Black Desert

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wasn't going to play this game, but I wasn't going to do BnS either. On a whim, bought BnS for the headstart and am actually enjoying it, pleasant surprise.

So after a little research it's my impression that you can't PvP in Black Desert until level 50, but it only takes a few days to get there. Is that true? And is the endgame Guild vs Guild stuff decent? Having a hard time getting a feel for the point of this game.

I don't mind a quick PvE session to get to the PvP. But just don't have it in me to do fetchit quests ad nauseum to get the the good stuff. And it's not like I'm even any good at PvP, but it's the only mmo gameplay element that has any long term interest for me these days.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Few days? to get to 50 is supposedly only 15 hours /played.

You will want to do quests though. They increase inventory, other rewards and give contribution pts(which you need to setup nodes, buy houses, workers, etc). But the vast vast majority of your exp will come from just grinding mobs.

Money wise not sure if you have to grind mobs. Maybe do trade runs, horse breeding or something.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
15 hours sounds good, and for my playtime that is a few days. Don't mind questing (or grinding mobs) if it's not the main focus.

Still unsure about the endgame PvP. It sounds like Guild vs Guild stuff, which is fun if done correctly. Has anyone experienced it in this game? Or is it still just a part of the hype train? Sorry if that's been answered before, my google skills have failed me on this. From the articles I've read it sounds like they are still tweeking it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The guild wars just sound like when guilds just want to pvp or fight someone causing your members problems.

I think the sieges where it really comes into play. Because you are fighting for control of nodes/cities. Which can supply your guild tax money from anyone who sells things in that city. From a guide I watched, the guy said a guild can make pretty good bank if they own a big city in a popular area, as all the sales on the market/AH have a tax that goes to that guild.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The three big questions I have in terms of PvP mechanics in any game is:
1. Can I get wealthy by claiming the highest resource area and killing anyone who tries to stop me?
2. If a group shit talks me and my crew on a forum, can I obliterate them?
3. How much PvE do I have to do?

In GW2 the answer to that was:
1. No, but it doesn't matter.
2. Yes, but only if they step into your battleground.
3. None.

In ArcheAge the answer was:
1. Not really.
2. Not really.
3. Fucking all the PvE.

In Shadowbane the answer was:
1. Yes.
2. Completely.
3. I hope you like farming mobs over and over.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The PRX drama has already started and their official recruitment thread doesn't even need member bumping because the haters are on in full force. Good times.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some moderator removed a bunch of posts so I didn't get to see them. That's very lame. Zero chance a PRX reported the posts, we are fueled by tears.

The wall of salt one of our members made in ArcheAge was legendary. It was a mansion completely covered in ingame pictures of hate-tells he received after beating people in fights.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Some moderator removed a bunch of posts so I didn't get to see them. That's very lame. Zero chance a PRX reported the posts, we are fueled by tears.

The wall of salt one of our members made in ArcheAge was legendary. It was a mansion completely covered in ingame pictures of hate-tells he received after beating people in fights.
Ah yes, the Archeage tears are amazing. The amount of hate the Yata Grief Squad from our guild received. Priceless.

xQQJiLR.png

No real PKing means I wont play this game though. Fuck that shit.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Was that separate from the castle incident? Because that shit was epic.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I've been messing around with the Korean version of this game. I have to say, I really like the game. It feels good to play and I love the UI. I have no idea what the long term or greater systems this game has, but it's fun to play. Everything is essentially controlled by Shift, F, E, Q, Space, WASD and LMB/RMB. Hotbar is for buffs, pots and a few random abilities.

Last time I tried playing the game, there was no english patch and I couldn't get past the newbie quest where you had to use buttons on the training dummy a handful of times.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The one that comes to mind is when a PRX member was gifted control of a castle and they ended up welching on a deal, or something like that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lots of people had tears over that, including us.
Our official response:http://www.prx-guild.com/forum/m/161...arcala-madness
TLDR: chick is recruited into PRX. plays 24/7 and earns our trust. She becomes close friends with someone in one of our long-time friend guilds, MH. MH leadership leaves the game and gives castle to that friend. Friend doesn't want castle. Chick tells friend to give her the castle so that PRX can protect it. Chick spends all her time rebuilding the castle and organizes a sloppy defense of it. Chick says that it's PRX's castle, but she has control. PRX decides between giving it to new allies we don't trust (Marked) and old allies we trust (Elite). Chick tells Marked we'll give it to them. PRX decides we'll give it to Elite. Chick feels betrayed, gives it to our enemies (TWO) and swaps faction to play with them. MH blames PRX. Marked blames PRX. We blame chick.

