Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bitcoin ripping again after hours.
Its actually worth something this time. Promise.

barack obama GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Late 2024 early 2025 it'll hit ATH again and likely cross into 6 digit territory. Historically the spike to ATH has lagged after each halving.

Next halving is scheduled for March 2024.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bitcoin ripping again after hours.
I've been talking about this too. I think it means that speculative investors are looking for big holes to light money on fire. I expect speculative tech stocks to also rip upwards, think fintech stuff like SoFI.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Capture - Copy.JPG

anyone with crypto still on an exchange, esp binance, should be advised

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Glenn Greenwald did a great program about how elites just bought up MBF trash, SBF, whatever his name is. He literally bribed worthless leftist globalist media.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I did sell a small fraction of ETH I've had and it seems to be successfully sending the USD to my bank account so maybe worst case I can do that with the rest.

If all else fails, yeah. Just try not to create too many taxable events.

Got a question for the room: Been wanting to do some mining for a while now and the prices of Antminer T9+ and S9 seem to have really dropped recently. I'm thinking about making use of my ultra-cheap potential power sources and setting up a bank of like 7-10 of them to mine Bitcoin 24/7, which by all mining calculations would probably make me about $10 a day (give or take a couple dollars) even with BTC what it is now. Doesn't seem like much but it's a nice extra few thousand by the end of the year if I can get it up and running. So the question is, is it a particularly bad idea to buy used Antminers? Going for entirely new ones would basically double the buy-in cost.

Also, any preferences on T9+ versus S9? I'm reading that S9 is more beginner-friendly and pumps out a little more ROI, while T9+ is bargain-basement price and isn't much lower in output.

Caliane

Eth shanghai fork is coming soon. This will free up Eth staking, allowing staked eth to be sold again.
I imagine everyone here has been paying attention, and was aware, but no posts on it. so, thought I would mention it.

Along with that securities. Kraken folded. payed a fine and shut down staking. ADA staking was stopped feb 8th. Eth is being halted on kraken when shanghai fork hits.

Coinbase is "in talks" and apparently is still staking.
I'm not sure whats up with Gemini and staking.

Brave browser is also shifting its local web based BAT, requiring you to deposit it to an exchange. this is happening in march or april. you can do the exchange now.
currently, with Uphold or Gemini.

I shifted my BAT to Gemini, and I noticed Gemini had links for eth and matic staking still. so, not sure how theirs is working.

(I looked into Daedalus Wallet for ada staking, but that wants like 200+gigs.. ooph.)

fris

Vyemm Raider
tax question, sorry if this was previously answered

I know a guy that mined some coin for most of last year. he has a report every 6 hours, showing how much coin he 'received', and a corresponding report showing the value of that coin at that time.

the tax question is, is mined coins you get when part of a group considered income? or is there no tax 'event' until those coins are sold? i know that's the case for buying and selling, i never considered the taxable event when mined

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
tax question, sorry if this was previously answered

I know a guy that mined some coin for most of last year. he has a report every 6 hours, showing how much coin he 'received', and a corresponding report showing the value of that coin at that time.

the tax question is, is mined coins you get when part of a group considered income? or is there no tax 'event' until those coins are sold? i know that's the case for buying and selling, i never considered the taxable event when mined
Mined coin is taxed upon receipt, not when its sold.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do not have a problem with that if the law is clear and consistent. Honestly that is no different than paying taxing on you company options strike price at the time of execution vs time of sale. Now “is that right” fair discussion for another day, but the concept is certainly not abnormal.

this is my beef with crypto. I’m ok with any rules(not really but you get my drift), but make them honest and clear