Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i see a potential trainwreck coming.

jack dorsey selling a tweet.

so, heres the thing. Who owns a tweet, youtube vid etc?
If Jack is selling a tweet as a person, that means he is admitting the poster OWNS the tweet. All the social media bullshit of course, insist they own it.

The problem comes as previously, there has never been much of a real value there. perhaps if you try coining a phrase or something...
But now, with NFT's you can assign REAL monetary value to a digital item, such as a tweet.

If you own your tweets, and, tweets have real monetary value. then, twitter deleting your tweets is criminal destruction of property.

I'm sure there is something in Twitter's EULA that forces you to sign away rights to your tweets. They can't force you to sign away your rights to your words or your sentiments, but so long as the actual tweet itself is reliant on Twitter's platform, you probably don't own it, regardless of its value.

One of the advantages of NFTs though is that they could allow you to own your own creations on someone else's platform IF the platform was set up to allow you to do that legally.

Example: a game could be set up where you can own the creations that you build with the in-game tools. A house, a city, adventuring outfits, weapons, the actual adventure/storyline itself, etc. You get paid royalties when people use the game's platform to access/use your content. Games have already flirted with this idea. It's not new. But (again) NFTs would make it much easier and as Haus Haus mentioned, their universality would allow for a seamless transfer of digital assets across multiple platforms.

One of the things that hasn't gotten a lot of attention is how devastating NFTs could be for the piracy industry. Having a universally recognizable/traceable digital watermark on all digital content would make it much, much easier for platforms to quickly distinguish legit content from unauthorized reproduction. From there is would be super easy for platforms to disallow content that doesn't match specific NFT parameters.

You can see why artists of all kinds are so happy about NFTs. Any designer or amateur content creator should be happy too because NFTs will open up a whole world of money making opportunities that were previously reserved for mainstream artists. But I'm guessing that NFTs will also make watching a pirated UFC fight either impossible or way more difficult.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does twitter actually make any money? Wild guess now that Trump is no longer president their use has dropped off a cliff.

Caliane

I'm sure there is something in Twitter's EULA that forces you to sign away rights to your tweets. They can't force you to sign away your rights to your words or your sentiments, but so long as the actual tweet itself is reliant on Twitter's platform, you probably don't own it, regardless of its value.

One of the advantages of NFTs though is that they could allow you to own your own creations on someone else's platform IF the platform was set up to allow you to do that legally.

Example: a game could be set up where you can own the creations that you build with the in-game tools. A house, a city, adventuring outfits, weapons, the actual adventure/storyline itself, etc. You get paid royalties when people use the game's platform to access/use your content. Games have already flirted with this idea. It's not new. But (again) NFTs would make it much easier and as Haus Haus mentioned, their universality would allow for a seamless transfer of digital assets across multiple platforms.

One of the things that hasn't gotten a lot of attention is how devastating NFTs could be for the piracy industry. Having a universally recognizable/traceable digital watermark on all digital content would make it much, much easier for platforms to quickly distinguish legit content from unauthorized reproduction. From there is would be super easy for platforms to disallow content that doesn't match specific NFT parameters.

You can see why artists of all kinds are so happy about NFTs. Any designer or amateur content creator should be happy too because NFTs will open up a whole world of money making opportunities that were previously reserved for mainstream artists. But I'm guessing that NFTs will also make watching a pirated UFC fight either impossible or way more difficult.
you're talking hypotheticals. Jack is personally selling a tweet right now.
If twitter owns that tweet, then thats what? embezzlement? Jack would have no more personal right to sell it, then you do.

if Jack owns that tweet, then again, Twitter is on the hook for destruction of property, for everyone they ever deleted tweets on.
note, Theres LOTS of tweets on that site for sale, and Twitter is not sueing them for it. Which sure seems like Twitter admiting, they do NOT own those tweets.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
If twitter owns that tweet, then thats what? embezzlement? Jack would have no more personal right to sell it, then you do.

if Jack owns that tweet, then again, Twitter is on the hook for destruction of property, for everyone they ever deleted tweets on.
note, Theres LOTS of tweets on that site for sale, and Twitter is not sueing them for it. Which sure seems like Twitter admiting, they do NOT own those tweets.

Again, I'm sure Twitter owns the "tweets" made on its platform, insofar as they can be identified as assets. If they own the tweets, Twitter has a right to dispose of them as they see fit- whether by deleting them or selling them. This part is pretty straightforward.

It sounds like you are asking if the CEO of Twitter has a legal right to liquidate (or sell) Twitter assets, such as individual tweets. Probably? It doesn't sound that outlandish to me tbh. My background is in criminal law, not corporate law though, so I could be wrong. Depending on how things are set up at Twitter maybe Jack was required to bring the sale of company assets before the board before he sold them. Who knows? That part isn't very interesting to me personally.

