Black Adam (2021)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The reviews just weren't enough to tip it for me. Sounds like another Shang-Chi CG-fest just using a more well-known actor in Dwayne Johnson.

Shang-Chi was better than this thanks to Tony Leung

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Watched it last night, Wife fell asleep 30 min. I would not say it was AWFUL, but i sure cant say it was good.

Carter Hall was so fucking annoying. Everyone on the JS besides Dr fate was lame.

I like the Rock so i am a bit biased. If he was not in it i would think AWFUL would be back on the table.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, this was alright at best. The death of Dr. Fate landed with a thud since we were just introduced to the character. What was the point of that? Zero emotional investment.

To me, the film felt rushed getting everything in place. Adam hasn't been around for 5,000 years yet everyone immediately knows who he is, JSA comes rushing in going woah there buddy, you need to submit pronto and then immediately starts a fight with the guy who really hasn't even done anything yet.

What they should have done was build up a mystery over the character and slowly reveal who he is, then have your confrontations.

Also, and I think I mentioned this previously, but Superman isn't the natural foil to Black Adam. It should be Captain Marvel, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah, this was alright at best. The death of Dr. Fate landed with a thud since we were just introduced to the character. What was the point of that? Zero emotional investment.

To me, the film felt rushed getting everything in place. Adam hasn't been around for 5,000 years yet everyone immediately knows who he is, JSA comes rushing in going woah there buddy, you need to submit pronto and then immediately starts a fight with the guy who really hasn't even done anything yet.

What they should have done was build up a mystery over the character and slowly reveal who he is, then have your confrontations.

Also, and I think I mentioned this previously, but Superman isn't the natural foil to Black Adam. It should be Captain Marvel, right?
Technically Black Adam should destroy Supes cuz he is magic. Although they probably retconned that Superman weakness.

• 2Like

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
It's always sad when you can tell within the first 5 minutes that this was gonna be a missed opportunity. It's like they've learned nothing from their past mistakes.

Goatface

Technically Black Adam should destroy Supes cuz he is magic. Although they probably retconned that Superman weakness.

i don't know if he weak vs magic still or not, but remember reading he could absorb magic like just like solar radiation and gain different powers from it.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He still is in the comics but they haven’t gone down that road in the movies yet.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Wasn't there a DC animated film with a Captain Marvel vs Supes encounter? I seem to recall "Shazam!" lightning bolts fucking up Supes pretty good.

• 1Like

Goatface

Wasn't there a DC animated film with a Captain Marvel vs Supes encounter? I seem to recall "Shazam!" lightning bolts fucking up Supes pretty good.
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam

it hurt, but didn't wreck him like in some comics

vlcsnap-2022-11-24-17h16m08s656.png

no idea what is going on here
vlcsnap-2022-11-24-17h14m46s358.png

Xerge

<Donor>
Latest ep. of Titans there was a conv. between superboy and someone about Supes being weak and having a brown thumb towards magic.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This is the fight I was remembering, from Justice League Unlimited. Which was freakin awesome.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's another episode that talks about it a bit too, the one where Aquaman is using Grundy to try and seal a breach to another world where Hawkgirls god comes from.

Sea monster attacks, hurts Superman, he says "The only thing that can hurt me is magic" and so they go see Doctor Fate, and find him & Aquaman/grundy

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Shit, I STILL want King Conan with Arnold.
Could do a king Conan movie like the dark horse comics. That would suit Arnold. Or a flashback story like they have done repeatedly. Pick a good actor to play king Conan the younger version and do a Zenobia story - although I doubt Hollywood would have the balls to do a real Conan story - too much alpha male testosterone

It’ would Make a bazillion dollars but oh well

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is the fight I was remembering, from Justice League Unlimited. Which was freakin awesome.

I am watching that clip and laughing at all the people that died in those buildings.

It reminded me of..

1669644333042.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
After seven weeks in cinemas, the Dwayne Johnson-led DC Comics adaptation “Black Adam” has pulled in $387 million globally.

Variety reports that with a costly $195 million production budget and a worldwide marketing spend of $80-100 million, the film that promised to change the ‘hierarchy of power’ in the DC universe may end up losing a bunch of money.

The trade indicates the film needed to earn around $600 million worldwide to break even, but box-office experts indicate the film will close out its theatrical run with less than $400 million globally.

As a result, it reportedly stands to lose $50-100 million on its theatrical release according to the estimates of insiders and rival executives.

Sources at Warners dispute the numbers, telling the trade the film will break even.

• 2Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Superman already wasn't performing up to WB's standards before.

How is Black Adam being a moderate "success" going to reorganize DC?

• 1Like