Black Desert

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So been playing this for the past few days non stop, pretty cool game. Should have given it a chance earlier probably, although I don't see myself playing it longterm(but then again last time I picked up DFO to "check out the new classes" after playing it a little bit before, I ended up playing it for almost a full year and actually ended one of the better geared Fmech on the western servers so... yeah).

Biggest issue so far is it's very rough getting into new classes, I tend to be an altholic but the way the combat works in this makes it rough to learn new classes. They frontload most of the skills right away so you're flooded with stuff, and you have to learn the key inputs to use them which makes it a lot harder to remember to use all your skills and stuff. Hotbar mmos you see the button not dimmed, you press the button. You can display cooldowns here too but you have to actually figure out what the command is for the button anyway(and the icons are kinda sucky and small so that doesn't help). They have a tool to make it easier, the skill guide, only that for some god only knows reason, it only displays some of the skills, and can't be edited. That shit would be perfect to learn the skill inputs, but nope. They could also probably gain a bit from delaying skills a bit and spreading them more, you get like 80% of your basic class skills by 20-25, then you only get 2-3more after that it seems like(until you hit 56 then it gets all fucky again).

Anyway started with Guardian, not was I expected early on when I was researching classes, but gotta admit that sideboob+underboob armor caught my eye. That said got kinda bored at like 45 and decided to check out the other few chars I made(probably gonna have to buy some char slots though cause I'm already out). Settled down on Mystic, I played Kungfu Master in BnS and like Monk in XIV and while I didn't play FFighter much I liked Fstriker and Fnen in DFO so made sense, and that class feels really good, the big BOOM BOOM sounds and the cool moves are great. It's kinda at the bottom of the power charts from what I've seen(although it was recently buffed a bit) but it feels amazing to play so eh for now gonna stick with it for now. Did end up using potions already, unlike Guardian where I don't think I've seen my health dip below 90%(and near instantly healed back up) besides fall damage. Took me an afternoon to do the same thing I did in like 2 full days on Guardian anyway, spamming that R key while questing sure speeds the fuck up of the lvling process.

Game is pretty fun otherwise, story is pretty terrible and surprisingly still has a bunch of typos but I like the crossroad system, on this 2nd char the story was very different leading to Calpheon(I haven't finished the arc I think, not too sure) even if some areas were overlapped. Music is pretty ok, some are actually nice, it's no FF but it sure sounded better than the last run I did in wow.

So far haven't really felt the need to spend any money, hell I looked up Mystic's costumes and most of them are kinda meh, surprised there's only so few too I remember BnS had like more 1month into the game. I guess cause they make them for each class instead of doing generic ones(well a few are generic but a lot are class specific). I got a bunch of free "sub" time thing and got a bunch of other stuff too so it's going alright, reminds me of DFO where they're really spamming events so you don't feel too pressured to buy shit, but at the same time get hooked so you end up spending anyway.

Not a big fan of the "afk forever" thing though, some korean games had better systems where you could just do that shit offline. Like if I'm gonna fish every night I'd much rather just press a button and have it fish then turn off my shit than have my PC running all night, but not doing feels like a loss(at least during current event since my fishing skill is so low it's worthless otherwise, but then again if you want to lvl it you need to let it run).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Biggest issue so far is it's very rough getting into new classes, I tend to be an altholic but the way the combat works in this makes it rough to learn new classes. They frontload most of the skills right away so you're flooded with stuff, and you have to learn the key inputs to use them which makes it a lot harder to remember to use all your skills and stuff. Hotbar mmos you see the button not dimmed, you press the button. You can display cooldowns here too but you have to actually figure out what the command is for the button anyway(and the icons are kinda sucky and small so that doesn't help). They have a tool to make it easier, the skill guide, only that for some god only knows reason, it only displays some of the skills, and can't be edited. That shit would be perfect to learn the skill inputs, but nope. They could also probably gain a bit from delaying skills a bit and spreading them more, you get like 80% of your basic class skills by 20-25, then you only get 2-3more after that it seems like(until you hit 56 then it gets all fucky again).
A lot of classes skills are useless or not really needed. Look up some combo guides to get an idea of what abilities you should be using and which ones you can ignore. The UI is also EXTREMELY customizable, so you can move your cooldowns to wherever you want them. I have mine sitting almost in the center of my screen, flanking my character - hard to miss.

BDO is all tied to muscle memory, just like any game in this "style". I was absolutely dogshit at "managing" my abilities/cooldowns for a good 1-2 months before the muscle memory started to really lock in.

