Bioware's "Anthem"

goishen

Macho Ma'am
And we've fallen that far.

A 65/100 (or in my day, barely a D) gets a recommendation. Are millennials this beaten down by the games industry? I certainly hope so, 'cause you don't wanna hear the other option.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
And we've fallen that far.

A 65/100 (or in my day, barely a D) gets a recommendation. Are millennials this beaten down by the games industry? I certainly hope so, 'cause you don't wanna hear the other option.

I'm hardly a millennial if that was aimed at me. Others might enjoy it more or less, but it was a recommend at $15, which is easily is worth if you enjoy these games.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Maybe im jaded but 30 seconds or loading is pretty god dam long to load a zone compared to Destiny. My potato Lenovo Legion even has m.2's in it, i can be ok with that loading at crab pace, but not on my main rig. These load times are longer than EQ1 with my old compaq with voodoo graphics and 5400rpm WD!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
$1 or $15 or $60 (or whatever the retard edition costs) isn't really the point imo. I dropped it off my GameFly queue because even as a rental it doesn't look worth my time compared to a dozen+ other things I could be playing.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
With Apex around its hard to play this over that, even if you suck dick at Apex you'll have more fun than anything in Anthem.

I havent progressed in the story too far yet but are their any epic fights? Like those giant AT-AT walker looking shits? I feel like this will be another looter shooter than misses out on some potential grand encounters.

Salshun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Every time I've joined a Stronghold it put me behind the progression and locked me in place. Fantastic.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
The idea of saying “ at 15 bucks this game is worth it” or “ has a free game with my origin vip membership of dicksuckin, its worth it” needs to vanish from our collective thinking as gamers. Thats selling out to using a failed product and trying to justify its use. My bicycle has 1 wheel with a rusty frame but since it was 15 bucks its worth it. Fuck this mindset.

At 15 bucks, its a trash game. Dont buy shit, dont sponsor bullshit and dont support this business model. You’re killing gaming.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm all for a good "fuck this bullshit" mentality, but thinking that something like that is even remotely killing gaming is absurd. At best, it's killing EA's AAA pc gaming. We're not stuck with 1-2 releases a year anymore. There's a dozen games released a day at this point. The only thing forcing people to guzzle the year-old-jizz coming out of EA and their ilk is their own refusal to move on to other areas of the industry.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I could be wrong, but it appears that the hardest stronghold is just a ramped up Story mission.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The idea of saying “ at 15 bucks this game is worth it” or “ has a free game with my origin vip membership of dicksuckin, its worth it” needs to vanish from our collective thinking as gamers. Thats selling out to using a failed product and trying to justify its use. My bicycle has 1 wheel with a rusty frame but since it was 15 bucks its worth it. Fuck this mindset.

At 15 bucks, its a trash game. Dont buy shit, dont sponsor bullshit and dont support this business model. You’re killing gaming.
This isn't a true comparison. It's more like renting a fully functioning bike because I only need it for a certain period of time, because that time period is all the enjoyment I'm going to get out of it. I don't need to buy something I'm not going to use after the first month. "Renting" it for $15 worked out perfectly.

I've been having hella fun playing this with three buddies. Myself and another have 970 PRO M.2's, the other two are running 860 EVO's. One of the guys with an 860 accidentally installed the game on his backup HDD and he was constantly facing loading walls because we'd hit the next area before he even loaded in. Once he reinstalled to the correct drive we all load at relatively the same time, and at a monster pace. It never takes more than 5-6 seconds except for strongholds when we're missing a person and it forces you to wait for everyone to load before starting.

I have complaints, but they're not stopping me from enjoying playing with bros. Complaints which are pretty typical to BioWare games - good fucking God there is so much useless dialog, and it literally gates you behind having these conversations for loyalty and available quests. I've gotten pretty adept at smashing the Esc key to skip through most of it, because it's 90% folks complaining or talking about the before times and the current situation, and nearly zero story progression. There's one guy who literally says he has so many stories to tell, says it nearly every time you talk to him, but he never actually tells any tales. Just leads you to the next "protect the arcanists" or "collect" quest...

