Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve looked hard at AAVE. Jackie figured it out but it’s Greek to me.

Literally all you need is an Ethereum wallet, I use both Metamask and MyEtherWallet. For Metamask, you just go to app.aave.com in your browser, select "Connect wallet" in the top right, and choose Metamask. MEW integrates the Aave protocol directly under the "Dapps" section, but if you install it on your phone you can use the in-app browser just like Metamask or connect it via QR code. To deposit some Ethereum to earn interest on it, click on the Deposit tab and select your Ethereum.

Once you've downloaded a wallet and put some Eth in it, you are 90% of the way there.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You think that ETH being able to do 10 things is its marketable aspect. It’s not. That’s the thing that confuses people. ETH apologists need to figure out the one thing that ETH does best.

I don't know what you aren't getting here. Bitcoin promised the disintermediation of financial services via a censorship proof, trustless, permissionless payment system, but has delivered no such thing. The only reason anyone even thinks it's possible is because of all the smart people in the blockchain space in the first ~4 years of Bitcoin's existence told you it was. Then they went and created Ethereum, and Bitcoin development has severely stagnated.

The one thing Ethereum does best is fucking everything, and that includes anything Bitcoin does. Bitcoin is not digital gold, that's just a narrative the community has sold you through cheap sound bytes to cover for the fact that the network intentionally doesn't scale for shit. It's purely a meme, there is no math behind it.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
PSA - Just because James says something is true doesn't mean it is. Do your own research. The dude has been shitting on Bitcoin and shilling Ethereum for years. He is heavily biased. I'm biased too, but I've at least used both networks recently. Ethereum does things Bitcoin can't right now, but it makes significant fundamental sacrifices for that ability. I don't think those sacrifices will be worthwhile long term, but it simply hasn't played out yet.

Bitcoin is performing exactly as expected. Do Your Own Research. Listening to anyone shilling their own bags is a mistake. That includes forums bro's and especially Youtubers. There are no heroes in this space

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PSA - Just because James says something is true doesn't mean it is.

Absolutely correct, but the truth is that Ethereum is a distributed state machine while Bitcoin is a distributed ledger. Sick and tired of idiot Bitcoin maximalists who think holding a coin is the pinnacle of crypto.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone here a sole BTC holder?

I’m heavier in ETH than I am BTC on the “promise” of shit I can’t understand.

I understand BTC, I just got in the boat too late to be throwing all my pennies into it.

And if you’re talking to me, I’m not arguing that BTC rules and ETH drools. I’m saying that BTC evangelists have done a wonderful job of selling the vision and that means a lot, even everything.

Even the horrible AAVE user experience gets a response from you of, “All you need is a wallet bro!”. Yeah, and then you need to understand how to interact w the platform and know what to expect on the other side. They do a TERRIBLE job of both. The site looks pretty, but it’s all Greek. Much like every other DeFi platform.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, and then you need to understand how to interact w the platform and know what to expect on the other side.

No idea what you're talking about. Depositing and borrowing crypto on Aave is super simple, if you want to deposit you click on the Deposit tab, and if you want to borrow you click on the Borrow tab. It's not rocket surgery, the hard part is setting up a wallet and putting crypto in it. What are you having a problem with, specifically?

Jive Turkey

Karen
Is Polygon doing that thing again where it dips to like $1.20, then spends the next week pumping back up to $1.80? Seems like it's been ranging like that pretty consistently for the past few weeks

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The point here is that it's nearly impossible to do anything Aave does with Bitcoin. Where are you depositing your Bitcoin? Where are you getting loans against your Bitcoin? Are they decentralized like Ethereum applications are? You say it's too hard for the average user, but you figured it out, and it literally replaces your bank. What other service do you know of that replaces your bank, is it easy to use? Nexo is easy to use because it's just an online crypto bank, it's still a centralized financial service, the whole point is that they make financial services easier for you.

And still, we're early yet. You did all of this before smart contract wallets and it only cost you $90 in what was one of the most oppressive transaction fee regimes in crypto history.

As I mentioned, I switched to Nexo. I have no idea if it is exactly like AAVE behind the scenes though.

I just know I was able to create an account(same hassle as Coinbase or anything else) and immediately deposit a chunk of BTC/ETH/XLM(stellar). I was(am) nervous about how much to trust all of these companies and sites, so I only deposited about 1k in total across those 3 coins. I also did a little experiment which I posted a few pages back where I took a loan out and actually earned more interest with the money I borrowed than I had to pay back! All of it was legit though the % gain on the borrow-invest thing was only about 3.5% so I could make more just trading or investing normally, so after a week I paid it back.

