Bioware's "Anthem"

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah this unfortunately just needs more time. I can see myself coming back once they take care of all the issues + more content.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, there's a decent frame here it just doesn't feel fleshed out at all. It needs a large amount of work but the gameplay is pretty fun - flying, skill use, the world, the scope etc are all really good to me. Makes me wonder what the feck they were doing for the past 6 years... It feels like Destiny 1 to me at launch in a lot of ways. They turned that game around and it ended up being a good game. Then Bungie pissed everything they learned away and out came Destiny 2.

Little shit in this game though is just WTF - like, there are zones in the town where there is literally no noise at all. No talking, no idle chatter, just voids with no sound. No character sheet? Really? Tons of idle conversation with NPC's that seemingly never give quests (why am I even talking to them?). 3 strongholds at launch, even for the most casual player will get old extremely fast. No unique exotics to farm for like Destiny? I know there are masterwork weapons etc, but are they named uniques? I am only level 16 so can't comment on later, but do "armor" pieces not drop? To customize the look of our suits? The only different pieces I've seen are the two in the cash shop and a rare suit you can spend coins to buy. That's a total of 3 different "suits" per javelin... in the entire game? Huh????

Just a lot of WTF were they doing for 6 years....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Stave

Potato del Grande
Yeah this unfortunately just needs more time. I can see myself coming back once they take care of all the issues + more content.

Thankfully I didn't pay for this game. It's gonna be a game I come back to in a year when it's $20 or whatever, and has a ton of content to try to woo people back.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there even any SJW stuff in this, other than the Bioware name stamped on it?

Nothing overt as far as I can tell, but both my buddy and I noticed that the overwhelming majority of NPCs you interact with are non-white, "strong" females. And most of the men are either idiots, pathetic, or gay.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Too many bugs, not enough good to make up for it, and not a huge fan of how the gunplay feels. It has potential, and I want to like it, but I've noticed everything mentioned here so far, and then some, so I may play sometime in the future when this isn't Early Access anymore. Premier membership canceled with a comment denoting Anthems complete compliance with the lack of quality I've come to expect from Bioware and EA. Which is to say, I farted into a strong wind, and will be waiting for the next shit show of a game they try to trot out on it's way to the glue factory.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It does at least seem like the anthem devs are communicating pretty well and seem to be acknowledging and addressing issues people are seeing pop up in a pretty timely manner. For a game like this if they can maintain that level of communication and willingness to change/fix stuff that is not working as people would want is a promising sign. The official launch day patch seems to be including fixes for a big chunk of what the early access people are complaining about.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Ok, after a solid weekend on this game, I think I'm ready to give a final review and I'll keep it really simple:

This game is pretty, but not good. Do not buy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing though it does seem like this one is getting kicked out the door a bit early. From what I have been seeing if this thing had a 1 month or so open beta or even closed beta that may have helped them a ton. In the end basically the early week probably being in effect its open beta week which is great for customers at launch but a less than ideal initial look for early adopters.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm treating this early access as final beta and assuming the 22nd is the real release and we're still just bug testing.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I mean, it definitely needed more time, but they had almost 7 fucking years. How much time do they need, and what were they doing the whole time? It feels like this was one of the annual EA games, not a game that had over half a decade of development work behind it. I don't even blame EA either, this is 100% on Bioware. Feels like Bioware and Blizzard are in similar spots - a lot of the talent is gone, the hacks are still there and the expectations haven't changed. They should, because neither studio is capable of making a great, AAA experience anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there even any SJW stuff in this, other than the Bioware name stamped on it?
Yes, if you spend enough time in Tarsis you'll see it. The romance options are there too, but just not enabled, its like some of the npc's you talk with take you to the point where you could get into sexy time with them in a couple more dialogue scenes. Lesbians, gay men, more browns than whites, stong womyn, its all there, but not pushed into your face. They will do that with their next Dragon Age (apparently).

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Tons of idle conversation with NPC's that seemingly never give quests (why am I even talking to them?)

You get reputation from talking to them. Some of it is entertaining. Kind of a nice touch IMO, even though the "choices" you use do not really seem to have any effect on the outcome. At least there does not appear to be any way to tell...

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I mean, it definitely needed more time, but they had almost 7 fucking years. How much time do they need, and what were they doing the whole time? It feels like this was one of the annual EA games, not a game that had over half a decade of development work behind it. I don't even blame EA either, this is 100% on Bioware. Feels like Bioware and Blizzard are in similar spots - a lot of the talent is gone, the hacks are still there and the expectations haven't changed. They should, because neither studio is capable of making a great, AAA experience anymore.

Sounds to me like Aaryn Flynn couldn't get jack shit done, and they called in Casey Hudson to fix his fuck ups. Either that or SJW's there were too powerful and had ingratiated their way into Aaryn Flynn's heart, and thus and thereby did nothing. Either way, it's the same thing.

Just can't wait for them to pull off the biggest fuckup of them all, and fire Casey Hudson. Then we're gonna see some real shit coming out of BioWare. You think this is bad? Haha, this is nothing.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
The game in its current state is simply not fun and not good. Do not buy it.

Destiny 2 and Warframe are both superior options right now. D2 took a year to get off the ground and is in a good place right now. WF is still WF.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users