Black Adam (2021)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
He legit never carried any big money makers. He makes like 2-3 movies a year and while they are usually fun, they don't bring in a ton of cash
Unless they are part of a franchise. The F&F ones with Vin Diesel were over a billion. His F&F movie with Statham was like 750 mil. He isn't a Tom Cruise that's for sure.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
If we had more "The Rundown" Rock and less steroid/HGH Rock he'd probably do better. He seemed to try to "act" harder when he first started. I know VIn Diesel gets a lot of hate, but fuck. Dude has one franchise in Fast and Furious that lets him do all the cool shit he wants to do. Riddick, XXX, Bloodshot, and hell The Last Witch Hunter was literally a movie based on his D&D character.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Unless they are part of a franchise. The F&F ones with Vin Diesel were over a billion. His F&F movie with Statham was like 750 mil. He isn't a Tom Cruise that's for sure.
it's hard to say he carried those movies though, you know? i mean it FEELS like he's the biggest name in those movies but they were bringing in loads of cash long before he showed up, and his FF spinoff movie actually did LESS than the others. i mean, still made a ton of cash, but analytics blatantly disagree with general sentiment of him being this huge movie star with massive drawing power. he just isn't. but he's also got loads of charisma so it's not like people don't like him... he just doesn't generally make huge tentpole movies. he's very similar to sam jackson, quantity over quality. that's not a slight, just an observation

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If we had more "The Rundown" Rock and less steroid/HGH Rock he'd probably do better. He seemed to try to "act" harder when he first started. I know VIn Diesel gets a lot of hate, but fuck. Dude has one franchise in Fast and Furious that lets him do all the cool shit he wants to do. Riddick, XXX, Bloodshot, and hell The Last Witch Hunter was literally a movie based on his D&D character.

Vin took issue with his effort and acting performance in FF. That's the reason Vin was pressing him so hard at his trailer-- in addition to being "late" for a call.

He told Dwayne to his face outside his trailer on the set of FF "This isn't wrestling, you know?"

No one knows if there were genuine concerns about his acting, or if Vin was just method acting to get Rock upset with him while shooting the movie.

Vin did everything he could to upset him though, including coming to blows essentially.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pitch Black is still my favorite Vin film. Its his best role imo. The sequels turned him from some murderous douchebag who finds some measure of self realization at the end to some super being.

XXX is number two on my list for pretty much the same reason. He plays a "normal" dude.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Vin took issue with his effort and acting performance in FF. That's the reason Vin was pressing him so hard at his trailer-- in addition to being "late" for a call.

He told Dwayne to his face outside his trailer on the set of FF "This isn't wrestling, you know?"

No one knows if there were genuine concerns about his acting, or if Vin was just method acting to get Rock upset with him while shooting the movie.

Vin did everything he could to upset him though, including coming to blows essentially.
i got the impression that the real "beef" didn't start until one of them brought the issue to social media. while making movies it's pretty common for personalities to clash, but professional courtesy dictates you don't spread dirty laundry across the neighborhood, you know? i mean, if you go back and look at basically any james cameron movie, people HATED working with him but don't talk bad about it until years later when it's just a funny story about a quirky director. dude nearly drowned half the crew of the abyss

• 1Like

j00t

iirc, rock posted that vin was always in his trailer and delaying filming
Yeah, I don't remember who started it. I know rock referred to "someone" as a candyass and it was extremely obvious who he was talking about. I also know vin said he encouraged rock to put his all into the part and it came out REALLY patronizing.

Like I said, I don't remember who started it and I'd wager each of them think the other person did... But I also think that if none of the argument was made public, their wouldn't be NEARLY as much vitriol between them.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
iirc, rock posted that vin was always in his trailer and delaying filming

He considered it on his dime. It wasn't Rock's movie as far as he was concerned.

Rock and Vin gave completely opposing accounts as you would expect.

Vin considered himself a producer, which means he might also consider it his own money to spend and none of Rock's business who is delaying what.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I don't remember who started it. I know rock referred to "someone" as a candyass and it was extremely obvious who he was talking about. I also know vin said he encouraged rock to put his all into the part and it came out REALLY patronizing.

Like I said, I don't remember who started it and I'd wager each of them think the other person did... But I also think that if none of the argument was made public, their wouldn't be NEARLY as much vitriol between them.

