Black Adam (2021)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This is about Disney essentially owning the RT critics and trying to kill any DC shit in the crib. Marvel is having huge issues right now. They are vulnerable. So the Mouse is yanking the same levers is does to get critic ratings up on BP and Captain Marvel to try and close any window of chance that the DCU might get out of the gate.
Why wouldn't they have given Eternals, doctor strange 2, and Thor 4 better reviews if they're so vulnerable? Is Black Adam really a better movie than those? People here don't seem to be terribly wild about it and this is probably one of the more receptive audiences you would find.

There's certainly a degree of influence that film studios have on critics, especially a lot of these internet types that get certain levels of access they would have no chance of otherwise getting... But it's a far stretch to say they can truly control the outcome across hundreds of individual reviews (and then somehow decide not to do it for multiple tentpole films).

Movies like BP and CM have a built-in bias appeal since many critics are liberal and sensitive to optics; I think that has more to do with it than any direct string pulling manipulation.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I totally forgot that Jolie was even in this. You are right that there are definitely some recognizable names.

That said, I think there's a difference between name recognition and actually getting people in seats. When's the last time a film that had Hayek or Jolie as lead characters pulled any notable box office? There was Maleficent, but that's about it since Salt. And tons of people know Kit Harington or even Madden but I doubt anybody is going to see a movie because of them.

But overall I think that's just more of a symptom of nowadays there's a lot less true movie stars that people are compelled to see regardless of what they're in.
there are less true movie stars now because the studios rarely promotes their names to sell movies anymore. if you want to know a movie star's name you have to wait for the credits, which many do not do or watch interviews about the film which even less people do.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Black adam is by far a superior movie to thor 4 or strange 2. Id bet its superior to eternals but i never saw it. It was miles better than cm or bp, but both of those films are vying for worst films in the mcu. It was better than shazam and i liked shazam. Id put it on par with aquaman. Wasnt as good as wonder woman but better than 1984.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why wouldn't they have given Eternals, doctor strange 2, and Thor 4 better reviews if they're so vulnerable? Is Black Adam really a better movie than those? People here don't seem to be terribly wild about it and this is probably one of the more receptive audiences you would find.
There is the fact that Captain Marvel got them caught doing all sorts of this kind of bullshit and they need to at least make it look believable. That was before Marvel shit the bed last phase with literally everything except Werewolf by Night and No Way Home (which they have to deal with Sony to do). Now they are desperate, especially the wokesters who are feeling some serious pressure. And we all know that those guys give up even the pretense of reality when they are cornered. Its constant double down and how you end up with critic ratings so far removed from audience ratings for this. Eternals was so bad even the wokesters could not lie about it.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
You guys are idiots for even referencing Rotten Tomatoes. That site has been shit for years now.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You guys are idiots for even referencing Rotten Tomatoes. That site has been shit for years now.
thats true, but we didnt know how unbelievably shit it was until Captain Marvel. put that in conjunction of the fucky that happened when it was released where people were reporting empty theaters all across the US while the numbers reported were said to be through the roof. that movie was kind of a red pill moment for Hollywood corruption.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
thats true, but we didnt know how unbelievably shit it was until Captain Marvel. put that in conjunction of the fucky that happened when it was released where people were reporting empty theaters all across the US while the numbers reported were said to be through the roof. that movie was kind of a red pill moment for Hollywood corruption.

They sandwiched that shit between Infinity Wars and Endgame, while claiming she would play an integral role in Endgame.

I 100% believe it brought in a ton of money

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Are you saying they lied about their actual box office numbers, as well? Come on dude. Your anecdotal empty theater claim (certainly suspect on multiple levels) doesn't hold up well against 4500 theaters reporting results.

• 1Solidarity

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Eh anecdotal or not it was certainly true all across the us and it did shit worldwide as well. Those theaters were fucking empty. Thousands of people thousands of pics reporting it. Now did disney buy a bunch of tickets to pump the numbers up on what was supposed to be their flagship character, one they were to base the rest of the mcu on? Idk. Sure did dial back her screen time in avengers and seems they slow as fuck with a sequel? Isnt she being sidelined in her own sequel even?

Look black panther was absolute shit but disney convinced black people that they would lose their blackness if they didn't see this cultural phenomenon in theaters and nogs were pulling kids out of school and bussing them to theaters. I saw it 4 weeks after release in fallon fucking nevada and the theater was still 3/4 full with every black person from 4 counties present.

