Black Desert

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That's basically it. We went for Mediah castle against a tough alliance and couldn't take out their base in time so it was a stalemate.

The region and node war choosing and politics is a goofy meta-mechanic and a tough call from a leadership perspective. AFAIK the top guilds on Orwen server collude with one another to minimize competition and ensure the top guilds all get castles. Edan has a more cutt-throat and competitive (in my opinion) atmosphere but we could probably do the same if we tried. Instead the siege camps locations for each node are closely guarded secrets until the start of wars. This causes there to be some very easy T3 wins for mid-tier guilds and massive wars fought over other T3 nodes.

In some ways it's better, in some ways it makes less sense. On one hand it makes sense for the top communities to get the top regions and nodes. With 5 regions up for grabs and 5 alliances you'd expect that the top 5 alliances would get the nodes for the game to be correct. But what that creates is a political stalemate where if you're not in those 5 groups you're not in the "top competitive game" and it's tough to build that sixth alliance to take out the worst of those 5. Power will shift and cause a collapse, but it's a definite holding pattern that can lead to boredom.
I would absolutely love to just be able to log in and partake in these, as I always had a blast in PRX, but I have no time for the rest of the 'grind to get power/gear' part of the equation.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You're not the only one. I love the lore, the world itself and more - but I just couldnt take the grind. But what can you expect from an asian mmo.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
uh fuck that noise. Love the grind, wish we could go back to the grind.

But right now, for those of us who weren't sitting on a billion silver pre-valencia or simply stockpiled all the hard/sharps on the market during the 2 weeks they were in the game but not used, the grind has been replaced by:

prune shit in your garden x 500 energy every day hoping to get enough hard/sharps to upgrade gear, followed by AFK fishing for relics to get frags and hunter seals, to upgrade your gear.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The funny part is, none of that should of been a surprise. Before I had to stop playing(few weeks into mediah) every video and person I talked to was starting to seriously work on their gathering skills and hoarding lucky tools, because they knew future upgrades would take mats from gathering. And everyone and their mother was hoarding frags(unless you got a kzarka weapon). I was buying 10x frags at minimum every week since prices were going to always go up(especially with boss armor).

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Rolled a Berserker on Edan, should I be leveling to 50 and come back and do knowledge and CP stuff later or do it as I go? I know jack about this game.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Both can be put off until you're 50 if you're so inclined. Going after them offers a nice break from the grind but don't come into play very much until then.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Feeling very grindy right now so reinstalling to play (only uninstalled cause I didn't have hd space lol). Have they fixed weird desync issues with giants yet?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Rolled a Berserker on Edan, should I be leveling to 50 and come back and do knowledge and CP stuff later or do it as I go? I know jack about this game.
Game is pretty much freeform, Doesn't matter, whatever you enjoy doing and won't burn you out. grind for levels, quest for CP, explore for energy. or combination of the above.

helpful hint: every single day hit F3, go to the loyalty tab of the store, and buy 3x awakening rerolls for 1 loyalty point each (you get 100 loyalty for free each day.) stockpile these for now.

At level 48 you start to get awakenings, you want to awaken your skill "Raging Thunder" and you want to get the awakening "+4 instant health on hit." It's completely RNG what awakening you get, and all of them are irrelevant until you get this one ability. You wanna use your 1 loyalty awakening respec tokens over and over until you get this ability, which is why you've been stock piling them every day while leveling.

Berserkers are pretty lame to level up and pretty weak in PVE until you get this ability. It is night and day, completely game changing, class defining ability.

They are currently in the process of changing how skills/awakenings work, but for now they are letting you do it for basically free 3 times a day. before this, it either cost memory fragments (800k+ silver each roll) or like 3 bucks from some item in the cash shop each roll. I know players who spent 100 bucks on awakening resets until they got this one ability.

Berserkers are pretty much the only class with a must have awakening like this.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
helpful hint: every single day hit F3, go to the loyalty tab of the store, and buy 3x awakening rerolls for 1 loyalty point each (you get 100 loyalty for free each day.) stockpile these for now.
When the new skill awakening system releases, these will disappear from shop and inventory, so use and enjoy while they last (patch is likely the 20th). Also the new system will be less RNG but looks very uninspired and removes a lot of the good PVP slow and self-healing focused awakenings from most skills. SeeHEREfor details.

Vhaatz

Molten Core Raider
Grab desync issues are largely fixed, but can still happen once in a blue moon. The loss of heals on spin will hurt zerker pve farming, but it should still be manageable. You'll just have to use pots more often now, whereas zerkers are currently able to farm well without the frequent use of pots.

Zerker will still be the most desired melee class in GvG/wars (at least until awakenings) and one of the most powerful 1v1 classes in the game. Their ability to engage on groups and survive the zerg burst is unparalleled, they are tankier than shield classes (and do far more damage than warriors with equivalent gear), and you can legit stunlock someone to death in 1v1 like a wow rogue in 2005.