Anyway started with Guardian, not was I expected early on when I was researching classes, but gotta admit that sideboob+underboob armor caught my eye. That said got kinda bored at like 45 and decided to check out the other few chars I made(probably gonna have to buy some char slots though cause I'm already out). Settled down on Mystic, I played Kungfu Master in BnS and like Monk in XIV and while I didn't play FFighter much I liked Fstriker and Fnen in DFO so made sense, and that class feels really good, the big BOOM BOOM sounds and the cool moves are great. It's kinda at the bottom of the power charts from what I've seen(although it was recently buffed a bit) but it feels amazing to play so eh for now gonna stick with it for now. Did end up using potions already, unlike Guardian where I don't think I've seen my health dip below 90%(and near instantly healed back up) besides fall damage. Took me an afternoon to do the same thing I did in like 2 full days on Guardian anyway, spamming that R key while questing sure speeds the fuck up of the lvling process.
I honestly wouldn't even fucking bother with the MSQ until you hit 60+. At that point, just rush through it until you get through the Mediah section. After that, you can pretty much ignore it forever outside of memes, "completionist" reasons, or if you care about lore. You have to get the idea of "quest to progress" out of your head in a game like BDO.

Game is pretty fun otherwise, story is pretty terrible and surprisingly still has a bunch of typos but I like the crossroad system, on this 2nd char the story was very different leading to Calpheon(I haven't finished the arc I think, not too sure) even if some areas were overlapped. Music is pretty ok, some are actually nice, it's no FF but it sure sounded better than the last run I did in wow.

So far haven't really felt the need to spend any money, hell I looked up Mystic's costumes and most of them are kinda meh, surprised there's only so few too I remember BnS had like more 1month into the game. I guess cause they make them for each class instead of doing generic ones(well a few are generic but a lot are class specific). I got a bunch of free "sub" time thing and got a bunch of other stuff too so it's going alright, reminds me of DFO where they're really spamming events so you don't feel too pressured to buy shit, but at the same time get hooked so you end up spending anyway.

Not a big fan of the "afk forever" thing though, some korean games had better systems where you could just do that shit offline. Like if I'm gonna fish every night I'd much rather just press a button and have it fish then turn off my shit than have my PC running all night, but not doing feels like a loss(at least during current event since my fishing skill is so low it's worthless otherwise, but then again if you want to lvl it you need to let it run).
If you hit escape, go to the disconnect button, and hit the "minimize to tray" option, it'll essentially run the game as a background process. So, as long as you're on relatively modern computer hardware, you can use your PC normally while fishing, long cooking/processing sessions, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
MSQ is nice enough to have something to do, I know grinding is faster then going back for xp but actually reading text and stuff for now trying to follow the story. Pretty much every guide recommends doing it the first time anyway, it directs you to various places and stuff so you know where to go when doing the grinding guide rather than having to alt tab constantly to check the map and stuff.

I know about minimizing to tray, my issue was more having to leave my PC running. I just turn it off when I sleep usually. It really wouldn't make a difference if instead of minimize to tray, it was "quit but keep performing current action" stuff and it was just done server side. You could still keep the minimize to tray option too for people who want to do it that way. It's not a huge deal.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
MSQ is nice enough to have something to do, I know grinding is faster then going back for xp but actually reading text and stuff for now trying to follow the story. Pretty much every guide recommends doing it the first time anyway, it directs you to various places and stuff so you know where to go when doing the grinding guide rather than having to alt tab constantly to check the map and stuff.

I know about minimizing to tray, my issue was more having to leave my PC running. I just turn it off when I sleep usually. It really wouldn't make a difference if instead of minimize to tray, it was "quit but keep performing current action" stuff and it was just done server side. You could still keep the minimize to tray option too for people who want to do it that way. It's not a huge deal.
No, MSQ definitely needs to be done at least up through Mediah for sure. I'd just recommend "waiting" on finishing it, if you care about speed/efficiency. But, if you're just using it as a way to break some things up, you're fine.

Also, if you plan on playing this long-term, I'd really look at some class guides to figure out which one best suits your playstyle and still pulls decent trash numbers, is decent at PvP (if you care about that), etc. One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started was wasting a ton of time/money/effort on Archer, only to realize Guardian was much more my style and I was just shying away from it because I hate female avatars. Your character is a major investment and something that you'll be playing for months/years. This isn't really an "alt" friendly game. The tagging system has helped a TON by allowing you to essentially have an alt, but you only get one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No, MSQ definitely needs to be done at least up through Mediah for sure. I'd just recommend "waiting" on finishing it, if you care about speed/efficiency. But, if you're just using it as a way to break some things up, you're fine.

