Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Tomorrowland NFT's have real life value, since owning the 3 that are part of the collection guarantees you will be able to buy 4 tickets every year.

NFT's without such a component are worthless.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Wouldnt be turning it into USD for the foreseeable future. Just wondering if, hypothetically, a player could remove some BTC and sit on it anonymously relatively simply. Also, if this player wanted to transfer that BTC to another site that may be a little more above board like, say, a poker site. Or just sit on it and if BTC ever moons again then look into USD options.
Right on, then yea the options I listed would be the best bet. using mixer would give forward facing privacy (anyone that knew you owned a particular UTXO wouldn't know what you did with it) and you could just hold that in a wallet till whenever. If privacy is a concern I would suggest learning about address reuse (don't do it) and UTXO management more broadly. Not hard to dox yourself if you don't understand this stuff.

Good primer on privacy basics here: Bitcoin Privacy 101

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nevermind- chat GPT is worse than useless for financial predictions. for now anyway

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nevermind- chat GPT is worse than useless for financial predictions. for now anyway
Haven't read up on chatGPT in a few months, but the glaringly obvious flaw was it doesn't have live financial data whatsoever. In fact, the entire AI database was based on year(s) old archive data. Kind of useless for making any kind of forward projections. You could perhaps build some advanced backtesting strategies and perhaps some other backward looking data uses.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't read up on chatGPT in a few months, but the glaringly obvious flaw was it doesn't have live financial data whatsoever. In fact, the entire AI database was based on year(s) old archive data. Kind of useless for making any kind of forward projections. You could perhaps build some advanced backtesting strategies and perhaps some other backward looking data uses.

The new GPT connects to the nets and can provide up to date data. The issue is it seems limited in the sites it targets and the data it scrapes. You can point it to certain sites though, so that alleviates some of the issue. For example:

Highs - Copy.jpg

I'm sure they have GPT models specifically built to handle financial stuff. This is what it eventually spit out:

Answer - Copy.jpg

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Obviously, the above is a super simple query that anyone could do if they took 10 minutes. I tried to get it to prepare a chart showing the predicted price from between now and 2/1/23. It gave me a crazy looking chart that was clearly insane but that ended up with a pretty reasonable final BTC price on 2/1/23. Then I realized all it had done was add a 10% increase in total value to BTC and drawn a bunch of insanely volatile swing lines on the chart. We all know crypto is volatile, but that chart is lol. Regardless, I'm curious about what made it add a 10% value between now and 2/1/23. More than likely, it just picked up some article that estimated that result- but who knows? I will be checking on 2/1 to see how close we are to this predicted high of ~42,250.

BTC CHart - Copy.png

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The great thing about GPT is that you can always ask. Unfortunately it doesn't always give you useful data. In this case I could probably continue to dig to try and figure out where it got the data for "recent market trends" and what factors within the data made it land on a 10% increase, etc.

Ask - Copy - Copy.jpg

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Open air until $48k.

Yep. I've been standing by waiting to invest in some low cap coins. Went ahead and sunk some money with the theory that BTC is the tide that raises all boats.

I pulled the trigger earlier this month after the first big bump and thought I would regret chasing. That turned out to be a worthwhile risk- hoping this one works out too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
After 2 years I'm back in the green lol. I've been buying like $150 a month in Bitcoin the past year or so.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
One of my very favorite wallets added native Bitcoin holding/buying today. Self-custody to me is everything, so this very convenient to now hold more of my coins in one wallet. The wallet is still low on chains it does support (BTC, ETH, Polygon, Arbitrum), but it's got the best tech for security to abstract the account and be recoverable if you lose your seed phrase etc. (you don't even have to write down a seed phrase with this wallet, but can access it through the wallet - it's very crypto newb friendly).

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
If the seed phrase is recoverable without you storing it yourself... its stored by someone else and thus someone else has access to it. Be -very- cautious of trusting stuff like the above. I know nothing about this wallet, but sometimes you have to do the inconvenient (take responsibility for your own keys) in order to be secure. I would also suggest keeping your Bitcoin in a separate wallet than your 💩coins if you insist of holding them. Any wallet that supports both makes significant security and privacy sacrifices to do both. Especially if this wallet is all about you exposing your holding to "Defi" markets lol. Be cautious

With a new bull market coming there is going to be a ton of new shiny crap to try to rob you of your holdings, often shilled by people who genuinely don't know any better.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
If the seed phrase is recoverable without you storing it yourself... its stored by someone else and thus someone else has access to it. Be -very- cautious of trusting stuff like the above. I know nothing about this wallet, but sometimes you have to do the inconvenient (take responsibility for your own keys) in order to be secure. I would also suggest keeping your Bitcoin in a separate wallet than your 💩coins if you insist of holding them. Any wallet that supports both makes significant security and privacy sacrifices to do both. Especially if this wallet is all about you exposing your holding to "Defi" markets lol. Be cautious

With a new bull market coming there is going to be a ton of new shiny crap to try to rob you of your holdings, often shilled by people who genuinely don't know any better.
Nah, it's multi-factor authentication where you need to hold multiple shards of your account that can help recover it. IE things only you control and you need multiples of to recover (Google, fingerprint, retinal, Apple etc.). Most advanced tech out there in crypto to reduce the barrier of entry to people afraid of seed phrases etc. Encourage you to research the tech, it's awesome.

