the VIP demo weekend stuff went way smoother this go round I only had one hard server disconect and once I figured out how to tweak the mouse keyboard sensitivity stuff that got pretty reasonable control wise other than the weirdness that is initial entry into water.

I played both weekends and had a chance to play the alpha. It has definitely improved each time. I've been impressed with the dev teams engagement on reddit/discord/twitter and think they will get stuff ironed out. This is by no means a "Destiny Killer" or anything, but it was fun to play, even with bugs. I have self control so the MTX shop means fuck all to me. While I understand the arguments, it's a bit sky is falling. I am cautiously optimistic and expect it to be something I put down and come back to after awhile.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
They have something of a roadmap posted as well
a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
They have something of a roadmap posted as well
View attachment 192979
View attachment 192980
Aka features that should have been included in the original game, but due to dev cycles and corporate leadership, we're gonna release an incomplete game and try to profit off the excess. Par for the course, eh.

Miss when games were actually complete on launch. Not just from a content perspective, but also functionality. "This part is broken, we'll push the fix with the next DLC."

God, software development is such a shit show these days.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ea is in some real fucking trouble right now too. See the BF5 thread. Execs are selling off their shares en masse.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Around 20 years ago I worked for EA as a tester. They were so strict on what would be considered gold. It was sweatshop hours to make sure it released. If there was a micro-stutter on animation in a menu screen the VP would flip the fuck out on us.

Now it is throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, if it fails come up with a lame excuse. I would still get pissed about it but I am old numb and bored.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Games had to ship that way 20 years ago because patches were not a thing outside of PC gaming and even then they were difficult to obtain. Now that has long since been solved and things like early access et al. are the norm. We have an endless amount of entertainment to choose from so we're more tolerant of shitty products as it's no big loss. Even something as broken as FO76 is just a meme, when that shit would have put a company out of business even a decade ago.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Around 20 years ago I worked for EA as a tester. They were so strict on what would be considered gold. It was sweatshop hours to make sure it released. If there was a micro-stutter on animation in a menu screen the VP would flip the fuck out on us.

Now it is throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, if it fails come up with a lame excuse. I would still get pissed about it but I am old numb and bored.
That sort of development isn't endemic to vidya games, either. Plenty of "see what sticks" going on in finance software development in my line of work.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Miss when games were actually complete on launch.
I miss when people acted like 30+ hours in a game meant you got your money's worth and people didn't expect 10+ hours of unique content for every dollar they spent. The situation we find ourselves in today is just as much the fault of consumers as it is the fault of creators.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users