Black Desert

DMK_sl

shitlord
Did someone just use call of duty as an example of the Wests talent in game development? And Destiny? Destiny is coming out Sept and still looks worse then this. Not to mention the world is fully instanced and zoned..

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Did someone just use call of duty as an example of the Wests talent in game development? And Destiny? Destiny is coming out Sept and still looks worse then this. Not to mention the world is fully instanced and zoned..
They also brought up graphics in single player games, in a discussion about graphics in mmos, in a thread about an mmo, in the forum's mmo section. But, whatevs.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They also brought up graphics in single player games, in a discussion about graphics in mmos, in a thread about an mmo, in the forum's mmo section. But, whatevs.
Look, Im'a let you finish but The Realm was the best MMO of all time ~

887446-realm4.jpg

But no seriously ~ The west can do a graphical MMO with multiple people on the screen (When it comes to graphics in an mmo, thats what you're looking for right? The number of people?). Its been stated that ultra realism doesnt appeal to a wider audience. Not enough to justify the extra costs of the making everything ultra realistic. The article was on Wired if Iirc. Not some bull shit like Massively or PC Gamer. I disagree with you Raes, because I dont think its some kind of education or imagination limit imposed on the western developers, but more so that they are under a heavy burden of western influence. We can argue this point up and down but its being just as ignorantly racist as Sutekh is in the Screenshots forum.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Considering the amount of people on the screen at times the game ran fairly well. Im sure those guy have good rigs to run itbut id imagine most pc gamers keep their rigs up to date as is anywho.
I think you are giving gamers too much credit. There's a fraction of PC gamers that keep their rigs semi up-to-date but I'd say the majority do not and thus the reason MMOs are built around being to play on old PCs.

For a simple hint look at the Steam numbers.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
But no seriously ~ The west can do a graphical MMO with multiple people on the screen (When it comes to graphics in an mmo, thats what you're looking for right? The number of people?). Its been stated that ultra realism doesnt appeal to a wider audience. Not enough to justify the extra costs of the making everything ultra realistic. The article was on Wired if Iirc. Not some bull shit like Massively or PC Gamer. I disagree with you Raes, because I dont think its some kind of education or imagination limit imposed on the western developers, but more so that they are under a heavy burden of western influence. We can argue this point up and down but its being just as ignorantly racist as Sutekh is in the Screenshots forum.
Ultra realism doesn't appeal to a wider audience? What, did Wired poll a hundred gamers? You know as well as I do that shit is made up. Sure, WoW has more users than games like Aion or whatever, it has nothing to do with the appeal of the graphics. Could have something to do with, as others have said ^^ most people don't have machines that can run the mmo's that actually look good/realistic.

I never said it was about education or imagination. It's just about effort and experience. The only "heavy burden" they're under is WoW. Which, in some ways has done more to hurt the genre than help it. If only because they've created this semi-mythical holy grail that other developers chase, but they chase it by trying to clone it, rather than by copying what Blizzard actually did.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What does a subjective matter as graphical style have anything to do with being more advanced or not? I still want to know this mythical coding advantage that korean mmo's have.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Ultra realism doesn't appeal to a wider audience? What, did Wired poll a hundred gamers? You know as well as I do that shit is made up. Sure, WoW has more users than games like Aion or whatever, it has nothing to do with the appeal of the graphics. Could have something to do with, as others have said ^^ most people don't have machines that can run the mmo's that actually look good/realistic.

I never said it was about education or imagination. It's just about effort and experience. The only "heavy burden" they're under is WoW. Which, in some ways has done more to hurt the genre than help it. If only because they've created this semi-mythical holy grail that other developers chase, but they chase it by trying to clone it, rather than by copying what Blizzard actually did.
What's the difference between "cloning" and "copying"? You differentiate between the two when most people use the terms synonymously.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What's the difference between "cloning" and "copying"? You differentiate between the two when most people use the terms synonymously.
"Cloning" WoW is making a nearly identical copy, with the primary difference being lore, which there are plenty of examples of. "Copying" (what Blizzard did) would be refining and evolving the genre. Get rid of outdated systems, figure out new ways to do old shit. Move past the design decisions that were made based on limitations we no longer have. Mechanically, WoW was an amazing game, for its time. That time is past. Long past.

Hence "copy" what they did, don't "clone" what they made.

Edit: Here's a shitty analogy. Everybody loves those, right? All that exists are 1 cylinder engines. Guy makes a 4 cylinder, gets rich. Everyone copies the 4 cylinder cause they want to get rich, too. Not gonna happen. Wanna get rich? Make a 6 cylinder engine.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think you are giving gamers too much credit. There's a fraction of PC gamers that keep their rigs semi up-to-date but I'd say the majority do not and thus the reason MMOs are built around being to play on old PCs.

For a simple hint look at the Steam numbers.
Then they should never bring up PC master race bs! I keep my PC up to date and all it does is serve as a media server since there is nothing to play on PC till this or EQN comes out - i still do all my FPS, Adventure, and RPGs on consoles despite having dual 780s on my pc. Its just preference there tho.

I really hope this gets published for NA - out of all the korean made mmo's this one looks like it wont discourage the masses by how lame the art and environment is.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I really hope this gets published for NA - out of all the korean made mmo's this one looks like it wont discourage the masses by how lame the art and environment is.
Vindictus looked great, and had very little weird asian crap in it. Despite being lobby-based, it's just as much an mmo as DDO is. Main problem was some shitty f2p restrictions at release (that were later dropped completely) and progression that could get painfully slow if you fell behind the general population. Also -boob physics.

vindictus boob physics. - YouTube

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hope they find a publisher, maybe at E3?

Black Desert might have a PvE ruleset, separate F2P and P2P servers

2P reports that the game may have separate F2P and P2P servers as well as PvE-only rulesets that disable open-world PvP in favor of arena matches, guild wars, and sieges. The site also mentions that Black Desert's Russian cash shop will be limited to cosmetic items, there will be no IP blocking, and there will be no dungeons (only open-world bosses).

Finally, the site says the Russian alpha will happen in December 2014 with a closed beta to follow in January. Korea-based developer Pearl Abyss is actively shopping for a North American Black Desert publisher.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
If Trion does it we won't see it launch til 2016. It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to alpha/beta AA. Look at that blurb for the Russian version of BD. Alpha in December, Beta in January.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If Trion does it we won't see it launch til 2016. It's ridiculous how long it's taking them to alpha/beta AA. Look at that blurb for the Russian version of BD. Alpha in December, Beta in January.
The holdup on Trion for AA is not Trion's fault. It's all legal stuff.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seems like the legalities of such a thing would have been handled at the beginning of the deal ~ not during.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
I think the legalities amounted to XL telling Trion to sit down, shut up and wait while they tried to make money in Russia.