Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It's always a bit of a surprise of how many people still think the Dollar is backed by gold or silver due to growing up knowing "Fort Knox is full of gold."
The dollar is backed by the "full faith and credit" of the US government. A government who, if I read correctly, will be at the point of it's debt being 200% the size of it's GDP before the end of next year. That is like someone making $100k a year and having $200k in credit card debt. But telling you to trust them with your cash since they're "good for it".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The dollar is backed by the "full faith and credit" of the US government. A government who, if I read correctly, will be at the point of it's debt being 200% the size of it's GDP before the end of next year. That is like someone making $100k a year and having $200k in credit card debt. But telling you to trust them with your cash since they're "good for it".

The dollar is backed by the worlds (on paper) strongest army

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The dollar is backed by the worlds (on paper) strongest army
Not exactly. The US military helps fuel our economy because it is used to support business interests around the world, but that's not the reason the Dollar is the world reserve currency.

When Nixon took the US off the gold standard, he made a deal with Saudi to only accept the dollar for oil. In turn, the US would always support the house of Saud.

When the petro-dollar dies, our currency will collapse (probably). Saudi is currently in talks to accept Yuan for oil, at this very minute, as a warning to Washington.

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Not exactly. The US military helps fuel our economy because it is used to support business interests around the world, but that's not the reason the Dollar is the world reserve currency.

When Nixon took the US off the gold standard, he made a deal with Saudi to only accept the dollar for oil. In turn, the US would always support the house of Saud.

When the petro-dollar dies, our currency will collapse (probably). Saudi is currently in talks to accept Yuan for oil, at this very minute, as a warning to Washington.

You are aware that the Yaun is still carefully managed to float with USD, right? So even if the Saudi's accept the Yuan for oil it is still trading in USD until China removes that float. Do you have any idea what would happen to the Yuan if they did remove that float? The day that happens do you think the US is going to sit idly by and just relinquish that global power? Do you think that SA believes China can project force into the Middle East enough to guarantee the same level of support the receive from the USA? The dollar may have been the reserve currency in the past because of the petro-dollar, but now it is the reserve currency because the US backs it with military might to all countries that pledge to keep trading in it. To think that SA accepting Yuan for oil is going to make that entire system collapse is far too simplistic.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You are aware that the Yaun is still carefully managed to float with USD, right? So even if the Saudi's accept the Yuan for oil it is still trading in USD until China removes that float. Do you have any idea what would happen to the Yuan if they did remove that float? The day that happens do you think the US is going to sit idly by and just relinquish that global power? Do you think that SA believes China can project force into the Middle East enough to guarantee the same level of support the receive from the USA? The dollar may have been the reserve currency in the past because of the petro-dollar, but now it is the reserve currency because the US backs it with military might to all countries that pledge to keep trading in it. To think that SA accepting Yuan for oil is going to make that entire system collapse is far too simplistic.
It's all part of the larger current discussion, that the BRICS are "talking" about making their own banking system with some form of gold backed currency (whether it be a new currency, or one of the BRICS own's currency).

Don't know if Saudi would pull that trigger, but it's certainly a warning shot toward Washington.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It's all part of the larger current discussion, that the BRICS are "talking" about making their own banking system with some form of gold backed currency (whether it be a new currency, or one of the BRICS own's currency).

Don't know if Saudi would pull that trigger, but it's certainly a warning shot toward Washington.
I think the real test would be if/when BRICS effectively decouples from USD based pegging/valuation through this new "BRICS gold/whatever backed reserve". At that point there will be far more honest "competition" in the currency market, and the house of Saud will have to look at which currency offers them a more stable and profitable platform for selling their goods. I suspect the answer would be "well.... both then!" which is perfectly fine. They could sell to part of the world in petrodollars and part of the world if petrobrics or whatever. Who it wouldn't be perfectly fine for would be the US, as the USD would then lose one of it's big sticking points to being the global reserve currency of choice. Either that or the US Government would have to start taking steps to ensure the value and stability of the dollar, and woe be onto those who buy votes with "unlimited government spending" if that happens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the real test would be if/when BRICS effectively decouples from USD based pegging/valuation through this new "BRICS gold/whatever backed reserve". At that point there will be far more honest "competition" in the currency market, and the house of Saud will have to look at which currency offers them a more stable and profitable platform for selling their goods. I suspect the answer would be "well.... both then!" which is perfectly fine. They could sell to part of the world in petrodollars and part of the world if petrobrics or whatever. Who it wouldn't be perfectly fine for would be the US, as the USD would then lose one of it's big sticking points to being the global reserve currency of choice. Either that or the US Government would have to start taking steps to ensure the value and stability of the dollar, and woe be onto those who buy votes with "unlimited government spending" if that happens.
If I'm Russia or China or the Islamic world, my goal is to destroy the U.S., the E.U. and the "rules-based international order." Because it's a matter of survival. That's why they have all banded together against the tyranny of the corrupt elites of the West. And their new commodity-backed currency will kill the fiat power of the U.S. elites. Shoot it dead.