Also, if you plan on playing this long-term, I'd really look at some class guides to figure out which one best suits your playstyle and still pulls decent trash numbers, is decent at PvP (if you care about that), etc. One of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started was wasting a ton of time/money/effort on Archer, only to realize Guardian was much more my style and I was just shying away from it because I hate female avatars. Your character is a major investment and something that you'll be playing for months/years. This isn't really an "alt" friendly game. The tagging system has helped a TON by allowing you to essentially have an alt, but you only get one.
Oh yeah my goal is just to lvl random shit to 56-61 and see what I like, I've seen tier lists and stuff already but at this point they don't really matter when I haven't even hit 56 yet, which changes a ton of stuff anyway. My Mystic is like 52 something atm, doing Cliff's quests and hopefully it'll get me to 53 so I can do the tome shit and then on to Medeiah or whatever it's called.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Grinding 59-61 is kinda long. The questing to 61 goes fast, been doing kama main story and hitting the side quests in kama to level my new char to 61, working well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Grinding 59-61 is kinda long. The questing to 61 goes fast, been doing kama main story and hitting the side quests in kama to level my new char to 61, working well.
Get your tome before you do this method.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Get your tome before you do this method.
This x 1000. Get your Chenga tome and 60-61 is a breeze in Kam, you dont even have to do the main quest. Just start at the Gargoyles and progress down hitting every town. Once you learn the pattern, it takes about two hours to level 60-61..
Actually get it as soon as possible and the leveling gets a lot easier with the side quests in Valencia. Without the tome they just are not worth enough

I always did 59-60 at Pila Ku. Not the best trash drops; but you can get scrolls and possibly two of the map pieces. With the 530% Loyalty scrolls and the regular 200% buff it should not be too hard.

Molten Core Raider
Apparently Ive been out of the lifeskill game longer than I realized. My original character had fairly high gathering skill (for the time), but when I was really into it was before the Manos stuff, back when Silver Embroidered and the stupid ghillie suit were the way to go. Now there's Mastery and Loggia stuff, kinda tough to wrap my head around. Is having the Gathering skill to +5 not as important anymore? This fishing event has lined my pockets a bit and I kinda wanna buy some Manos stuff and start gathering again since I read it's pretty good money (and there's not much else i can do while waiting for my gpu to come back). What would be the best bang for my buck?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Apparently Ive been out of the lifeskill game longer than I realized. My original character had fairly high gathering skill (for the time), but when I was really into it was before the Manos stuff, back when Silver Embroidered and the stupid ghillie suit were the way to go. Now there's Mastery and Loggia stuff, kinda tough to wrap my head around. Is having the Gathering skill to +5 not as important anymore? This fishing event has lined my pockets a bit and I kinda wanna buy some Manos stuff and start gathering again since I read it's pretty good money (and there's not much else i can do while waiting for my gpu to come back). What would be the best bang for my buck?
Mastery levels are still important, since +5 per level is pretty impactful, even if it doesn't seem like it. Master 1 I'd say is probably the "soft-cap" for most skills natural mastery, as it gets much tougher to level up after that. The exception is probably training and trading, but both of those are garbage anyhow. The "big money" from lifeskilling mostly comes from gathering and cooking now, with bartering probably a fair bit behind, but requiring a little bit less active play. Fishing can be a distant 3rd, but it requires a big investment into fisher's clothes, boats, sailing, etc. to go beyond the 20-30mil you make fishing overnight. I don't have much insight into hunting as I find the entire concept behind it extremely frustrating/annoying.

What is your plan with lifeskilling? My advice on gearing depends on what your ultimate plans are for it, honestly.

Molten Core Raider
Gathering was always kinda my go-to lifeskill. Id run around smacking trees or rocks, process the wood to planks or ore into ingots and selll it. This was back when the sailboats were a big thing, everyone was after and planks and logs and they sold like fire. My gathering skill is Master so Id like to keep up with that skill versus starting over with bartering. I was about to buy a Manos chest piece and Loggia accessories but the total mastery level thing left me confused.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gathering was always kinda my go-to lifeskill. Id run around smacking trees or rocks, process the wood to planks or ore into ingots and selll it. This was back when the sailboats were a big thing, everyone was after and planks and logs and they sold like fire. My gathering skill is Master so Id like to keep up with that skill versus starting over with bartering. I was about to buy a Manos chest piece and Loggia accessories but the total mastery level thing left me confused.
I think getting Manos clothes are the last thing you should think about in regards to Gathering. Get accessories / tools first, imo.

