Black Desert

DMK_sl

shitlord
Two completely different ideas and goals. I am sure western developers could build something like this if the bean counters allowed it.

Also it seems most western MMO want to hit WoW numbers, you are not going to hit those numbers with the type of graphics this game has(face it avg computer specs are fairly low) or maybe even combat( A lot don't like twitch-action combat).
Completely disagree. Western studios would make these games if they could. They simply can't.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Haha what the hell does that mean, we cant? Shit ~ more than half the tech they use comes from the US.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They've always been far ahead of us in graphics/animations artwise and codewise. And they've always been far behind us in core gameplay (asian grind etc) and the retarded rng crafting.

I think it's a matter of western devs can'tandwon't. They like to play it safe (lol) with wow clones.

Look at Trion. Are they even working on anything new? Or are they just spending 2 years translating an eastern mmo to publish?

Western game developers create to the lowest common denominator. You will never see them try to push any envelope because the risk for return is too high. It's all about the business.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They've always been far ahead of us in graphics/animations artwise and codewise. And they've always been far behind us in core gameplay (asian grind etc) and the retarded rng crafting.

I think it's a matter of western devs can'tandwon't. They like to play it safe (lol) with wow clones.

Look at Trion. Are they even working on anything new? Or are they just spending 2 years translating an eastern mmo to publish?
I see that you're in San Fran, so maybe you might be in a position to know better than I do - I just dont get the coding envy towards them. So much of the coding we use everyday has originated from right here in the US. The languages themselves, even. How are they any better?

Asian Animations are perceived to be good, but its short sighted. There are quite a few Asian games that we have never heard of in the US for reasons like having shitty animations, coding and graphics. A game has to be fucking good, or well funded to peak any notable interest in the US at all. The same can be said for West to East.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We can argue about this shit all we want. The thing that sucks is that these companies aren't looking for global launches like games in other genres. I know it's more complex but I would love if someone would actually do it or at least have some fucking interns do english patches and let us play on their servers from the start.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I see that you're in San Fran, so maybe you might be in a position to know better than I do - I just dont get the coding envy towards them. So much of the coding we use everyday has originated from right here in the US. The languages themselves, even. How are they any better?

Asian Animations are perceived to be good, but its short sighted. There are quite a few Asian games that we have never heard of in the US for reasons like having shitty animations, coding and graphics. A game has to be fucking good, or well funded to peak any notable interest in the US at all. The same can be said for West to East.
I'm actually in Texas now, just didn't bother to update my profile.

It's not about the coding language, it's about what you do with it. Western studios are just lazy. They take the easy way, rather than trying to push the envelope. Which is why we get boring combat, and cartoony graphics. And even when they occasionally try to push things a little farther, it usually ends up being a buggy mess.

We're not really talking about the slew of little asian f2p sprite games. But more the big stuff. Look at Lineage 2 when it was released, using a modified Unreal engine. Light years ahead of us. Look at Vindictus, not quite an mmo, but amazing graphics and combat, (and some really fucking fun raid boss fights) and that came out years ago. Black Desert is basically the mmo version of that. Even FF was ahead of us in a lot of ways, the problems with it are from the game design.

Edit: That's not to say that eastern devs didn't have some limitations in other areas. Besides the usual "plop down mobs" asian grind, which they're finally starting to move away from. Things like class being tied to gender, ugh. But, now they've gone in completely the other direction and have the most amazing character customization there is.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Most flagship MMOs in Korea uses Unreal Engine. TERA, Blessed (new MMO coming soon), and Blade & Soul all uses Unreal Engine 3 (and some modified). All these MMOs are just another grind to fuck MMOs that white people hate.

Black Desert is another animal in the world of mediocrity. They built their engine from scratch.

I don't know about FFXIV. That shit is abnormal. I am thinking Square Enix made that with Western audience in mind instead of Japan because Japanese MMO industry is garbage. Koreans make better "Japanese (Anime)" MMORPG now.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Um, don't know what point you guys are trying to make? I just gave that as an example of how they are ahead of us in graphics and animations. Lineage 2 came out a year before WoW, looked amazing, had siege battles with over a hundred players onscreen...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The MMO studios still have shitty developers from 10-15 years ago who played and grew up in EQ or whatever other games at that time. They don't know what makes a fun game, thus we'll still get shitty games. The only western MMO dev house that seems to understand changing the game is SOE. God isn't that ironic? We'll see if they can pull off an interesting game.

Korea still has a ton of shitty games. Black Desert may be very interesting, we'll see though.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The thing is Korea is extremely connected. It has some of the world fastest and cheapest internet access.

Also video games is very socially accepted and a very popular form of entertainement, especially MMO.

That's why they have like something like 10+ MMO comming out each year. We only hear about the top ones.

They make MMO like we make shooters. So that allows them to have tons of different ones for different niche. That's why they push for higher end graphics on some of them, and have cartoons, almost anime like ones also.

They seem to have a much faster development cycle on their MMO too...but that may be due to what we commonly refer to as the Korean grind. I mean how fast would our MMO be developped if we cut down on quests by 2/3 and just let people grind xp and have just a few dungeons, almost no raiding and just have PVP as the end game.

They are not more advanced...we are only seeing the most advanced of their MMO, actually most likely their most advanced MMO.

If MMO were as big here as they are in Korea...we'd get a lot more of them, and we would get a few that are as advanced...look at the tech of some of the single player games we make...we have the tech, we have the artist...we just don't use them on MMO.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Um, don't know what point you guys are trying to make? I just gave that as an example of how they are ahead of us in graphics and animations. Lineage 2 came out a year before WoW, looked amazing, had siege battles with over a hundred players onscreen...
They are not ahead of us...look at games like Call of Duty, Destiny or The Division...or most single player games we make...

We have the technology, we just don't make use of it in MMO. The MMO market here simply tiny compared to the one in Korea. I don't think developpers are willing to exclude anyone from that tiny market based on computer specs.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So they are more advanced because they use an engine made by an American company. Ok then.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That's good news, if they can show the English client they are supposedly working on. It could create tons of buzz.

I hope someone picks this up.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Black Desert looks like a technical support doomsday, a lot of PC players will never manage to run that.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So they are more advanced because they use an engine made by an American company. Ok then.
I'm pretty sure you know quite well that that's not what I said, nor what I meant. But, if you just want to be a dick, feel free.