Black Desert

moontayle

Golden Squire
They already did. You can buy Cron stones and use them as part of the enchant process to guarantee the primary item doesn't get destroyed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't know, I've played my share of korean MMO releases (Aion, Archeage, Black Desert and the one with CP lolis and rapist hamsters) and in each of them there's always very poor security design and / or anti-cheat measures. And I'm talking about rampant cheating.
I think this has to do with the korean systems of linking basically your social security number to your game account, so it makes remaking accounts after getting banned a lot more annoying(it can be done by just buying one, like how the western players get to play in KR, but that poses problems if you have to do shit with your account later on like if you have poor security and someone gets your account and shit).

They all run shitty Gameguard and what not, which basically amounts to nothing since you can just turn it off by googling it, and a lot of them have client side stuff that you don't see in western mmos because it's obviously exploitable. And yeah chat functions like antispam are also terrible, I guess partially because of the same, but iirc from reading FFXIV Q&A stuff(and yes I know that JP, but they use a bunch of similar systems), they don't have nearly as many spammers over there. I think the gold buying and shit is just done differently so they don't spam everyone with shitty ads and just let people find how to buy gold themselves or whatever. Tbh all the gold spam does is annoy people, it's very easy for anyone to google "buy gold mmo" and find how to buy gold, and you'd probably still do that than try to decipher what's the actual website for the spammer since they all use fucking stupid characters to get around spam blocks.

It's easily one of the biggest thing they have to do everytime they port a game here. And also something they almost never do until way after release. And since they always release their games in China first, it comes with all the suite of cheats and bots possible as soon as it releases.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
KR just put in a quest to kill zarka 100x for weps.

I'm basically at 15 everything and all blue gear. The thought up going +more and enchanting accessories is tiring with my already casual playtime.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Graphics are gorgeous, combat is so damn fun, lots of interesting mechanics (i.e. fishing, horse breeding), no McDungeons, good amount of content updates, what the hell else can I ask for?

So why is it that I can barely stomach logging in every day to get my free weapon stone?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The grind is one thing, its not disguised as much as other games. Just like others have said. I think the bigger contributing factor is that even if you work your ass off and you had +20 everything and all your gear was best in slot - no one would notice at a glance that you had accomplished/lucked up on all of that. No one really cares about a persons gear (really), but they are missing the boat on the psychological impact of making the player feel boastful, masculine and proud of their accomplishments. That, paired with the fact that the game doesnt influence you or encourage you to make social interactions makes this game lack luster. They went too far into the single player territory in order to sell outfits for $30 bucks. The game is still fun to play, but the desire to log in just wanes the longer you play.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Honestly it tied up in node wars and stuff unless you're a crafter or Fisher guy. Of your sub leveled and sub geared you're fucked in pvp but not as much as other games.

I still enjoy the game because the combat is so satisfying.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The grind is one thing, its not disguised as much as other games. Just like others have said. I think the bigger contributing factor is that even if you work your ass off and you had +20 everything and all your gear was best in slot - no one would notice at a glance that you had accomplished/lucked up on all of that. No one really cares about a persons gear (really), but they are missing the boat on the psychological impact of making the player feel boastful, masculine and proud of their accomplishments. That, paired with the fact that the game doesnt influence you or encourage you to make social interactions makes this game lack luster. They went too far into the single player territory in order to sell outfits for $30 bucks. The game is still fun to play, but the desire to log in just wanes the longer you play.
If you had +20 in everything anyone who mattered on the server would know who you were.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want a tshirt that says 'anyone who matters knows who i am', then in tiny writing on the bottom 'in black desert online'
Can't think of any mmo with a bigger world than this. Valencia expansion is just ridiculous. Takes longer to run across now than the old antonica treks in eq. Wtb timed wizard spires

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha.

The leaderboards in BDO make it easy to know who is at the top. The casual players who fish and do quests don't pay attention, but all the top players know each other.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So how has Valencia been? Did they release Ninjas or was that going to be in the Part 2 patch?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Valencia has been ok. A few technical issues with logins, guild ranking etc.

The real problem with Valencia is that it dramatically increased the power curve in the game. Pre valencia the difference between a hardcore and semi-hardcore was not massive. It was trivial to get level 55, +15 armor, a liverto and get decent jewelry as a semi-hardcore player. A hardcore player who was 57, had ultimate gear, duo ogre ring etc was measurably more powerful. Stats-wise you might get some 20-40 more AP. They could reliably take out the semi-hardcore player, but it wasn't this massive difference.

Now it is. A week ago we mostly had guys in the 310-350 range of combined AP/DP. Now we've got guys at 450 combined AP/DP who were lucky with their rolls + well prepared. We've still got guys who were well prepared and unlucky with their rolls and aren't much higher than 350.

It's much harder to get tri-armor than +15/ult was before, so the hardcore players will level up to a softcap in the next few weeks/month, while the semi-hardcore will take a long, long time to get there. Meanwhile they will be getting annihilated on the battlefield.