The story with the big bad, the guy who sounds like James Spader reprising Ultron is badass. The unskippable cut scenes that you're forced to sit through, or the disconnects after the cut scene, after you've hoarded a ton of loot, all lost. Fortunately missions are short as fuck, and 95% of the loot you get is unusable anyways, so the nuisance is mild.

One other complaint is the lack of a character sheet. Having to do manual math to make sure damage or cooldown reduction are both decent when you have items that also have negative effects (namely +50%CDR and -20% damage, or -20%CDR and +50% damage, or +elemental damage -physical damage, or +speed, what the fuck is speed? Casting speed?).

I've stacked enough CDR on my Storm javelin that I literally only use my weapon between casts to proc other secondaries or if I'm trying to lure an enemy without too much aggro. Same with our melee guy, we equip weapons based on their bonuses and give zero fucks what kind of weapon it is or its performance, pistol with gear damage, sniper with only 15 rounds, why not. When I can empty a magazine and do less than 1/10 of my weaker spell, a spell that can wipe out an entire group of mobs...

Multiple build variants are going to be viable because of how combos work. Splitting between two types of spells becomes less effective. I'm full lightning, other Storm buddy is all fire. Given this is a PVE game and balance can fuck off, the potential meta builds looks promising.

Do I think I'm going to be playing this game for the next year? Lol, most likely not. But that wasn't at all my expectation.

Does it have server issues? Sure. Do encounters sometimes bug out with infinite respawns? Yup! Could it use a few QOL updates? Most definitely, especially to the Freeplay option that lacks player location on the compass and any ability to communicate with random who aren't using the bullshit integrated voip system.

Are the harder strongholds with a solid 4 man group fun as fuck? You bet your ass.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Reading this thread is mostly a real bummer. I was excited for the game and really the world/lore. Meh on the first and strikeout on the second? But look at all the WAAAAAMEN THEY hired. Does anyone care anymore? It could robots for all I care (more than likely treated as such and probably will be in a few decades): Go make a good fucking game. I have three copies of this coming on two platforms, PC and Xbox to play with my kids. At least we will have time to talk. Got sucked into the hype for ME:A, but never again, Bioware: it's dead, Jim. Time for EA to make this skinsuit:

CuX0qGJXgAAhsWq.jpg

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Regarding the talk of SSD's: It is almost universally true that just having an SSD will get you the load speeds you want, and different models or better drives will have little or no effect. The prime use of SSD's in games is the instant read access times, which is inherent to the tech itself, not the performance. So if you feel the need to go buy an SSD for Anthem or something else, try not to get too caught up in buying the biggest bestest drive at a premium. There are certainly advantages to better drives, but they're not often seen in most gaming situations.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I could be wrong, but it appears that the hardest stronghold is just a ramped up Story mission.
Yes and no. The first one occurs in the same location as another quest and is very similar, but the encounter is 10x harder and more involved, with a lot more mobs, *much* stronger mobs, lots of flying machine gun fuckers, tons of snipers, and a lot more tank fuckers, even at the same difficulty level. You have to plan out your approach as there's no respawns at any of the legs of the encounter. We've been doing nothing but Hard the entire leveling experience. Doing the first stronghold even with 4 bros, ranging between 14-22, took us about 40 minutes, 3 wipes. Doing that shit with randos would be expectedly annoyingly difficult, especially when a lvl 9 somehow gets into your group. Performing the mission that takes place in the same area at the same difficulty level takes less than 10 minutes.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
anyone stuck in the explore tomb of yvenia quest?
I dont know what to do in the tomb

Click the thing on the tomb (you shouldn't be able to miss it). If it's not there, you've probably walked back into the the same tomb while looking for another.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Explore quests fucking suck, especially the ones that don't have the little radar. You just have to look around. Sometimes the game feels sorry for you and eventually marks the point. YMMV

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have you completed the requirements for the Trial? If so, it wants you to go into the Tomb and "greet" the Guardian, which is nothing more than clicking on the item atop the coffin.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I cant get the 3 rezzes, I have 2 done but hardly no one fucking dies in this game. Its the only thing I have left.