BPs box office is real because nogs are gullible suckers with no culture. CM? doubt.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eh anecdotal or not it was certainly true all across the us and it did shit worldwide as well. Those theaters were fucking empty. Thousands of people thousands of pics reporting it. Now did disney buy a bunch of tickets to pump the numbers up on what was supposed to be their flagship character, one they were to base the rest of the mcu on? Idk. Sure did dial back her screen time in avengers and seems they slow as fuck with a sequel? Isnt she being sidelined in her own sequel even?

Look black panther was absolute shit but disney convinced black people that they would lose their blackness if they didn't see this cultural phenomenon in theaters and nogs were pulling kids out of school and bussing them to theaters. I saw it 4 weeks after release in fallon fucking nevada and the theater was still 3/4 full with every black person from 4 counties present.

BPs box office is real because nogs are gullible suckers with no culture. CM? doubt.
exactly, i never doubted BP numbers, because black people lost their shit over it. nobody lost anything over CM. nobody misses the character and thats why she isnt starring alone in her next film. its also why in that interview she said, "does anyone want to see me play Captain Marvel anymore?" it actually made me feel compassion for her in my black heart. i dunno who told her to be such a cuntface in interviews and in the movie, but it didnt do her any favors.

DickTrickle

I wonder how easy it is to post a picture of an empty theater and say it's for showing of a certain movie? Probably impossible except for nation states. Think you guys meant to post here: Ancient Civs, the Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Looking forward to the bounding into comics level of journalism and a few random tweets for evidence.

You guys really think they were buying up hundreds of thousands of tickets worldwide and/or buying off thousands of theater operators, all while seriously cooking the books. The movie made 400M in the US and 1.15B worldwide... For it to have been a genuine flop the difference would have to be 400M+. They managed to fake all that or blow that much more on top of it being a flop just to prop it up? Clearly the greatest money laundering scheme of all time or else Disney loves throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars. Had nothing to do with being between the two Avenger films. Then after this scam they decide not to do this with other films, even after the growing perception of an off track phase four.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Im not saying for certain thats what happened but you are dense as fuck if you cant see how easily it can be done. Much easier and cheaper than stealing an election for example.

Lets say CM did 150mil in domestic box office, which matches the enthusiasm /engagement/ etc for that flop of a film.

Disney logs on to fandango or whatever the fuck and buys tickets across the country for several weeks, spends 250 million dollars.

Theater keeps half the ticket price, the ticket is sold they get paid whether someone physically sits in the theater or not. No need to bribe any theater owners, its built in. Also they were the ones allowing people to post the damn photos, hell some of the theater operators were the ones posting the pictures. " look at this sold out showing of captain marvel opening night" 7 people in the theater.

Disney gets the other half, so 125million refund. It costs them 125mil to boost the box office numbers, which is less than what they spent on marketing the film. Its a loss sure, but not a huge one if the movie is important enough, but its not something you can afford to do for every release. But on paper its not actually a loss, just an operating expense.

Its like you are arguing that there is no way a company would lose money going for woke points or something. What rock have you been living under? Companies have thrown away billions, this is a drop in the bucket.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Film studios buying empty tickets to rig elec...box office numbers is peak foh big brain

1667310735878.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Im not saying for certain thats what happened but you are dense as fuck if you cant see how easily it can be done. Much easier and cheaper than stealing an election for example.

Lets say CM did 150mil in domestic box office, which matches the enthusiasm /engagement/ etc for that flop of a film.

Disney logs on to fandango or whatever the fuck and buys tickets across the country for several weeks, spends 250 million dollars.

Theater keeps half the ticket price, the ticket is sold they get paid whether someone physically sits in the theater or not. No need to bribe any theater owners, its built in. Also they were the ones allowing people to post the damn photos, hell some of the theater operators were the ones posting the pictures. " look at this sold out showing of captain marvel opening night" 7 people in the theater.

Disney gets the other half, so 125million refund. It costs them 125mil to boost the box office numbers, which is less than what they spent on marketing the film. Its a loss sure, but not a huge one if the movie is important enough, but its not something you can afford to do for every release. But on paper its not actually a loss, just an operating expense.

Its like you are arguing that there is no way a company would lose money going for woke points or something. What rock have you been living under? Companies have thrown away billions, this is a drop in the bucket.
Theater owners get a smaller cut of a blockbuster's first two weekends in most cases. They absolutely do give a shit if the theater is empty because it's zero concessions. Theater owners make more money off concessions than actual ticket sales in the first couple weeks, especially for blockbusters.

Internationally, the film studio gets a much smaller cut so even if they recouped a decent amount in the US in the first two weekends, there's still hundreds of millions of loss overall from later weekends and other country sales.

