Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I don't know all these terms, but realism is not "Doomerism"
I'm simply referring to the concept that we're all screwed, digital panopticon is inevitable, we'll eat bugs own nothing and be happy is inevitable. It isn't. Centralized ownership of the financial system and a group of people being able to print from thin air the currency that you spend your lifeforce to accumulate is not going to last forever. There is a future possibility where a certain level of fairness is reasserted at the base layer of communal reality, the monetary system. Bitcoin is key to that future.

If you don't understand the terms I am using and don't understand why I am optimistic about our future rather than "realistic" about it, I think it would be worth your time to learn more about what Bitcoin is, the problems it solves, how it solves those problems, and what kind of world it can create. I would venture to say ~50% of our cultures issues can be traced back to our broken monetary system. If you don't believe that or understand why I say it, start there.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
1668280461555.png

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

MrSpitz

Molten Core Raider
The best part of the Bitcoin debates helping society is realizing how it literally does nothing for society but continues to take up increasingly rare real resources (energy). How the community is so convinced about the awesome benefits of an always trackable / traceable medium of financial exchange with real world costs is quite amazing.

blockchain has utility, Bitcoin has ideals without helping society.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
The best part of the Bitcoin debates helping society is realizing how it literally does nothing for society but continues to take up increasingly rare real resources (energy). How the community is so convinced about the awesome benefits of an always trackable / traceable medium of financial exchange with real world costs is quite amazing.

blockchain has utility, Bitcoin has ideals without helping society.
You should consider international trade, sanctions, SWIFT, and how that effect world conflict. Bitcoin represents a trustless system for trade that cannot be censored. That is not even considering the effects that money printing and the cantillion effect have on trust in society and the creation in inequality.

This is an 80 IQ take. You haven't thought about this enough.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
What % of bitcoin is held by exchanges?
Well, I don't know if this is 100% accurate but on-chain analysis sites will have statistics on this. According to the below is around 2million BTC right now. Its hard to get an exact amount because not all exchange addresses are publicly known.

1668302002937.png

Given that number and approximately 19million coins released via mining thus far, about 11% is held by exchanges. Probably a bit higher if you assume not all wallet addresses are known, and more than 214BTC is permentantly gone from lost wallets etc.
1668302162466.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The world is an infinitely better place without journalists. Change my mind.
So you just don't want to know what's going on?

Howard Stern did a pretty good mini-rant on this topic the other day. Not gonna link it because this isn't the politics section.

Also, what is this even in reference to? The screenshotted section is not from a "journalist's" interview, it's from one of Sequoia's own white papers that they produced internally:

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Howard Stern did a pretty good mini-rant on this topic the other day. Not gonna link it because this isn't the politics section.
You think journalists tell you what's going on?

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ignorance is bliss, and all that.

Independent journalists are still doing solid work (Glen Greenwald, for example), but, just like everything else, social media is distorting perceptions, because, for the most part, the worst people, with no integrity, get their their shitty thoughts passed around, by both people that strongly agree, and strongly disagree with them.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Also, what is this even in reference to? The screenshotted section is not from a "journalist's" interview, it's from one of Sequoia's own white papers that they produced internally:

Not at all. I prefer to get my news from just normal people. Journalists dont give "news" they provide "propaganda" or their "insights". The world is better without 99% of them.

• 1Moron
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ignorance is bliss, and all that.

Independent journalists are still doing solid work (Glen Greenwald, for example), but, just like everything else, social media is distorting perceptions, because, for the most part, the worst people, with no integrity, get their their shitty thoughts passed around, by both people that strongly agree, and strongly disagree with them.
People with integrity were have been trying to tell the world that crypto was built entirely of bullshit, and being run by people who absolutely have no integrity, for quite some time.

• 1Like