Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
They need some breathing room between each other or they will burn up. I have a 1250W PSU in each system, how much am I pulling? No clue. I don't have a 220V Kill-a-watt.

They are paid for already due to the fact they were bought for bitcoins a few years back.
What temp are those running at? I'm surprised you can get 2.4mh/s (near the upperbound for those cards) without them incinerating themselves in that tiny case.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With the open case pics I'd guess open case might be part of how. I know leaving my door off is like 6-8C at load.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What temp are those running at? I'm surprised you can get 2.4mh/s (near the upperbound for those cards) without them incinerating themselves in that tiny case.
I have two cores that are reaching 100C and shutting off right now.

Working on cooling them better tomorrow.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
With the open case pics I'd guess open case might be part of how. I know leaving my door off is like 6-8C at load.
My only experience is with heavily overclocked 7950s. With two in a case with door off, one still pushes 75 degrees. I capped the fan speed at 75 percent so maybe thats it. When I ran the rig with 3 GPUs I had one card sitting outside the case with a riser cable... absolutely no way would they even fit, let alone function from all the heat.

I'm guessing a_skeleton_03s cards are just more badass or something, but what little I read about it indicated they were energy inefficient (almost 2x the power draw of a 7950) so its really surprising to me that three can hash right next to each other.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I have two cores that are reaching 100C and shutting off right now.

Working on cooling them better tomorrow.
This makes sense -- I think your best bet is going to be an open-air rig. Find a milk crate, put a pillow in the bottom. Sit the mobo on the pillow and suspend the cards above it using a wood ruler or something to hang them on. You'll need PCI-E riser cables which can be a hassle to find.

If you somehow find a way to get them all working in a case I'll be amazed. Rule of thumb from what I was researching is that 75+ is bad, and so is having the fans run at 100 percent. Fans break faster than anything else on GPUs.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This makes sense -- I think your best bet is going to be an open-air rig. Find a milk crate, put a pillow in the bottom. Sit the mobo on the pillow and suspend the cards above it using a wood ruler or something to hang them on. You'll need PCI-E riser cables which can be a hassle to find.

If you somehow find a way to get them all working in a case I'll be amazed. Rule of thumb from what I was researching is that 75+ is bad, and so is having the fans run at 100 percent. Fans break faster than anything else on GPUs.
Yup, working on all these things and I have a portable AC unit that I can put directly next to them down in my garage and it is in the 30's outside there. All with free electricity.

Spawn_sl

shitlord
First time I've really checked this thread. Here's my experience so far.

I ordered a 30 ghz ASIC from butterfly labs in April of 2013 (If I was smart then I would have just bought bitcoins with the cash but whatever)

Finally got it beginning of November (7th to be exact) and as of today with 4 days of non mining due to me not turning on the program it has mined: 0.40937338 btc which translated to about $420.00. I've sold .10 btc at different increments.

I'm using btcguild.com as my mining pool and coinbase for selling. You can have it deposit directly into your checking account, and it has one of the most painless setups ever if you do any online banking.

When I bought the 30ghz unit in April it was $650.00 not the 1200ish it is now. So I'll have made my money back by the end of this month if the price of bitcoins stays anywhere near what is now.

While the long wait absolutely sucked and I would have made a hell of alot more if I had just bought bitcoins instead of the unit in April and sold today, I probably wouldn't have kept them this long who knows. Right now I'm looking at possibly investing into a couple of their monarch cards.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
Should I buy, should I not... I've got money to spare and I would really like to support that kind of stuff, it will burst at some point but I think we are past the point where it could be totally worthless, But I'm so noob in that stuff...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just confirmed a withdrawl from my pool - that hot $4 is pending to my bank account.

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
UsingGive Me COINS - The professional multicoin pool Give Meas my pool.

For those just starting out back-up your damn wallet and encrypt the shit out of it, I even bought a little black book to write my passwords in AND I made a second backup I keep on a thumb drive disconnected from the net.
Does the wallet have to fully sync before you can backup/encrypt? Mine has been trying to sync for like 3 days...

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Does the wallet have to fully sync before you can backup/encrypt? Mine has been trying to sync for like 3 days...
You should be able to encrypt immediately. Its unfortunate for LTC that there are still no lightweight clients. Actually, its unfortunate for cryptocoins in general that the whole wallet thing can be so perplexing... definitely interested to see what innovations are made in this field over the next few years.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Should I buy, should I not... I've got money to spare and I would really like to support that kind of stuff, it will burst at some point but I think we are past the point where it could be totally worthless, But I'm so noob in that stuff...
Right now I think buying hardware isn't "safe" at all.

If these manufacturers ship these new products in Feb/Mar like they say they are it will be a total Armageddon for hardware miners.

Buying coins though isn't a bad idea.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
litecoin wallet took like 3 days to sync for me, not sure why it takes so long and it did the same on my friend's setup. Once it sync's just let it run in your system tray because if you turn it off it has to re-sync for however long it wasn't running.

I also set up GMC to send to my wallet every 5ltc, do whatever you think is safe. Probably not a good idea to leave a large amount in your pool for a long time.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
@a_skeleton_03
Powered PCI-E 16x-16x Riser Cable with Molex (Large Size 30cm)
Before your cards burn out
smile.png

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I am reading that LTC does not like riser cables at all. You lose mem bandwidth by using them? Can someone explain why that is stupid or accurate.
First time hearing that.

My understanding is you only need powered riser cables if you're trying to use the 1x slot on your mobo.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Ok, I will try to find some here in EU, thanks.
I don't think you need powered risers for what you're doing, which looked liked 3x cards to a mobo all on the 16x slots? Its the guys trying to squeeze in a 4th GPU on the 1x slot that usually fry their board.

THat being said, they are probably(?) safer overall and you need risers anyway.