Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's not that complicated and it's not the first time this has happened. Wallet transactions are easily traceable and when the money moves from one wallet to to another owned by an entity that the US government can leverage, they get their money.
Isn't thus why cartels use monero? This supposedly can't happen since the logs are encrypted also( or some such).

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Gubmint meeting and someone mentions how crypto investors think the gubmint can't touch their coins...
Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So as a small investor who just got fucking hammered today....have we hit bottom yet? ><

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So as a small investor who just got fucking hammered today....have we hit bottom yet? ><

I'll let the chart pros weigh in, but I would say no. From my limited understanding, BTC is fast approaching a "Death Cross." It may avoid it, but so far it's trending in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, all indications are that all coins are still tied to BTC, so if it takes a plunge to 20k or 25k, the other coins are going to follow (for the most part).

But like I said, you'll probably want to get your advice from the analytics pros.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

Of note:
The seizure is consistent with statements from almost four weeks ago attributed to a DarkSide team leader. Without providing evidence, the post claimed that the group’s website and content-distribution infrastructure had been seized by law enforcement, along with all the cryptocurrency it had received from victims.
So the most likely answer is that they traced the wallet that was storing the money and they'd already seized the private key because it probably existed as data on a seized server or seized communications between members.

• 1Truth!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Of note:

So the most likely answer is that they traced the wallet that was storing the money and they'd already seized the private key because it probably existed as data on a seized server or seized communications between members.
Okay, so a good ole case of the stupids, that makes sense.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I should amend as this was sort of a kneejerk response. Been away from tech all day and first thing i do is open my phone and all i see was a dive, freaked out a bit. I haven't gone below my initial investment. Just the cycle we seem to be in. I'm getting conflicintg information, which seems to be the case with crypto , about which way to look at this. I'm having a hard time reading the charts. I have a long term bullish outlook but then i see people talking about a bear, a death cross, and a plunge. Do i get out now and hold my cash and wait for the dive before jumping back in the pond? Do i commit long term and check back in 6 months? Can't make up my mind.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I should amend as this was sort of a kneejerk response. Been away from tech all day and first thing i do is open my phone and all i see was a dive, freaked out a bit. I haven't gone below my initial investment. Just the cycle we seem to be in. I'm getting conflicintg information, which seems to be the case with crypto , about which way to look at this. I'm having a hard time reading the charts. I have a long term bullish outlook but then i see people talking about a bear, a death cross, and a plunge. Do i get out now and hold my cash and wait for the dive before jumping back in the pond? Do i commit long term and check back in 6 months? Can't make up my mind.

Imo you should let the lessons some of the hedge funds have already learned guide you: short answer is the long hold is always the most profitable. See below:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting working theory ( I stress theory ) on how the FBI got the hacker's BTC:

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hodl Fast.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Interesting working theory ( I stress theory ) on how the FBI got the hacker's BTC:

There is an old saying in the InfoSec world. The most secure password can be unlocked with a $5 hammer. The one fundamental weakness of crypto that I see is that the passwords are so complex they can't be memorized (by normal people). They have to exist somewhere. The weak link is the guy/girl who knows where the password is. This is where the $5 hammer comes into play.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
There is an old saying in the InfoSec world. The most secure password can be unlocked with a $5 hammer. The one fundamental weakness of crypto that I see is that the passwords are so complex they can't be memorized (by normal people). They have to exist somewhere. The weak link is the guy/girl who knows where the password is. This is where the $5 hammer comes into play.
You mean like when the IT geniuses make you change your passwords every 60-90 days or whatever so therefore everyone has a sticky note right beside their computer listing them?

• 1Worf

Kais

<Gold Donor>
You mean like when the IT geniuses make you change your passwords every 60-90 days or whatever so therefore everyone has a sticky note right beside their computer listing them?
More like a plain text notepad file or Excel sheet on their desktop.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
More like a plain text notepad file or Excel sheet on their desktop.
yes exactly, that too. when i started in corporate world it was sticky notes but there has been a shift :D

wait does this mean CRYPTO IS A HOAX?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BTC at $33,600. 31-32 is still the line of support. This FBI news could be enough to push a real test of that line.

Caliane

Of note:

or the CIA knew the private keys of their own servers. and the damage was done to oil, and they can "solve" the case now for a win/win.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
FBI recovering Bitcoin that was used as payment in a ransomware attack shouldn't be causing FUD... Quite the opposite. Cash paid in these situations is almost never recovered, yet they managed to recover the BTC because:

1. BTC isn't some diabolical tool that allows bad guys to get away with things they couldn't get away with using cash.

2. The immutable ledger and transparency of BTC actually makes it easier to trace/follow than other forms of payment.

Both of these things should make BTC MORE attractive to governments, not less.

• 1Like