Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I need to make a trip to Costa Rica sooner or later for dental work. I'm doing the invisalign thing (it sucks) for another year or so and then I need to get down to CR to get a couple dental implants done (less than half the price of U.S. implants and the same quality, I've been told). Like even with flight and hotel costs you're spending half as much as if you get it done here.

I'll be there for about a week and while I'm there I'm gonna troll Costa Rican Tinder for honeys. 10% chance I get drugged and robbed Cardi B style, but I'll roll the dice.
Just throwing it out there, but do you have dental insurance? Most today have cost sharing for implants.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just throwing it out there, but do you have dental insurance? Most today have cost sharing for implants.

I'll look into it. Over the years I looked into a few options for implants, and most of the insurance options I looked at would cover partial costs while making you eat the majority. Care Credit is alright for the deferred interest, but I'd rather pay $1200 upfront, out of pocket, for a Costa Rican implant than pay $3000-4000 over 1-2 years for a US implant.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ask dentists to price stuff based on your health insurance too. I work with people that pay 1-2000$ for a crown and insurance covers 50% Meanwhile my health insurance covers 0$ and has a contract rate of 500$. I always ask to have my quote printed out and then use it to shop around with other dentists.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'll look into it. Over the years I looked into a few options for implants, and most of the insurance options I looked at would cover partial costs while making you eat the majority. Care Credit is alright for the deferred interest, but I'd rather pay $1200 upfront, out of pocket, for a Costa Rican implant than pay $3000-4000 over 1-2 years for a US implant.
Check your insurance price first and as Furry said call around and get quotes based on your insurance rates. Implants aren't nearly expensive as they used to be. Also depending on the bone in the jawline, they usually want to install the implant first and let it heal/set for up to 6 months before installing the tooth. That would mean a second trip to CR.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I know an American dude who lives in the US and married a Peruvian chick. Got some kids with her too. He told me it's cheaper for him to save up a couple of grand for an air fair to Peru when sick than to use the US system. He's self employed so I don't know if that's a factor too (I'm Eurobro, so I don't know quite how it works), but that's what he does.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Surprised air fare to Peru costs that much. With the cheapest airlines, for a while there I could have gone to Costa Rica for like $150 each way. Gonna have to see what it is now, but like I mentioned before, I don't need to go there until late 2022.

Back to crypto: For gaining interest on a crypto, would I be better off using BlockFi or staking in Coinbase? I'm on the ETH2 waitlist (well, the waitlist for the waitlist) and nothing is actually staked over there. I'm considering moving all of my Eth from Coinbase and Binance over to BlockFi to start getting that 8% APR. It'd at least somewhat offset the shitty numbers we're going to be getting for a little while.

MachRed

Molten Core Raider
Anyone farming on polygon should check out iron finance. It’s a synthetic stable coin (iron) that has a LP’s with USDC with absolutely degen apr’s. Crazy part is the APR’s have increased because the Titan token is blowing up. NFA

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I read a bit about Titan coin. I don't really understand what it's for.

I think my challenge with crypto in general is understand the applications and implications of the different coins and layers. I think I need more vision for the space. Like what is the long term goal here? I hear things about a new internet and currencies and the like, but I never really get any concrete visuals of the everyday people use-case. Currencies are straightforward, but contracts and NFT's and coin swaps like Titan feel a little more greek to me.

Would reading the Vitalek's white paper open my eyes to this whole new world? I'd just like to be able to read about a coin and determine its value based on merits, but the merits apart from BTC and ETH are all so vague atm.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those SushiSwap farms seem so fuckin scammy, tho. There's no way a pool gets 3 billion % apy without fuckery afoot, sers.

• 1Truth!

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hear things about a new internet

It's exactly what it sounds like. Imagine the old internet, but with no logins/user accounts/passwords/whatevers. You have your wallet keys and an ENS address, and every new internet application that ever gets developed integrates those two by default. And now you're expected to help secure the protocols you like to use, and you'll be rewarded for doing it -- this is the incentive layer that drives both development and adoption. Eventually, applications will integrate other applications, like how Alchemix automates Yearn Vaults for the user so that you can take loans that pay themselves off. Because now we're not just talking about applications for hosting and delivering content, we're talking about digital scarcity, i.e. money.

In a lot of ways, it won't feel terribly different from the old internet for most users. But the difference between logging into Aave to give yourself a loan and logging into your online banking portal to request a loan is massive, even if almost identical at a surface level. Uber without Uber inc. YouTube without Google.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's exactly what it sounds like. Imagine the old internet, but with no logins/user accounts/passwords/whatevers. You have your wallet keys and an ENS address, and every new internet application that ever gets developed integrates those two by default. And now you're expected to help secure the protocols you like to use, and you'll be rewarded for doing it -- this is the incentive layer that drives both development and adoption. Eventually, applications will integrate other applications, like how Alchemix automates Yearn Vaults for the user so that you can take loans that pay themselves off. Because now we're not just talking about applications for hosting and delivering content, we're talking about digital scarcity, i.e. money.

In a lot of ways, it won't feel terribly different from the old internet for most users. But the difference between logging into Aave to give yourself a loan and logging into your online banking portal to request a loan is massive, even if almost identical at a surface level. Uber without Uber inc. YouTube without Google.

I don't understand the implications of Uber without Uber Inc. Are you saying that the shareholders are the users? And you essentially get "paid tokens" that are money for securing the service via POW and POS? So, where Uber Inc pays its shareholders, Uber without Uber Inc pays its users?

I get the VERY high level of what you're saying. A new internet makes sense. The shit that does not make sense is how the technicals of Aave tie into the user experience and change of user behaviors in walking into a bank for a loan. Even when Jackie was posting about Aave ona daily basis I still didn't get it.

I did read an article yesterday about the first Real Estate NFT by Propy which makes sense to me, but Propy's website makes it sound confusing as fuck. It seems like a lot of these crypto services and platforms suck at communicating what and how they do it and why it's easier.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you saying that the shareholders are the users?

It depends on the project, but yeah usually. Uniswap charges fees for trading between a pair of tokens, like say $USDC and $DAI, and those fees are collected and mostly distributed back to people providing liquidity to the pool. The users of Uniswap are mostly not providing liquidity in a pool, but any of them can if they want to, they just find a pool they like and deposit their tokens. If no one does, then you can't swap tokens at all. Aave charges fees for swaps, loans, flash loans, all at various rates, and distributes those back to users who wrap tokens with the Aave wrapper thus providing liquidity for the protocol. Uniswap and Aave also have what's called a governance token, respectively the $UNI and $AAVE tokens, they allow you to propose things to the governance community and vote on those proposals, e.g. Aave's governance page: Aave - Open Source Liquidity Protocol

Sometimes the governance tokens do more stuff, sometimes there are more roles and tokens involved in a protocol, it can get pretty complicated. Uber without Uber Inc I think should be the easiest one to imagine in this regime: the rate the drivers charge and are rewarded for picking you up and driving you is determined by a protocol, the drivers themselves would purchase a driver's license from the protocol, which determines their eligibility for and level of rewards. Uber Inc doesn't need to exist because everyone agrees on the rules, and the orchestration of drivers is already handled by a computer program which can be ported to the blockchain.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It seems like a lot of these crypto services and platforms suck at communicating what and how they do it and why it's easier.

Bingo. BTC has some very talented salesmen that have gotten very good at developing soundbites and sales pitches that are short and easy to understand for laypeople. ETH people are awful at it. Hell, even the VET PR machine is better than the ETH PR machine.

TBH it makes me like and trust ETH a little more though. When I listen to Vitalik I don't ever feel like I'm getting a sales pitch, and I dig that.