The pre-sales for this film were not out of the normal range, so the idea they were buying them up for weeks is completely false. They would have had to have a system that was buying hundreds of thousands of tickets in a matter of a couple days on release weekend.

And a lot of the other indicators that are used to project film success -- trailer views, social media interactions, random surveys, etc, all pointed to at least a sizeable opening. It had more trailer views than BP. I'm sure you'd say those were all faked by a massive botnet, but that just makes this conspiracy even larger. Faking 100 million trailer views in 24 hours is not a simple task, regardless of your server/bot farm.

I actually "did my research" on a lot of the examples of empty theaters. In most of the pictures, there's no evidence even indicating that it's Captain Marvel being shown. There's a couple anonymous sources purporting to be theater owners saying they had a bunch of empty seats. I'm sure if the argument was the other way around, a couple of anonymous twitter sources wouldn't be super convincing to you. There's certainly no "thousands" of photos of empty theaters that actually indicate it's Captain Marvel.

I think you can't fathom that anyone would want to see this so you construct an alternate reality no matter how implausible it gets. The audience for this film was more female heavy than pretty much any other MCU film. The "girl power rraaah" played a part as did being between two Avengers films. The idea that you think even a shitty film that was released at the height of the MCU between Infinity Wars and End Game would have only pulled in $150 million total in the US is insane.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Nobody's saying it's impossible.

But it is insane and everything about it is really fucking stupid.

• 1Solidarity

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry mr wizard didnt know you wrote your doctorate thesis on captain marvels movie production.

I wasnt talking about presales, i meant actual ordering tickets online for the movie, for the handful of weeks this shit was in theaters.

Like i said i have no idea what the fuck disney did to get the box office numbers on this trash up but it sure as fuck was not customers buying tickets and watching it in theaters. Sorry i didnt save the thousand of photos which showed the empty theater phenomenon, but they sure as fuck were captain marvel, the screens showed the film? Unless you think they photoshopped them all?

If you are saying this movie had more trailer views than bp or any other movie then yeah i am going to call bullshit on that. Idk if your recollection is accurate or if they just fucked with youtube views, either way.

This movie didn't have shit for positive vibes on social media. All it had was whine pieces just like ghost busters.

I dont know for sure what happened, only thing I know for 100% certainty is the box office numbers were bullshit and there were tons of empty seats in theaters.

• 1Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Sorry mr wizard didnt know you wrote your doctorate thesis on captain marvels movie production.

I wasnt talking about presales, i meant actual ordering tickets online for the movie, for the handful of weeks this shit was in theaters.

Like i said i have no idea what the fuck disney did to get the box office numbers on this trash up but it sure as fuck was not customers buying tickets and watching it in theaters. Sorry i didnt save the thousand of photos which showed the empty theater phenomenon, but they sure as fuck were captain marvel, the screens showed the film? Unless you think they photoshopped them all?

If you are saying this movie had more trailer views than bp or any other movie then yeah i am going to call bullshit on that. Idk if your recollection is accurate or if they just fucked with youtube views, either way.

This movie didn't have shit for positive vibes on social media. All it had was whine pieces just like ghost busters.

I dont know for sure what happened, only thing I know for 100% certainty is the box office numbers were bullshit and there were tons of empty seats in theaters.

"Sorry you know what you're talking about that showed how completely retarded my stupid theory was, but I'm going to repeat my stupid again"

• 2Solidarity

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Why are you guys even arguing this? There is literally 0 chance either of you can back up either side and the whole argument is dumb and pointless anyway.

I went and saw Captain Marvel in a theater in San Diego CA probably 2-3 weeks after it released, opening show on a Saturday (I want to say around 10am) and it was packed, we couldn't get 4 tickets seated together.
I went to see Deadpool 2 at 7pm on opening night in Lake Havasu AZ expecting it to be sold out... and I was one of maybe 12 people in the whole theater.

None of that means anything, and Jesus fuck I hope Deadpool 2 did much better than Captain Marvel, but if I went by just the shit I saw I would assume the opposite. I'm sure you could take 1,000 pictures of empty theaters, and 1,000 pictures of packed theaters for any movie to try to push whatever narrative you wanted, but that doesn't mean shit really,

If you genuinely think Disney is buying millions of tickets from random theaters across the country to fake a high box office... seek help?

Again, this whole derail is pointless.

Wish I had something to say about Black Adam here, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. :/

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you genuinely think Disney is buying millions of tickets from random theaters across the country to fake a high box office... seek help?

The last 6 years really broke some people, on both sides of the political spectrum.

• 1Like