Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Tweet unavailable.
I've been having that intermittently.. .Click on it, it's there. Then when you come back here, it will be here. Something is screwy with the twitter integration, (maybe they've detected that we're Elon supporters and screwing with us?!?!)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll get to absorbing it! It's funny because my whole life I've been very "I'm not going to invest, I'm going to spend my money now while I can enjoy it! Who even knows if I'll live to see a retirement?".... but I'm 42 now, have a well paying job and could easy save/invest, I've just never been interested in looking into it. The more I'm reading/watching, the more I'm like "Why am I not doing this?", so this kind of worked out. The more I learn, the more stupid I feel for not doing this 10 years ago. So, looks like this whole situation is probably putting me on a better path too.

Thanks again!

What you are looking for is the Boglehead 3 Fund Portfolio. My personal take (and I would wait for Blazin Blazin or Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes to shit on it) is that 60/20/20 is not as good as it was 20 years ago because a few decades of near 0 interest rates have made bond funds less important and a the current climate of international holdings is centered on China and Europe which are going to have real issues with their economies in the next 20 years due to demographic decline. Personally, my boglehead 3 is 80% in VTSAX, 10% in VTIAX, and 10% in VBTLX. The bond fund is going to look really bad compared to other indexes but that is because bonds are supposed to be there to sustain your portfolio when the stock market is bad and stocks have been stellar since rates have been held near 0. Who knows, as the rates rise and quant easing is eliminated again there may be a resurgence in the bond market.

I say all this as a relatively ignorant investor working off practical concepts, much like yourself.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What you are looking for is the Boglehead 3 Fund Portfolio. My personal take (and I would wait for Blazin Blazin or Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes to shit on it) is that 60/20/20 is not as good as it was 20 years ago because a few decades of near 0 interest rates have made bond funds less important and a the current climate of international holdings is centered on China and Europe which are going to have real issues with their economies in the next 20 years due to demographic decline. Personally, my boglehead 3 is 80% in VTSAX, 10% in VTIAX, and 10% in VBTLX. The bond fund is going to look really bad compared to other indexes but that is because bonds are supposed to be there to sustain your portfolio when the stock market is bad and stocks have been stellar since rates have been held near 0. Who knows, as the rates rise and quant easing is eliminated again there may be a resurgence in the bond market.

I say all this as a relatively ignorant investor working off practical concepts, much like yourself.
Yeah I agree. A while back it was a solid idea. Shitty global stocks and crap bonds really make it a stinker of a strategy in today's market. We have discussed using iBonds from the US Govt to generate some decent bond yields for a fixed income component of a portfolio. As for global stocks...

ew throw up GIF

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've been having that intermittently.. .Click on it, it's there. Then when you come back here, it will be here. Something is screwy with the twitter integration, (maybe they've detected that we're Elon supporters and screwing with us?!?!)

All of the Elon-hating might well be the stupidest fucking thing I've seen in a long time. The projection is off the charts. And I thought people wishing death on Rittenhouse was idiotic.

Literally every negative thing the news puts in people's heads about Musk can be disproven with like 2-5 minutes on google. Him making Twitter open-source means he can't do any of the things he's being accused of planning, because any algorithm-futzing will immediately be detected.

Anyway back to crypto, just wanted to say Fuck The Anti-Muskers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Literally every negative thing the news puts in people's heads about Musk can be disproven with like 2-5 minutes on google. Him making Twitter open-source means he can't do any of the things he's being accused of planning, because any algorithm-futzing will immediately be detected.
That's actually not how open-source or machine learning actually works.

Open source does not mean you can see the code running like you were in the Matrix. It just means you have a copy some portion of the code that's been made public (and also free to use and incorporate into other open-source projects.) So even if the publish the entirety of the ML code that the content aggregation algorithm works on, that's just one piece of the puzzle.

Even if you had the ML code that Twitter currently runs on, unless you then train it with the exact same dataset that the currently running algorithm has, and it is trained with the exact same history as the original algorithm, it will not produce the same results. That's the "magic" of machine learning, it does not tell you *why* it is doing things.

The whole "open source the algorithm" thing is a giant red herring. What Elon really needs to do is turn Twitter into an open-source *protocol* that can be incorporated into other products and services. Tim Sweeney of Epic is very interested in trying to convince him to make this happen and supposedly already has a lot of the framework for it laid out in his mind. If blockchain becomes a part of that protocol it could lead to some interesting developments, but I don't actually think that's a necessity and possibly not even a good idea.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Open source does not mean you can see the code running like you were in the Matrix. It just means you have a copy some portion of the code that's been made public (and also free to use and incorporate into other open-source projects.) So even if the publish the entirety of the ML code that the content aggregation algorithm works on, that's just one piece of the puzzle.