Haus

<Silver Donator>

In a way the software industry is already doing this, just without blockchain. Those "activation keys" you get are really encrypted strings which they can validate as authentic. The thing the blockchain adds is the ability to track explicitly who bought what. Before they could easily check and say "If we see this registration key more than X times assume it's been leaked/copied and stop allowing it to validate an install". Now they'll be able to say "Oh, Arden Arden is letting others use his key, invalidate it (meaning you also lose your legit copy of the game retroactively), and we see this has happened with him a few times... go ahead and block his Xbox gamepass, Playstation subs, and battle.net account"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>

There are already projects moving along to take the concept of social media and leverage blockchain technologies to make them decentralized. You see DeFi now for Decentralized Finance, it's a matter of if not when we get DeSoc (Decentralized Social Media). Imagine the repository for all social media being the blockchain, then the "companies" would just be different companies that code clients to access the information. Your social media account would be much like your Crypto wallet. Here's an article from almost a year ago that mentions some, and even mentions Twitter in it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i have read the bank account verification on Gemini is pretty intense, where they have to log in to your online bank account

is that the process that you did or is there a way around that?

Never do this.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have advice on cryptos worth getting at this juncture? I've got about 70% of my crypto investment money in Bitcoin and the other 30% divided between a couple of other things, but I'd like to add more.

Here's what I have: BTC, ETH, Dash, Maker, Litecoin. Are those all worth keeping? I don't know too much about Dash or Maker.

I'm interested in knowing what's out there that is low-priced now but has potential to surge. In theory, things that have a practical application and could become widely-used for payments, etc. Stellar Lumens looks interesting in that regard. COSMOS seems popular.

I already took a bath on Dogecoin (after not wanting to get it for weeks, I finally took the bait, and it promptly crashed 2 cents and never recovered). However I made back all of the lost Dogecoin money with MANA (bought at .26, sold at .41).

MANA has been a big earner for me and is the kind of thing I'm looking for in other cryptos. I'll definitely buy more of it if it has a dip. Highly recommend, but probably don't buy it in the .40s.

Caliane

I have BTC, Eth, Xlm, ADA, nano, as coins ive purposely bought. some other free stuff from coinbase too..
(which is about 64% eth, 35% btc, 1% everything else combined atm..

I don't think Litecoin has much future. it was made in response to BTC failing as a day to day coin due to fees, and lack of speed.
But Xlm, nano, and others serve that purpose even better.
nano's marketcap sure is small. for what it does, and how well it does it, I'd think it should be higher. so, maybe it will explode at some point. But, theres no signs of that actually happening.

I don't really have great advice on anything that I think is short term gain worthy.
Maybe Eth.. which I think should be valued over 2k atm. which itself did spike back up to 1750 from 1650 in the last few hours.

Everything is up. ada, btc.
no weekend dip, but looks like monday spike still happening.

the dip made it pretty clear everything follows BTC though. hard to argue others over it, considering that.

Theres also Banano. A fork of Nano. which is meme-tastic.

Last edited:

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Anyone mine with nice hash? Wondering if it’s worth the time with a single 3090. Hail Banano

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My bag currently....
BTC - 68%
ETH - 24%
Uniswap - 3%
Chainlink - 2%
Cosmos - 1%
Algorand - 1%

Oh, and 66 ADA in a separate wallet for staking experiment.

I've been reading a lot on ETH lately, and I think it might outperform BTC for a while, so my next cash infusion into the cryptobucket will probably up my ETH bag.

Caliane

Can't NFT's and the block chains be used for secure voting?

tokenize your vote, and blockchains themselves are already public, anon ledgers. (some are more public then others.)

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
66% Vet
33% btc

Currently, haven’t bought anything for over a year. Doing small tiered cash outs of vet on the way to the moon but sitting on the Bitcoin until retirement or zero.

Caliane

There was another thread on NFT's. kindof spilt some cold water on the idea. Particularly what they are not part.

I definitely thought there was a bit more connection to the item being tokenized.

Like, if i were to try and tokenize my portfolio of work. I'd have to create a host server. Then NFT the works and sell the NFT's. which, would basically be passwords to the work I'm hosting.

I mean, maybe this has potential for an online art gallery. but its not nearly as useful for me trying to sell the original works much.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
1615246168034.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Can't NFT's and the block chains be used for secure voting?

tokenize your vote, and blockchains themselves are already public, anon ledgers. (some are more public then others.)

Yes, I know someone who wrote her doctoral thesis on this exact topic. The problem is insuring that the individual's identity is secure and anonymized from the vote while the vote itself is blockchain validated. She worked out a system for it and it works. But honestly I think there are enough people in power who benefit from the "slightly flexible" nature of our voting now a days that nobody really WANTS a completely reliable voting system.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I still haven’t found an effective way to transfer from exchanges to my wallet. It always costs a fortune.

Even buying BTC on Coinbase comes with a $7 fee per $100.

Pretty sure my Coinbase only has a $4 fee, but it's per transaction. So I stick to larger transactions. Not sure why my fees are different. Maybe I'm wrong and there are hidden fees. I had the idea to buy like $20 of every top 50 crypto available just to hang onto and see if any of them ever go parabolic (or see what they're all worth in five years, kind of thing), but I quickly realized my idea was ruined by a $4 charge being tacked onto every $20 buy.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Fees on coinbase are calculated based on trade volume over a 30 day trailing period. If you go to the orders page and then fees it gives a breakdown and what your current volume is.