Also their weapons are cheap as fuck and therefore easy to repair.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Ok good to know.

Im currently on a 7 day pass. If i wanted to buy the game and drop some money in the store what are the must buy items? I heard something about pets being useful.

Vhaatz

Molten Core Raider
Ya man you'll want at least 2 pets as a casual player, 3 if you are going to play the game for serious. Each pet loots for you every few seconds, which saves you time + carpal tunnel with the way PvE farming is in this game (kill hundreds of mobs per hour). More pets = more looting per cycle. Higher tier pets loot faster and have helpful bonuses, you raise pet tier by breeding them but it's not something you need to worry about starting out. Sometimes they do events that award a pet for logging in each day (so far a hawk and a penguin).

Outfits add 10% combat xp boost and some odd stats like jump height, vision increase etc - the xp boost is very helpful once you start grinding lvl 55+. They are also the only way to make your character look interesting... common zerker armor atm looks like a toga and the basic armor models for all classes are pretty stale.

You can buy a ghillie suit if you want, they hide your nametag which can give you an advantage against people who are used to tracking enemy movement thru nametags instead of watching the character model. They don't entirely work the same way in nodewars/battlefield, they change your name to a neutral color which forces opponents to check your guild tag before attacking (especially in the current meta of allying with multiple guilds). I don't have one and I don't think they are necessary but they do have their applications especially with scouting enemy forces/structures during gvg or nodewars. They will make 0 difference versus an experienced player in 1v1 or small-group pvp.

Character slots are useful even if you don't intend to play the alts actively because they give you another pool of energy to do gathering/crafting/conversation/node investment with.

Horse armor outfit increases the chances of your horse learning a skill when leveling up which can result in you making better horses if you equip them with pearlshop outfits when you level them.

Inventory/weight limits are helpful, inventory less so because you can earn like 70 slots pretty easily in-game. Weight limit is more useful imo because it directly benefits you in how many potions you can carry into battle and how long you can farm items before you have to sell/turn-in token items/store shit on your horse.

I would prioritize the purchases this way: 2 pets > outfit > 3rd pet > extra char slots til you have 6 total at least > weight limits > horse armor > inventory

Keep in mind you can buy character slots, inventory, and weight limit increases with loyalty (earned by logging in each day). You can also unlock extra inventory slots with quests, and train your weight limit by autopathing with a tradepack on your back while you are afk.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Thanks for the post, should I just get 1 of each type of pet? Also what should i do with armor, weapon, crystal and other random non trash drops that I get while leveling?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where can you get saddlebags for your horse? Haven't seen a workshop with those items available for crafting, never see them on the Market, and have never seen them on a vendor, yet tons of people have them.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Dog pets mark enemy (flagged) players I think, cat pets mark resources, and bird pets mark elite monsters. Not sure what the penguin does. Did they add the Fox with Valencia? That one makes water use in the desert lower or something.

Armor and certain crystals you can throw on the Marketplace (auction house). Some crystals are worth just grinding with Processing to get black stone powder. Weapons, except for some, I just vendored when I was playing. Trash drops with no real description are just that, vendor trash. Enemy collectibles can be turned in to certain NPC's for the listed reward (mostly money) by right-clicking the item.

Saddlebag graphic on mount I think comes from putting stuff in its inventory.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So basically I shouldn't play Berserker?
nah you can still play a zerker just know that PVE is going to be shit. In normal games that's not really an issue since you just need to pve til cap and your maxed out and just do PVP, but this game you will grind mobs forever, for levels, for loot, for money, for mats, etc.

level 1-48 berserker drinks potions on cooldown due to no healing at all, you go through a metric fuckton of pots, carry around like 300-400 pots which uses up a lot of your weight limit just on that, and frequent runs back to your mount/town to get more pots.

With heal on spin, you go from having to use a pot every 5 seconds, to never having to POT except for bosses or PVP. You don't kill fast since you lack the damage of other classes but you have basically unlimited endurance, slow and steady killing. We don't really know how bad this nerf is going to be (it was shit in KR, then they eased up on it a bit but it's still shit, no telling what the NA version will look like)

They recently tried to fix the over reliance on pots in PVE with adding healing on a few shit abilities that you don't use, but they are bugged. Fierce Strike is supposed to have a heal, and the bleed (DoT) associated with it, claw scar, also supposed to add a heal. Fierce is bugged and doesn't heal, and claw scar only adds a heal on the application of the bleed, meaning you can only get the heal on initial application.

If the heal on spin is truly FUBAR then we'll have to go back to carrying around 300-400 pots at all times just to PVE. it's just a major hassle/inconvenience/silver sink.

Keep in mind Pots heal 275 health every 5 seconds, berserkers have the most health and the least amount of healing, and you'll have 3-4k health at level 55+.