Even if you had the ML code that Twitter currently runs on, unless you then train it with the exact same dataset that the currently running algorithm has, and it is trained with the exact same history as the original algorithm, it will not produce the same results. That's the "magic" of machine learning, it does not tell you *why* it is doing things.

The whole "open source the algorithm" thing is a giant red herring. What Elon really needs to do is turn Twitter into an open-source *protocol* that can be incorporated into other products and services. Tim Sweeney of Epic is very interested in trying to convince him to make this happen and supposedly already has a lot of the framework for it laid out in his mind. If blockchain becomes a part of that protocol it could lead to some interesting developments, but I don't actually think that's a necessity and possibly not even a good idea.
Wut? Same data and same methods or architecture, would produce nearly identical model and then nearly identical results. What are you saying lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wut? Same data and same methods or architecture, would produce nearly identical model and then nearly identical results. What are you saying lol.
You wouldn't have the complete version history of the algorithm nor do you have the complete dataset for Twitter as posts have been deleted, etc, so you can't actually re-run the same training.

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You wouldn't have the complete version history of the algorithm nor do you have the complete dataset for Twitter as posts have been deleted, etc, so you can't actually re-run the same training.

You're being pedantic.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was replying to your claim that exactly same data would not yield same results and that was incorrect.

As for training, sure you won't be able to train on old data but new similar data comes in all the time and you can train new models on that
In fact, models are always updated and trained on new data. Not having old data would not preclude creating models that work. And you don't need different versions of the algorithms, you just need the last one that yielded best results.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This has nothing to do with crypto itself though? This is just a combination of "skin in the game" and incentivizing people to report bots, no? The skin in the game just happens to be a shitcoin.

It's a suggestion to try and do exactly what I posted about previously: use a cryptocurrency as an authenticator and a token system for both payments and voting.

If it actually got implemented for Twitter it would be a huge step towards Web3. Who knows if it would actually get implemented, though. Like I was saying before, Twitter isn't some startup experimental application. Even if he owns it, Musk has limitations on what he's going to be able to do and how quickly he'll be able to do it.

Understand though, this is the direction our billionaire overlords are pushing us in. It's going to be baby steps, because they are going to need to ease us into this type of thing and they know it. Initially, it will be couched like Musk has already hinted, as a "fun" thing to add:

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This has nothing to do with crypto itself though? This is just a combination of "skin in the game" and incentivizing people to report bots, no? The skin in the game just happens to be a shitcoin.

Might I propose that the crypto of choice for the world's largest and most engaged social network is no longer a shitcoin.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Might I propose that the crypto of choice for the world's largest and most engaged social network is no longer a shitcoin.

Exactly. By all rights Doge *should* be a shit coin. Hell, it was designed as a joke. That said, if enough powerful people with enough resources and ability decide they want to make it into something other than a shitcoin, they can do that.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Exactly. By all rights Doge *should* be a shit coin. Hell, it was designed as a joke. That said, if enough powerful people with enough resources and ability decide they want to make it into something other than a shitcoin, they can do that.

It was designed as a joke based on a fundamentally sound coin and DOGE can arguably operate more effeciently that Bitcoin.

• 1Worf

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was designed as a joke based on a fundamentally sound coin and DOGE can arguably operate more effeciently that Bitcoin.

Right. Fundamentally sound base but it needed network upgrades (from what I understand) and both Musk and Vitalik have helped with that.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Right. Fundamentally sound base but it needed network upgrades (from what I understand) and both Musk and Vitalik have helped with that.

Being 5 years younger than Bitcoin that doesn't seem to be unusual.

Ethereum still can't scale, haha.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Well, that's interesting. If Elon is genuine about wanting full transparency, he'll go all-in with making the programming as available for dissection as possible. I think he'll do whatever he needs to do to "prove" himself, as evidenced by his past behavior when he came under criticism.

I'm not that keen on incorporating blockchain either, but unfortunately that's probably where we're headed eventually.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If you really want to make money, just search all of Mist Mist 's posts in this thread and do the opposite

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

"Just say NO to Doges"

-Rajaah

Actually I do think Doge is gonna have its day again, and entirely due to the machinations of Musk. Probably Shiba too. But IDK, I no longer dabble in the shitcoins.