Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Another swing.. another miss...

Crypto goes down in it's value RELATIVE TO USD when inflation affects USD. You can watch other trading pairs that aren't USD based like BTC:ETH, in which they don't drop relative to US Inflation. That will be the case until the eventuality that we move off USD as the base/reserve currency. This is the first step towards that. Like soon when Russia and China will enable oil/gas purchases between them settled in crypto rather than USD without a USD value in the equation. And the eventuality that some day people might be paid their salaries in ETH, BTC, Monero, Whatever and then spend it in $WalMart or $AMAZON without a USD valuation ever being in the equation.

It is a very different concept, mostly because people have become so ingrained with the idea that money is what's valuable. In reality, money is just the easy way to carry around the value you produce into society (usually work, or selling goods, or whatever). The first step to breaking this concept in your mind is to think about how much you make per hour working, then when you see a price instead of looking at it in USD , translate it in your head into how many hours of work that is. That's when you start to realize what inflation really is, literally devaluing your life.
Why would the value of one half of currency pair go down when the value of the other half goes down?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Another swing.. another miss...

Crypto goes down in it's value RELATIVE TO USD when inflation affects USD.
Yeah, but it should go in the opposite direction. The value of USD is deflating, as in you need more USD to buy the same amount of shit. Therefore it should take more USD to buy the same amount of crypto if it really is a store of value like gold, or the basis for its own non-fiat currency.

I really don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, but it should go in the opposite direction. The value of USD is deflating, as in you need more USD to buy the same amount of shit. Therefore it should take more USD to buy the same amount of crypto if it really is a store of value like gold, or the basis for its own non-fiat currency.

I really don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.
The problem you have here is that you're conflating the daily ups and downs of the market (which aren't the product of inflation, but rather external and internal market forces like the CPI report causing reactionary traders to take a crap on the markets today) with inflation and it's long term affect on assets. This is like that argument about how "the weather" is not indicative of "the climate". Yes, today was down across the board for almost every asset class, and it was because of the overarching pressure the CPI puts on outlooks for all the markets, but it WASN'T because of the inflation itself (which everybody knows is happening) but about the psychological impact of the reporting of the inflation. I strongly suspect within the next day to three the markets will regain what they lost because this was a psychological reaction by traders.

Where you see "store of value" is in the long term, and you can't deny that long term the crypto market has seriously outperformed the dollars inflationary drag rate. Likewise stocks, gold, and other "hard assets" have tended to outperform the dollar which essentially is always losing value. All true valuable assets will hedge against fiat inflation debasing the currency over the long term (things which are scarce and valuable). It's why rich people don't store their wealth in cash. They store it in real estate, in stocks, in gold, in crypto, etc.... Understanding that is one of the first fundamental lessons is breaking out of being "a poor who came into a lot of money" and break into being "wealthy". You obviously get this on some level as you are keenly interested in making actual investments and making money off them.

And even some of the hardest hit by inflation in our times, the good people of Venezuela, can show you this. Because of the hyperinflation in their own country the first thing people do the second they get money is they go buy things, rather than having money, because they know by next week the money will be less valuable. In many of their cases the problem is they have to spend everything they make surviving, else they would probably be buying anything which was a durable good. In the US we aren't in the hyperinflation phase (yet), so for us the notable shock of inflation is much slower and more akin to the old "boiling the frog" adage.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Where you see "store of value" is in the long term, and you can't deny that long term the crypto market has seriously outperformed the dollars inflationary drag rate. Likewise stocks, gold, and other "hard assets" have tended to outperform the dollar which essentially is always losing value.

Could've just said this.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Haus Haus has done a pretty good job of explaining this IMO. Inflation is hidden taxation (theft) of the populations productive time (life force if you want to frame it that way). Bitcoin represents, among other things, a monetary base that cannot be printed/inflated. You're seeing the monetization of the future reserve currency, unit of account, medium of exchange, in real time. This goes back to why I'm always harping about being careful what 'crypto' you put your value into. If your coin can be centrally printed/controlled you're kind of missing the entire purpose of what is happening in this space. You're just trading the Fed/Central Bankers for the Ethereum Foundation, or VCs that back your coin of choice. (NOTE: This is in the context of monetary debasement, Web 3.0 or whatever narrative of the week is another discussion)

Zoom out your timeframe, and you'll see what we're talking about. Focusing on short term moves is foolish in this context and indicative of a fiat mindset.
1644587208921.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That is literally the most retarded tweet on earth.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Looks like the Intel ASIC rumor is true

I love how the picture in the article is literally a first-gen Pentium.

And now I'm pissed that I misplaced mine. I've got 2 486s, 2 early 2000s Xeons, an extremely sweet looking LGA-style UltraSparc IV+, and a Pentium II cartridge all within reach of me, but I can't find the Pentium 166 mhz from the first PC I built.

• 1Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ill admit im not expert on merkle trees or whatever, but one of the biggest barriers for common folk is the trust/exchange thing. People have learned over the years to “trust” banks….i dont mean as a moral compass, but in that if i put 100$ in my account it will be there next week. With the horror stories around hacked exchanges and shit, along with some technical confusion, most normal people are a bit hesitant.

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing exchanges regulated….to a degree. Im all for letting people invest in shit, either stocks or coins, so long as they are offered honest facts and data and not cheated/lied to. I mean fuck, i hate that joel olestein fucker and think he is one of the biggest conartists of our time, but if grandma wants to keep sending her last 50$ to him….who am i to stop it?
Tldr on merkle trees: just a hash tree for maintaining data integrity. They’re taking snapshots of data and hashing them into this data structure which results in unique outputs.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Interested in getting into crypto just to diversify my investments. Im not a day trader and plan on holding investments for at least a year most likely. Im pretty familiar with blockchain/blockchain tech just not so much with crypto.

Any suggestions on coins to look into?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Interested in getting into crypto just to diversify my investments. Im not a day trader and plan on holding investments for at least a year most likely. Im pretty familiar with blockchain/blockchain tech just not so much with crypto.

Any suggestions on coins to look into?

Bitcoin.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
And on today's episode which we call "Jon Stewart 5 minutes before he discovered Bitcoin"

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
And on today's episode which we call "Jon Stewart 5 minutes before he discovered Bitcoin"

Yeah.

When you know fiat is trash, but then watch Fed chairmen agree w you, bc they're why we're in this mess... I mean it's nice and all, but hella triggering at the same time.