Soon after, TWO wanes and another guild (GankBus, opposite our faction) attacks castle. We help them blow it up and run TWO off the server. Chick was seen now and then in TWO, but she was a pariah to everyone else and without them I'm sure she rerolled somewhere.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm looking into the node/worker system. This shit is what WOW Garrisons would dream to be. Shit is very interesting.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Curious if I will enjoy or be annoyed at the per town warehouse and having to run back and sell/deposit money. It really does add immersion and being in a "World" to it but hopefully doesn't just turn into an annoyance.

I know you can buy a house close to what you grinding , put in a warehouse box so you can dump things into that, then use a alt in the city to access warehouse and sell/deposit. Saving you the time having to run to major city and back.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. I like said, makes it feel a lot more like being in a actual "World", along with the no fast travel aspect.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
This really isn't a bad game at all. I went into it saying I wasn't going to play and its actually decent with some really well done parts.

The classes and combat are excellent. Probably one of the best I've played. Very Tera'ish feel combat wise but with a MUCH improved system for pulling off abilities and amazing differentiation at least between what I've played so far.

Skills are excellent. The skill tree is well done as well.

I dig the old school feel on some of the elements. Sure it's a bit of a PIA to have local storage, money having weight and well shit, weight for items and cash in general as opposed to just slots but I kind of like it. As you progress in the game it becomes less of an issue with the ability to have chests that link to the city storage and for the most part you really only need a few areas to have a house in them and linked up for access. You can also transport your goods and service via workers so overall I think it is pretty well done.

Horses are also well done. The entire inventory management is a throw back to EQ style games and having horses / wagons as well kind of combines that with Vanguard. The world is huge so running simply isn't a fast option. Horses really cut down on that and having multiple options to get them is pretty nice as well as all the tiers. The slow and deliberate pace of the travel is a nice change to the instant port bull shit of recent games. It also makes it easier to find an area to yourself as you can't simply check all the prime spots inside of 5 minutes. Having multiple instances to swap in and out is nice for farming and cuts down on crowding.

The PVE is pretty basic. More or less ploughing through 7 mobs or so at a time and the respawn is very fast. The looting system kind of sucks but you can get pets that loot for you so at least once you get them that isn't an issue anymore. I'm still enjoying the PVE, its a nice way to learn the combat system and you feel super powerful. You seriously wreck shit and it feels great. Death still happens when you get careless but overall the PVE is super easy if satisfying. There are no real dungeons which I'm fine not having to deal with lock out timers and shit drop rates. I much prefer all open world action if I'm going to PvE. Especially when I don't have to rely on a tank and healer, wait for groups or listen to people bitch about my pre made going all the time without them.

You can level almost entirely via mob hunting and you aren't screwed in the slightest. Just do the Black shadow guy quests as a guide to where to go and you can go back later and fill in the PVE quests should you desire the rewards.

Quests in game are standard crap. They do offer a variety of rewards though and people will probably want to go through at least some of them for inventory slots, skill points and other benefits if they skip them for leveling. At least they are 90% optional or so.

Loot is pretty great. You get drops from mobs that are valuable. These tend to run in 2 categories, trade worthy or vendor trash. Trade worth drops generally require stacks of any amount from 10 on up to 150+ and you can turn those into an NPC when your done for massive amounts of cash. Serious amounts. You also get the run of the mill AH quality stuff you want to sell via the AH broker. The actual amount of vendor garbage is quite low which is nice.

Economy is pretty nice as well. Everyone has things they earned. No gold sellers, no welfare, nada. All earned. There are a lot of ways to make money either via fishing, whaling, pharming mobs, running trade items etc there is something for everyone.

Karma system is really harsh. You aren't likely to see much ganking. They really should of just disabled it as things are we'll see what they announced for NA but I don't see them making major changes to this. It pisses off far more people than it makes happy and with the guild war feature you can still PvP to your hearts content.

I can't comment on the GvG and sieges. I see a lot of action on RU though.

One final thing I really like about the game is twinking is encouraged. No levels on gear. All gear is account bound. All storage is shared with all characters on the account. As you level up, you learn about mobs and do more damage, see their health bars etc and as your new characters level they also have that information that your main guy earned, trade routes you setup, node investment (i think) etc. You can throw a full set of upgraded gear in the bank for them and they can use it. Leveling in game is already really fast but its nice that on your second and later characters it won't be a total pain in the nuts to level up a new guy.

I'm actually surprised at the negativity at this game. It's not super amazing or anything but its a solid entry. With nothing else really on the immediate horizon I'd at least recommend you check it out. I think the combat system will turn off a lot of the "I can only tab target and push 1" crowd but if you liked Tera this seems like a MUCH improved version.

The wild card here is GvG and sieges. Guild owned nodes are amazing resources and there will be demand to own them for the benefits. At least the good ones will. I see a lot of GvG action on RU which is nice. I much prefer that to random ganking but we'll see how it all works out in the end.

Anyway, check this shit out. Its not amazing or anything but its certainly worth playing.