Our Western elites have openly, repeatedly, shamelessly called for the destruction of these other civilizations. They know that. China knows that, Russia knows it, the Islamic world knows it. They can read. The globalist assholes literally had a "decolonization" conference about how they imagine they will break up Russia into submissive chunks obedient to their corporate whore-lords. They have a similar plan for China. China is large with many nationalities. It could in theory be broken up again as they demand. Everyone broken up and indebted to the banking cartels.

But China will never submit to another century of humiliation. Russia has more nuclear weapons than the Collective West. The Islamic world belives in God and hates usury. Then you go to Africa, Americas, Asia, few of these places want anything to do with Rainbow Flag Neo-Imperialism.

So what are these ideologue trash talking about? Who knows. They will lose control of the world, but impose a tyranny upon us. It's our moral duty to spit in their face.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I tend to think that the USD is in fact doomed, but its going to be a long process. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5-10 years from the time its obvious to anyone paying attention that USD is on the way out before it actually happens in a material fashion. The only exception to this would be something catastrophic happening to the US that would incentivize the world to completely disengage and cut their US backed assets as loss. You aren't going to just unwind the current derivative markets world wide overnight. In fact I bet USD gets stronger against foreign currencies for the foreseeable future.

If something catastrophic happens I would bet on Bitcoin as the replacement over BRICs. To be fair, I don't think BRICs has any longevity potential anyway. The world will never trust a country (or set of countries) the way they trusted the US since WW2. That world is gone. I'm betting on the trustless solution

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I tend to think that the USD is in fact doomed, but its going to be a long process. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5-10 years from the time its obvious to anyone paying attention that USD is on the way out before it actually happens in a material fashion. The only exception to this would be something catastrophic happening to the US that would incentivize the world to completely disengage and cut their US backed assets as loss. You aren't going to just unwind the current derivative markets world wide overnight. In fact I bet USD gets stronger against foreign currencies for the foreseeable future.

If something catastrophic happens I would bet on Bitcoin as the replacement over BRICs. To be fair, I don't think BRICs has any longevity potential anyway. The world will never trust a country (or set of countries) the way they trusted the US since WW2. That world is gone. I'm betting on the trustless solution
It will be just like when the British Pound Sterling faded. It was the default global reserve currency before the USD. Then as the British empire was fading (i.e. post WWI) they had this thing called Bretton Woods. Which was a big summit where the (at the time) gold backed USD effectively started phasing in as the default reserve currency. British pounds are still around, they just aren't the backbone of the global economy anymore. USD will follow the same path, and yes it will probably be something like a 10-20 year phase. Which sucks for me in particular as this introduces a ton of instability in the financial markets right as I will be hopefully heading into retirement.

• 1Solidarity

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Which sucks for me in particular as this introduces a ton of instability in the financial markets right as I will be hopefully heading into retirement.
On the bright side, there is always the outlier possibility that they implement a global CDBC backed by IMF SDRs or something like that. In which case I expect it would be rolled out and dominant on a much shorter timeframe. In that situation I'm sure you could comfortably be living in your pod eating bugs by retirement. Seems to me retirement life would be conducive to a good social credit score too as long as you stop posting here!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On the bright side, there is always the outlier possibility that they implement a global CDBC backed by IMF SDRs or something like that. In which case I expect it would be rolled out and dominant on a much shorter timeframe. In that situation I'm sure you could comfortably be living in your pod eating bugs by retirement. Seems to me retirement life would be conducive to a good social credit score too as long as you stop posting here!
Retirement? Consuming resources and emitting carbon after you are no longer productive is illogical. Into the vat you go.

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone that does payment/banking through twitter gets what they deserve.

Yes, trust the banks. Put your life in the hands of banks, much better than a free speech championing platform!

Its the morons who still trust woke leftist banks who are getting what they deserve

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The banks aren’t woke leftists, they’re just interested in appeasing the controlling party to maintain/increase profits.

• 1Truth!

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The banks aren’t woke leftists, they’re just interested in appeasing the controlling party to maintain/increase profits.

executive boards have been getting filled with activists who promote leftism over profits for a long time, I suggest reading the politics thread for an update of the situation.

this is the kind of corporations and government "regulated" actions that crypto critics in this thread are all too happy to ignore, or in some cases, applaud as good compared to the evil non-partisan crypto

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/10/...ecross-commerce-bank-pac-donations/index.html

Visa, Mastercard Block Donations To ‘David Horowitz Freedom Center’ After SPLC Labels Them A Hate Group | The Daily Wire

Mastercard and Visa cut off Russian banks from their networks

Regulations by a corrupt government is soooo much better than crypto, amirite

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Yes, trust the banks. Put your life in the hands of banks, much better than a free speech championing platform!
If you think that the US version of WeChat that Elon is trying to build won't be 10x worse than our current banking system in regards to censorship, I have a game made in 1999 playable in a browser to sell you

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Remember when we were afraid of social credit systems and Chinese-style superapps?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
I can barely even remember a time that attitude was prevalent on this board.

For years its been all "eh its so convenient plus you get 50 cents off your mcdonalds order!!"

• 1Let's Go Brandon!