Goes over all the basics about Mastery.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Be sure to research whatever life skills you intend to do. Some of them like Training and Farming have almost no use for mastery gear. It doesn't hurt, but not really worth investing silver in the high mastery gear for those professions.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The life stuff is pretty fun, been spending way too much time setting up random stuff, worker shit, cooking stuff, fishing overnight and what not, still haven't really gotten into the thick of it yet but I like a bunch of the aspects of it.

Haven't made too much progress on the leveling side as a result, I rolled a Witch and got her to 57 so it's an improvement over my Mystic which is still stuck at 54(although that's like 20mins of grinding to get to 56 anyway). On the witch I did the "fast" leveling stuff instead to check it out, was pretty fun on a class with a ranged attack you can spam while moving, just pew pew one shot everything as I ran through, real fast. I messed up a bit so it took longer than expected but still wasn't very long, like 2hours or so(I went to that 49 frog spot when I was 34, which wasn't nearly enough to hit stuff, so had to go back to a lower spot to grind to 44ish first). Then did Manes with 65DP, which was interesting, getting chunked 25% of my health if I didn't dodge the charges of the big bois, but still was fine cause of high AP anyway.

Bought some cheap garbage to get setup that's why my stats were shit, armor is like fortuna +6 and some movement speed boots so I have capped movement speed with food, accessories are some random cheap garbage with AP, weapon I bought a +15 liverto since there was one for Witch up, sold it back after I hit 56 so only lost a few millions on that but need to figure out a better way for next chars, not sure what to do for weapons, do you just get some random +15green everytime or? Liverto are relatively cheap but there's not that many up, half the classes I checked had none up.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The life stuff is pretty fun, been spending way too much time setting up random stuff, worker shit, cooking stuff, fishing overnight and what not, still haven't really gotten into the thick of it yet but I like a bunch of the aspects of it.

Haven't made too much progress on the leveling side as a result, I rolled a Witch and got her to 57 so it's an improvement over my Mystic which is still stuck at 54(although that's like 20mins of grinding to get to 56 anyway). On the witch I did the "fast" leveling stuff instead to check it out, was pretty fun on a class with a ranged attack you can spam while moving, just pew pew one shot everything as I ran through, real fast. I messed up a bit so it took longer than expected but still wasn't very long, like 2hours or so(I went to that 49 frog spot when I was 34, which wasn't nearly enough to hit stuff, so had to go back to a lower spot to grind to 44ish first). Then did Manes with 65DP, which was interesting, getting chunked 25% of my health if I didn't dodge the charges of the big bois, but still was fine cause of high AP anyway.

Bought some cheap garbage to get setup that's why my stats were shit, armor is like fortuna +6 and some movement speed boots so I have capped movement speed with food, accessories are some random cheap garbage with AP, weapon I bought a +15 liverto since there was one for Witch up, sold it back after I hit 56 so only lost a few millions on that but need to figure out a better way for next chars, not sure what to do for weapons, do you just get some random +15green everytime or? Liverto are relatively cheap but there's not that many up, half the classes I checked had none up.

Just get boss weapons/armor off oasis why you can? They are 1 silver. Buy the cron meals/carrots too while they exist. I only know the venor in heidel, but its right next to the stable/fughar.

You get TRI armor and weapons. No accessories(but you can get capotia or other cheap ones easy enough).

Also play through the story and build Tuvala set to Pen, then trade it in for narchillian gear. You can do this once per family. That gear is equal to the tri boss stuff(or close to it) that you can them move around as you need.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just get boss weapons/armor off oasis why you can? They are 1 silver. Buy the cron meals/carrots too while they exist. I only know the venor in heidel, but its right next to the stable/fughar.

You get TRI armor and weapons. No accessories(but you can get capotia or other cheap ones easy enough).

Also play through the story and build Tuvala set to Pen, then trade it in for narchillian gear. You can do this once per family. That gear is equal to the tri boss stuff(or close to it) that you can them move around as you need.
Na I mean weapon for 1-56, yeah at 56 oasis is fine. Can't do tuvala anymore but yeah Naru is the same, but again that's just armor(well can do weapon but only useful when you roll the mirror gender class).

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
There is one in Valencia as well. I think right in the front next to either the stable or the market director. If you are doing stuff in the desert, grab the 1 silver 2 hour compass from them. Much easier and cheaper than buying them off the market (they are sold out and hovering at about 4 Mill a piece).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's one in Velia so you can buy everything right away on a new char, just not sure if that shit's staying on getting deleted though. It's not even supposed to be in the game I think? But anyway can't use them till 56 that's why I was asking about weapons options for lvling, just random shit off the market I guess then? I thought tagging would help but that shit's way too fucking expensive for just lvling thought it'd be cheap.