Black Adam (2021)

joz123

Potato del Grande
Admitted Noob here when it comes to DC Cannon (especially Shazam and Black Adam), why is Shazam called Captain Marvel?
Captain Marvelous. Shazam is the name of the god the powers are based from.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Captain Marvel was originally Faucet comics, IIRC (of course I could look this up but too lazy). DC sued Faucet for the likness of Superman, but lost? Then DC bought Faucet and integrated the character into its universe. This was back in the 60s I believe.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Captain Marvel was originally Faucet comics, IIRC (of course I could look this up but too lazy). DC sued Faucet for the likness of Superman, but lost? Then DC bought Faucet and integrated the character into its universe. This was back in the 60s I believe.
it was earlier than the 60's, i think... i want to say 40's. actually, i just looked it up. Fawcett Comics created Captain Marvel in 1939, but ceased production in 1953 due to superman character infringement. then in 1972 Fawcett licensed the character to DC, and by 1991 all the Captain Marvel family of characters were in the hands of DC.

Even though fawcett had the character name first, they never tried to sue marvel for using the name for some reason. and by the time that DC had the full rights, marvel had used the name more successfully so they eventually just rebranded the character under the SHAZAM! comics

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Then in 1967, Marvel Comics trademarked its own rather different Captain Marvel character, so when DC licensed Fawcett's Captain Marvel in 1972 to revive the hero they had to change the comic book name to “Shazam.” When DC did its New 52 relaunch, it changed the character's name from Captain Marvel to Shazam as well.

Apparently they weren't able to promote him a Captain Marvel, but they still referred to him as that til 2012.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't forget about Marvelman! He also has trademark issues in his backstory!

1671319961606.png

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Maybe he should try making a better movie next time. When is the last time he legit carried a big money maker?
He legit never carried any big money makers. He makes like 2-3 movies a year and while they are usually fun, they don't bring in a ton of cash

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He legit never carried any big money makers. He makes like 2-3 movies a year and while they are usually fun, they don't bring in a ton of cash
Its pretty shitty. Moana is his highest grossing "lead" role. Everything else is ensemble or made a couple of hundred million. Not shitty, but not great.