You can do what you want, and I enjoy reading your opinions on the topic and I'm happy to do any follow-up reading you offer, but I'm gonna hold my ground on the fact that this entire space is not as simple as you believe it is for the common person. I consider myself technically adept to a reasonable level and I struggled a bit. No way common people will understand how to get in this space at the level you talk about.

Now I do think people can understand the coinbase(not pro) and even paypal lets you buy crypto now(do you really own it?). That is how the door opens for others, name brands, marketing, simplicity.

Soooooo.....on to the entire ETH debate. I don't see many arguing that the system itself isn't powerful or doesn't have potential, but if people can't figure out how to brand it, so to speak, it's going to be a long slow road.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
As I mentioned, I switched to Nexo. I have no idea if it is exactly like AAVE behind the scenes though.

I just know I was able to create an account(same hassle as Coinbase or anything else) and immediately deposit a chunk of BTC/ETH/XLM(stellar). I was(am) nervous about how much to trust all of these companies and sites, so I only deposited about 1k in total across those 3 coins. I also did a little experiment which I posted a few pages back where I took a loan out and actually earned more interest with the money I borrowed than I had to pay back! All of it was legit though the % gain on the borrow-invest thing was only about 3.5% so I could make more just trading or investing normally, so after a week I paid it back.

You can do what you want, and I enjoy reading your opinions on the topic and I'm happy to do any follow-up reading you offer, but I'm gonna hold my ground on the fact that this entire space is not as simple as you believe it is for the common person. I consider myself technically adept to a reasonable level and I struggled a bit. No way common people will understand how to get in this space at the level you talk about.

Now I do think people can understand the coinbase(not pro) and even paypal lets you buy crypto now(do you really own it?). That is how the door opens for others, name brands, marketing, simplicity.

Soooooo.....on to the entire ETH debate. I don't see many arguing that the system itself isn't powerful or doesn't have potential, but if people can't figure out how to brand it, so to speak, it's going to be a long slow road.
Of course it's not simple yet. Yet.

The idea here is you invest before it's simple and it's too late for the explosive growth.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Crypto is in the phase regular computing was in the late 80s. Right now it's being developed by aspie nerds with lower than average social skills, so the possibilities of the tech aren't being clearly communicated to the general population. They need savvy marketing people on board. The first dev to do that will benefit tremendously

• 1Truth!

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was(am) nervous about how much to trust all of these companies and sites

This is the whole point of crypto, verify don't trust. You don't have to trust that Aave won't shut down because it bought a bunch of credit default swaps, and yes, it is super simple to use once you get past the introduction to crypto -- everyone knows the introduction is the hard part right now, smart contract wallets will open it up substantially.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Crypto is in the phase regular computing was in the late 80s. Right now it's being developed by aspie nerds with lower than average social skills, so the possibilities of the tech aren't being clearly communicated to the general population. They need savvy marketing people on board. The first dev to do that will benefit tremendously

This is essentially what I’ve been trying to communicate.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BTC
Did Musk just tweet something dumb? That was about a $300+ red candle on sizable volume (150 coins) followed by a $150+ candle on 100 coins.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is essentially what I’ve been trying to communicate.

And you won't find anyone disagreeing, we are still early yet -- I'm betting 90% of you shitlords keep your crypto in a centralized exchange, going by my real life acquaintances. Where you will find me disagreeing is the suggestion that Aave is too hard to figure out for the average person without giving me a specific reason as to why.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Is Polygon doing that thing again where it dips to like $1.20, then spends the next week pumping back up to $1.80? Seems like it's been ranging like that pretty consistently for the past few weeks

Funny I just read a story that says everything points to Matic hitting $1.20 again. I've been watching it most of the day and it is definitely trending that way. I am in the Polygon discord and a lot of people are dumping and worried after the Titan hiccup where Polygon could not handle the traffic.

EDIT: I'm a dumb redneck from North GA and I figured out AAVE.

• 1Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
And you won't find anyone disagreeing, we are still early yet -- I'm betting 90% of you shitlords keep your crypto in a centralized exchange, going by my real life acquaintances. Where you will find me disagreeing is the suggestion that Aave is too hard to figure out for the average person without giving me a specific reason as to why.

Give me a few days and I’ll post slides of AAVE’s shit UX and beautiful UI.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Polygon is busy, if you are getting a ETH payment you will be waiting a while.

Capture.PNG