This article has some info on it on the MFA:

Giddy’s smart wallet is known for its unique security features for self-custody, wherein a user's private key is separated into multiple encrypted shares and linked to hardware and software that only they control. This way, the wallet remains safe and recoverable in case one share of the private key is lost or compromised because multiple shares are required to access funds, and any one share does not contain the private key.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Nah, it's multi-factor authentication where you need to hold multiple shards of your account that can help recover it. IE things only you control and you need multiples of to recover (Google, fingerprint, retinal, Apple etc.). Most advanced tech out there in crypto to reduce the barrier of entry to people afraid of seed phrases etc. Encourage you to research the tech, it's awesome.

This article has some info on it on the MFA:
Says who? Where is the code? MFA for what? If the company behind this goes tits up (its defi, they will) can you still recover the keys? Have you asked yourself these questions? Are they easily answered by the company?

No, no they're not easily answered. It appears to be closed source so you have no way to verify any of their claims. I'm sure their marketing team that you're linking to are totally above board and would never lie about technical details.

Lets assume a few things to make the strongest defense for this application:

1. They provide a seed phrase - If they don't and you're 100% reliant on their "authentication" service then if they disappear overnight you can't access your funds. RIP. If they supply a BIP39 compliant seed phrase then you can at least recover to a different wallet. (Assuming you wrote it down... you wrote down you're seed phrase didn't you?... What service is this providing again?)
  2. They actually don't have access to the key "shards"- Big assumption here as they provide no technical details that I could find. Lets say they can't access these 'shards' because they had the integrity to encrypt in a way they can't backdoor. Where are the shards stored? Are the multi-jurisdictional? Across multiple custodians? Or are they in an AWS datacenter? Dunno closed source. You'll really find out on this one the first time they're served a subpoena.

Even if the above is true (I have serious doubts) here a couple things that are definitely true:

1. You can't access your wallet if their servers are down​
You can't "authenticate" to access your private keys if their servers are down​
Proving the above is simple, look at their service status page:​
1702572059466.png

For comparison if using a true self-custody product (lets say Sparrow Wallet) and the company dies, it has zero effect on my ability to use the product. I access my own Bitcoin node (or can point to somebody else's), the version of the software installed is fine NO connection to their server is required, and the keys are 100% stored locally and require no outside authentication or permission from any other source.​
This point is admittedly more about 💩coins structure vs Bitcoin. If you're playing with 💩coins you're going to have to rely on someone else's servers because they don't let you run a node in any meaningful way.​

2. The way they are storing your private keys is a massive hacker honeypot.

We know the keys have internet access because you're authenticating to them via whatever MFA you're hooking up (DUO, Apple, Google, whatever). So BEST case scenario (assuming the company has integrity and isn't going to rug pull) you've increased your attack surface exponentially. Rather than physical access required to your offline seed phrase you wrote down, the entire internet has access to try to get your keys.​

3. I don't see any impressive tech, I see a seed phrase, chopped into multiple pieces and encrypted behind MFA with this company acting as your guardian. You're putting a lot of trust in people that are selling you "Defi" which is a proven scam... Also how would you research the "tech" all I see is marketing blurbs

4. DeFi is a scam, did you learn nothing from the collapse of Three Arrows Capital, Genesis, and FTX? Where does the Defi yield come from? Do you know? How can they offer 17% interest? What are the risks involved? If you don't know the answers... then YOU'RE THE YIELD.

All the above aside, by all means put your 💩coins wherever you want. This wallet is probably as good as any other. Just don't put your Bitcoin here... grow a pair and learn real self custody or you're going to get wrecked, and you're going to deserve it. (assuming you're reading this, most people wrecked most certainly won't deserve it)

Last edited:
  • 1Mic Drop

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
To get scammed via MFA people would have to know you own a ton of crypto bc it would involve hijacking your phone number via the Verizon or ATT store, by stealing the admin iPad.

People with small beans don’t have to worry as much about connected wallet theft. Big holders definitely want to consider cold-storage and security of that cold storage above all else. And then don’t tell anybody.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
To get scammed via MFA people would have to know you own a ton of crypto bc it would involve hijacking your phone number via the Verizon or ATT store, by stealing the admin iPad.

People with small beans don’t have to worry as much about connected wallet theft. Big holders definitely want to consider cold-storage and security of that cold storage above all else. And then don’t tell anybody.
You're thinking about a targeted attack, which is true. However there will be servers that house ALL of the keys for all of these wallets which the authentication service calls, thats the concern, not them phishing you personally.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Conversation about how world economic policy affects 'developing' nations via currency devaluation, how the IMF/World Bank is instrumental in creating poverty and the massive wealth divide in the world, how deflation is the -only- path forward that doesn't rob one part of the world to fund another part, and how Bitcoin plays into this, resolves the core issues, and brings abundant energy to remote parts of the world while doing it.

This is a good introduction to -why- Bitcoin is so important from a non-technical standpoint.