Guild / campaign / meta wise this was also somewhat poorly timed with the introduction with sieges because there's this massive disruption to the character stats game right when the first "real" pvp is released. In the last sieges I'd be confident in our chances against literally any guild on the server in a guild vs guild fight. Today there's a lot of uncertainty because if guild X has 10 people who are at ~450 gear score and guild Y has 20 people there, guild Y may stream roll guild X even if guild X has more and better players.

One funny bit about this that I don't mind so much is that a lot of the mats to upgrade are collected through gathering skills, and the PvE guilds who had more of a focus in gathering have a bit of a boost because they've collected al ot of these. Meanwhile, PvP focused guilds who have been focused on leveling, controlling spawns etc haven't. Right now a lot of our guys are seriously gathering for the first time. I don't like that the game mechanics are motivating people to chop trees and kill sheep but that's the path they've given us.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was more of a balanced play style, but yeah now I'm right there with you chopping trees like it's the last best hope for mankind.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have a 50 something Giant, with a ton of dyes/armor sets/pets. Also should have quite a lot of items/money/gear, especially on my crafting alts. I think L57? A couple over the soft-cap. I haven't played since about a month post-1st update raising that added the zone in the east, and raised soft cap from 50-55. 3 tier 3 pets, exp buff on two I think. Oh and a +15 Liverto (the best weapon at the time I quit), I don't know if any of this is relevant anymore though. I think I'm +15 in every slot, or should be. I don't know, I was almost fully maxxed but restarted because Steel Taritas was bullshit, so I'm not sure if I was able to get +15 on my new set of armor or not. If it's not full +15, it's pretty close.

I spent around $700 (mostly trying to get the EXP pets, which other people got with around $200) in the cash shop then quit a week later because all I was doing was AFK fishing for level EXP. Fuck me.

Whoever wants it can have it I guess, just PM me. Gonna give it to whoever I like the most.

One of the major reasons I quit was the way they were doing updates. Completely out of the blue and almost at random. There was a guy who wasted like 500+ hours grinding to 55, and then not 3 days later they drop an update making 55 obtainable in about 10 hours of grinding. I kind of hated not knowing whether the gear/levels I had would be made obsolete without any warning, especially since organized PvP had no official date either.

It's a really fucked up way to run a company if you ask me. It'd be like playing WoW @ Vanilla, and then randomly dropping expansions that makes your progression completely obsolete without anything more than a three day warning. Except worse, because the soft cap would go up. All that awesome shit you had? Yeah, fuck you... come grind some more. So I said fuck it, I'll fish for money and exp (gives you quite a bit as long as you're way out in the ocean and aren't pked). I was spending way too much time setting it up, with the boat travel time and all that I just caved in.

I had/perhaps still have the coolest looking costume on the server. People started fucking copying my colors/costume down to the very last detail and it annoyed the shit out of me.

Edit: I need to change my e-mail, password, and shit before I hand it off though. So it'll be a few days before I get around to all that bullshit.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah i'd say i'm semi-hardcore casual and I totally was not prepared at all with the hard/sharps. Hell I just switched mains before valencia and had just finished leveling to 56/ultimating gear/etc. Hell just finished liverto +15 this weekend, and now the never ending hunt for hard/sharps begins. I didn't listen.

In some ways it's made me focus my shit better, redid all my CP, stopped trying to do a little of everything and only gather/craft what I immediately need (Horse gear and costumes for fail stacks, cooking for beer, alchemy for reagents for level 3 reform stones, tools for lucky fluid extractors for blood/sharp/hards, rest of my CP in fence farming for sharps/hards). still not done converting all my buildings but I fixed my node networks for transporting stuff I gather to where I build it.

Zbkuk_sl

shitlord
What's up with valencia grind spots? Aside from the ones that drop BIS accessories, the others just seem outright bad. Desert nagas and titium valley seem like the "starter" valencia spots, but they both seem way worse than pirates or sausans to me. The valencia spots just seem to drop way less miscellaneous "stuff," like coins/scrolls/armor pieces/blackstones/etc. And the vendor trash is like, 1-1.2k each. What am I missing here? Granted, I don't have the nodes levelled but the gap seems so large that I don't think levelling the node is going to help.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started playing again recently as a Maehwa, pretty fun class, though something seems buggy with their Ultimate Chase skill. The description says that you can use Chase during other skills, in effect to break their animations, and I think this is the case with 99% of the skills I use, except for the Blind Thrust / Nemesis Blade combo. Probably just me holding how Space a bit too long, so it triggers another Blind Thrust, but I'd think I should be able to break out of that animation with Chase.

I stopped playing before the Mediah update, so it seems a lot has changed. I remember getting a series of quests from the Black Spirit which would reward armor / weapon black stones, which was triggered by having an Ultimate Basteer weapon at +7. Now, on my Maehwa, I got the ultimate basteer to +7, and the black spirit gave me a quest to replace it with a +7 Bares weapon + 5 weapon stones, but nothing else after that so far at lvl51. I've done a similar armor quest where I had to upgrade pieces of Dobart gear to +5, and exchange that for another named armor (Agerian, Zereth, etc), this netted me more armor stones than I started with, but I haven't gotten kill X number of mobs from the black spirit that rewards armor or weapons stones. Was that removed?

Since there are now weapon and armors with 2 gem slots, is it possible to have 2 of the same gem in a piece of gear?