Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It could be.

The way I see BTC is that it's standing on a knifes edge -- it's either going to blow up to insane values or completely crash and burn; falling back to its roots as a method to make purchases where other forms of payment aren't viable.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
It could be.

The way I see BTC is that it's standing on a knifes edge -- it's either going to blow up to insane values or completely crash and burn; falling back to its roots as a method to make purchases where other forms of payment aren't viable.
So 250k on the pass line?

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
If you invested 250k in BTC on Jan 1, you would have $297,675 today
If you invested 250k in MSFT on Jan 1, you would have $298,875 + $1284 in dividends = $300,159 today

Risk vs reward.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
If you invested 250k in BTC on Jan 1, you would have $297,675 today
If you invested 250k in MSFT on Jan 1, you would have $298,875 + $1284 in dividends = $300,159 today

Risk vs reward.
go back 10 years like you said earlier and let's see :) obviously the next ten (likely) won't be that way, but that's the benefit of just picking a random timeframe.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
go back 10 years like you said earlier and let's see :) obviously the next ten (likely) won't be that way, but that's the benefit of just picking a random timeframe.
Year-to-date is generally considered one of the standard timeframes for analysis. 1-year would also be a standard but Coronachan fucked up 2020 enough that its bad data. YTD is after the 2020 gap was filled. If I was trying to cherry pick data to make a point, trust me the comparison wouldn't have been that close.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Nobody is going to be able to give you the conviction regarding BTC being a safe asset to hold for 10 years. Personally I strongly believe it will be, but you'll have to do the work yourself. Thread is full of information on the topic and there is plenty out there.

on a related note, devaluation of the USD over time will escalate the devaluation of all fiat currencies. Bitcoin is the only way out, its the lifeboat

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Nobody is going to be able to give you the conviction regarding BTC being a safe asset to hold for 10 years. Personally I strongly believe it will be, but you'll have to do the work yourself. Thread is full of information on the topic and there is plenty out there.

on a related note, devaluation of the USD over time will escalate the devaluation of all fiat currencies. Bitcoin is the only way out, its the lifeboat

So bitcoin is a solid investment if you live in war torn hellscapes like el salvador or lebanon. lets get some UBI tendies as well.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Year-to-date is generally considered one of the standard timeframes for analysis.

It's nearly completely worthless with crypto, six month timeframes are too short to look at. If you're investing in crypto, you need to look at 4 years minimum.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
So bitcoin is a solid investment if you live in war torn hellscapes like el salvador or lebanon. lets get some UBI tendies as well.
We're all headed toward war torn hellscapes on our current path man. If it works for places like this, its gunna work for all of us. You think US/EU monetary policy can shit on the world forever with 0 consequences? We're the worlds cantillionaires but it won't last forever.

"ECB is the only 100% riskless entity"
these clowns are gunna destroy everything

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you can find a stock that out performs even just BTC on a four year timeframe, I'd be extremely impressed.

Those are risky enough, the rest of 'crypto'... yea long term thinking is probably gunna get you rekt. 99% go to 0

Bitcoin maximalists would have had you believe that investing into Ethereum four years ago would leave you with nothing, but obviously they're wrong. Long term thinking is really the only surefire way to get rich in crypto.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
If you can find a stock that out performs even just BTC on a four year timeframe, I'd be extremely impressed.

Bitcoin maximalists would have had you believe that investing into Ethereum four years ago would leave you with nothing, but obviously they're wrong. Long term thinking is really the only surefire way to get rich in crypto.
So you want to use a timeframe when BTC was under 1k as a comparison? I wonder why you chose an odd number like 4 years of data. Ok, I really dont wonder at all.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Year-to-date is generally considered one of the standard timeframes for analysis. 1-year would also be a standard but Coronachan fucked up 2020 enough that its bad data. YTD is after the 2020 gap was filled. If I was trying to cherry pick data to make a point, trust me the comparison wouldn't have been that close.
I mean i'm half joking but Yes you literally asked Grabbit if he thinks $250k in BTC is better than x,y,z stocks in a 10yr horizon a few posts ago. So I simply took that and put in in historical perspective to say that if you said that in 2011 you would be so far wrong it would be laughable. i only said 10year because you said 10year.

i'm not putting $250k in any one thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
IBM was worth $5.62 in 1962. It has since split 7 times and is worth $145. These are amazing qualified gains.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you want to use a timeframe when BTC was under 1k as a comparison? I wonder why you chose an odd number like 4 years of data. Ok, I really dont wonder at all.

It's the standard crypto timeframe. Most people think it has to do with Bitcoin halvenings, some believe there are various other reasons. No one who invested into Bitcoin or Ethereum has ever lost money in a four year timeframe.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's the standard crypto timeframe. Most people think it has to do with Bitcoin halvenings, some believe there are various other reasons. No one who invested into Bitcoin or Ethereum has ever lost money in a four year timeframe.
Just seems odd to pick four years when the entire thing has been around for just over a decade.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been the crypto investment narrative for a while now, there are tons of youtube videos exploring the Bitcoin halvenings if you're interested.