I'd say that's pretty spot on. If it didn't go to social media, it'd not have escalated or remained a longstanding problem. I know Vin was definitely at Rock's trailer to harass him. Probably after he got wind Rock had a attitude about him "delaying" filming-- when it's literally his movie.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Rock has been in a lot of financially successful films even if they're not record smashing blockbusters. He is a very good global draw. The issue is this film had double the budget and marketing of his non-franchise action films and couldn't perform.

Rampage (428) and Sandreas (474) made more worldwide than BA will on half the budget and marketing. The Journey films were moneymakers. The Jumanji films (960 and 800) were an ensemble but he was still the biggest name and they made a ton of money. Central intelligence, Baywatch, even Pain & Gain all made decent money given their budgets. Red Notice was a huge success for Netflix.

The idea he isn't a moneymaker by himself or as a genuine co-lead is false, he just fucking failed here.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Central intelligence was a pretty entertaining movie for me

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I know when I see a Rock movie I will be semi entertained but nothing mind boggling or fantastic. The draw of watching him for me is pretty much same person in every movie. He does a good job acting as himself but nothing else.

spronk

FPS noob
look if you aren't willing to take acting advice from Vin Diesel, are you really an actor?

You should be listening carefully when he explains the metaphysical dilemas he wrestles with when he creates the thousand iterations of "I... Am....Groot"

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
look if you aren't willing to take acting advice from Vin Diesel, are you really an actor?

You should be listening carefully when he explains the metaphysical dilemas he wrestles with when he creates the thousand iterations of "I... Am....Groot"
Vin Diesel did more acting in Find Me Guilty than the Rock has done in all his movies.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Slighty better then Wonder woman 1984 and that movie was shit tier. So many dumb moments, and pointless stand offs.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
This was a BAD movie. Not that Dwayne was bad, but what a non-stop clusterfuck of nonsense. The never-ending barrage of B and C level heroes fighting each other didn't help.

The entire, overly-long spectacle sucked. I guess I am glad they didn't overly explain his origin story or the Shazam/Captain Marvel background.

I guess there was absolutely no emotional investment for me in ANY of the characters. I certainly didn't give 1 rat's ass fuck about their shit middle-eastern city getting pummeled. The more towel-heads they killed the better. It's the only thing that made the movie watchable. But action scenes and Arab-killing can only get you so far. You CAN have a plot and kill Arabs (think, "Taken"). But I really think in this movie they were supposed to be saving them and their shit-bag city/country.

Awful movie. I feel dumber for having seen it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As I think about the movie, one serious flaw is having the Rock be totally one dimensional. He may not be Oscar material, but his niche is having those looks, condescending jokes and snarky comments. Its part of his appeal. They made a half-hearted attempt with a knockoff version of Drax with his late bits with Fate but it was too little too late.

This role took that away and replaced it with.. nothing new.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This was a BAD movie. Not that Dwayne was bad, but what a non-stop clusterfuck of nonsense. The never-ending barrage of B and C level heroes fighting each other didn't help.

The entire, overly-long spectacle sucked. I guess I am glad they didn't overly explain his origin story or the Shazam/Captain Marvel background.

I guess there was absolutely no emotional investment for me in ANY of the characters. I certainly didn't give 1 rat's ass fuck about their shit middle-eastern city getting pummeled. The more towel-heads they killed the better. It's the only thing that made the movie watchable. But action scenes and Arab-killing can only get you so far. You CAN have a plot and kill Arabs (think, "Taken"). But I really think in this movie they were supposed to be saving them and their shit-bag city/country.

Awful movie. I feel dumber for having seen it.
You didn't feel any attachment to Dr. Fate? They tone him down in this (old White guy can't be powerful) power wise but he does sacrifice his life for his friends.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As I think about the movie, one serious flaw is having the Rock be totally one dimensional. He may not be Oscar material, but his niche is having those looks, condescending jokes and snarky comments. Its part of his appeal. They made a half-hearted attempt with a knockoff version of Drax with his late bits with Fate but it was too little too late.

This role took that away and replaced it with.. nothing new.
i think i mentioned this already, but all his interactions with the kid felt like it was ripped right from T2. i mean that happens in a lot of films, Stallone did this already in The Guardian a few months ago. i think Sly nailed it better.

• 2Like