Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not interested in anything but BTC. 250k is about 30% of my total assets so even if I lost my entire bankroll I wouldn't be completely crippled. Though it would be quite a dick-punch.

As a few others in this thread have pointed out, we're in very dangerous waters and I genuinely believe that we're in for a serious reckoning. I just don't know how soon it's going to happen. However, when it does, traditional wealth-building isn't going to be viable for anyone but those at the top. Hell, just holding on to what we have is going to be a struggle. It's cognitive dissonance to believe otherwise. I suffer from it myself or I would have already pulled the trigger on coin.

We're literally (yes, literally) continuing to check the boxes that result in a failed economy. Everything you 'know' about 'money' is going to be almost worthless when we become Venezuela 2.0.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you post the list?
It's a little more difficult to encapsulate than a simple bulleted list because each contributing factor is extremely nuanced, but with a few simple searches you can easily find economists discussing it in far better language than I am capable of.

However, I will say that hyper-inflation is a very, very real threat that is only beginning to manifest. That alone is enough to destroy an economy (though I don't think it's enough to take out the U.S. given how powerful and corrupt the Fed is), but it's only one factor of the challenge we're facing and it's going to get a lot worse.

I'm an incredibly risk-averse person when it comes to money. I have a very Warren Buffet style of investing; I buy great shit and put it in a time capsule to be buried for twenty years. Occasionally, I've had to dig it up to make a few tweaks, but not often. Point being -- I wouldn't even be considering coin if I wasn't confident we're in for an ass-fucking soon*.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's a little more difficult to encapsulate than a simple bulleted list because each contributing factor is extremely nuanced, but with a few simple searches you can easily find economists discussing it in far better language than I am capable of.

However, I will say that hyper-inflation is a very, very real threat that is only beginning to manifest. That alone is enough to destroy an economy (though I don't think it's enough to take out the U.S. given how powerful and corrupt the Fed is), but it's only one factor of the challenge we're facing and it's going to get a lot worse.

Since you said "we're literally checking boxes" I assumed you'd save me the trouble of having to research and compile a list, lol.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since you said "we're literally checking boxes" I assumed you'd save me the trouble of having to research and compile a list, lol.
Ya, my fault. I over-simplified my argument. I'm also a bit guilty of: "I know how this works, but goddamn I'm struggling to explain it to you."

To add to my earlier post -- Eventually, the Fed is going to have to do something with interest rates. Money has been cheap for a very long time, but it can't continue forever. However, when the dial gets turned, it's going to create another set of big problems (depending on where you are on the economic spectrum). Normally, those problems are irritating though not incredibly serious....but we're not in a normal environment.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whatever happened to Soriak? I remember that dude being a goddamn savant when it came to discussions about economics or am I misremembering? It has been years since I've even thought about him.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Buy gold or real estate if hyperinflation is coming.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know wtf you guys are talking about. BTC is one of the best performing assets you can possibly buy if you are long.

It's up roughly 275% in the last year and it's up almost 5000% in the last 5 years. ETH is up more than 800% in the last year and 16,000%(!) in the last 5 years.

The only way you don't make tons of money off this stuff is if you are a paper-handed bitch.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What you love to see when LPing a 1% fee pool:

Attachments

• truth1pool.png
    truth1pool.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1Solidarity

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I would also look at real estate with the $250K you have. Specifically industrial real estate that has the potential to produce income. People will always need to make things, and they need space to do so. The office/commercial space is likely in for a short term 're-org' or re-allocation while people figure out they can work from home for those office jobs and a lot of the retail space continues to be gobbled up by online retail, but industrial will still be needed.

At least that's my read on it *shrug*.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't know wtf you guys are talking about. BTC is one of the best performing assets you can possibly buy if you are long.

It's up roughly 275% in the last year and it's up almost 5000% in the last 5 years. ETH is up more than 800% in the last year and 16,000%(!) in the last 5 years.

The only way you don't make tons of money off this stuff is if you are a paper-handed bitch.
Or it goes back to 6k.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would also look at real estate with the $250K you have. Specifically industrial real estate that has the potential to produce income.

Gonna need a lot more than $250k to make it in industrial real estate tho. Crypto being a digital land rush is a really good way to look at it.

Or it goes back to 6k.

Not on a four year timeframe, Bitcoin and Ethereum are always worth substantially more after four years.

Lightning Fast
What you love to see when LPing a 1% fee pool:
I've got ~2k TRU in that pool, and yesterday's spike in TRU price kind of made me nervous because I'd rather not have the value of that pairing go to pure ETH, but so far it's made me 60-something TRU and .008 ETH in about a week. Not bad at all as long as the ratio of the value between TRU and ETH remains mostly stable.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or it goes back to 6k.

Right. When that happens you don't sell. You just wait a little while until it goes back up 300% or 800% in a few months or a year and then you sell. Or better yet, you hold it five years until it goes up %16000 and then sell.

There are lots of issues/concerns with crypto, but long-term value isn't one of them.

Lightning Fast
Gonna need a lot more than $250k to make it in industrial real estate tho. Crypto being a digital land rush is a really good way to look at it.
It depends. There's lots of buildings out there in the 2500-10k sq ft range where 250K would at the least make an excellent down payment on, and then you use the rent generated to pay off the loan with a bit leftover as income. You just have to keep the building rented/leased and you're golden.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yesterday's spike in TRU price kind of made me nervous because I'd rather not have the value of that pairing go to pure ETH

So this was one of my biggest concerns about being an LP, but so far it looks like at any point if I pull out I can swap back to my original values immediately thereafter with no downside save an extra transaction.

Lightning Fast
So this was one of my biggest concerns about being an LP, but so far it looks like at any point if I pull out I can swap back to my original values immediately thereafter with no downside save an extra transaction.
Really? How does that work?