Black Desert

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quite a few play in PRX. Drop an app and mention you're from here especially if you use a different name for some reason.

The advantage head start gives is directly proportional to your playtime. Not just in the first few days you take vacation, but in the coming weeks.

First, this game doesn't really have a lot of PvP. Even on RU, where people are known to love PvP, there isn't a lot. The first thing is even the watered down Karma system still is really harsh. So what happens is you'll be out there grinding mobs, you might get warned by someone and then ganked as they are in the area killing stuff. Ok, you go back and they may do the same thing. After a few times they usually are running out of karma as they probably do this enough where it is an issue. Either way, 5 kills and they are at 0, best case scenario.

They will then start to bitch at you, threaten to kill you etc again but you know the game systems and know if they do they are essentially fucking themselves. When you tell them to fuck off and kill you if they want they generally end up leaving for another instance or going to another area. It's not worth trying to fight for mobs. It's not worth killing people over mobs after a time or two as they are essentially calling your bluff. If you continue to kill them, you are pretty much screwing yourself. You're only choice is to out damage them for mobs or move on.

Second, guild stuff doesn't start up until after 30 days. So you have plenty of time to get respectable levels and gear in that time. You won't be the best, but you already know that if you aren't poopsocking for the entire time you aren't going to be the best regardless. Especially in a game with no level cap.

Since there isn't a ton of open world ganking type pvp you aren't likely to need to be at or near the front of the pack to enjoy the game. So head start offers dubious advantage in all honestly unless you want to enjoy the initial race.
I was a pro-poopsocker right after HS, before college. Was the first priest to 60 in vanilla wow, and I haven't poopsocked since in 12 years, so idk, I might. Used to duel Xenif, Chris (I think, the faggot 60 paladin) and a lot of the other firsts in STV. Priests were so broken back then, they couldn't lose 1v1s. Ugh, I remember fighting a druid and we went on, and on, and on for about 40 minutes and drew a crowd of about 60 people outside Ironforge. I eventually landed a good combo, interrupted him, and was able to win.

So if you're red, and someone attacks you, you can't defend yourself? In UO, if you were criminal/red and were attacked you could fight back. A lot of good players would flag themselves and run through Brit bank and get a gravy train of people chasing them, and pick a couple off.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I was the first priest to 60 in vanilla wow, and I haven't poopsocked since I was 17, which was around 12 years ago...so idk, I might.

So if you're red, and someone attacks you, you can't defend yourself? In UO, if you were criminal/red and were attacked you could fight back. A lot of good players would flag themselves and run through Brit bank and get a gravy train of people chasing them, and pick a couple off.
Yeah this is nothing like UO. They simply don't want you ganking. End of story. The game is intentionally designed that if you go rogue and start killing people you will be completely fucked.

You can however bury an occasional kill.

As such, PvP is pretty rare and never more than a handful of kills (at most) unless you don't mind throwing away your character.

Woolygimp

If you're pretty well off and have more than enough experience, is it feasible to go perma-red/purple and just gank the fuck out of everybody? Some people just want to live the hard knock life...

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
A good bit of info you guys are throwing around is outdated. You might want to read the official forums. Some stuff is changed, some is in the process of changing. We won't know the full extent til launch, but you can at least find out where it stands now.
Here's a starter:

[Updated v2.0] Bounty Hunters, Karma, and Flagging Discussion - PVP - The Black Desert Online
Most of that shit is pie in the sky we'll ask the Koreans if they'll think about implementing it.

The system will be identical to RU. In fact, we are essentially getting their version minus the pay to win.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you're pretty well off and have more than enough experience, is it feasible to go perma-red/purple and just gank the fuck out of everybody? Some people just want to live the hard knock life...
No. It isn't an xp problem it is a Karma problem. By going negative karma, purple, you essentially can't use town services, open yourself up to be attacked risk free by everyone and if you fight back you go further in the red. That is the key. You go further into the red karma wise. So you have to find some far off place without people or people that don't want to take a shot at you and if they do, you have to take it like a bitch or go further in the red. Otherwise you won't be able to really do things on your character.

You'll find yourself getting spawn camped. You'll find yourself getting killed by guards, you'll find that people won't talk to you in the cities etc..

They simply don't want you PK'ing in the game. You can occasionally lay into someone if you want but if you start going on a killing spree you're essentially throwing away the character or will eventually have to play server bitch as you try to earn the karma back.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Most of that shit is pie in the sky we'll ask the Koreans if they'll think about implementing it.

The system will be identical to RU. In fact, we are essentially getting their version minus the pay to win.
No, it isn't. It's what already being discussed and fine-tuned with the koreans, and will be implented not long after launch. Not that it's a good system, it's retarded, but whatevs.

Woolygimp

Why would you give a shit about 'karma' when you're perma red. It took 40 hours to work off one murder count in UO, but people who were perma red didn't really give a shit because they were permanently red.

My question is whether you can survive as a permanent outlaw or not? It does say there are some towns without guards, right?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
No, it isn't. It's what already being discussed and fine-tuned with the koreans, and will be implented not long after launch. Not that it's a good system, it's retarded, but whatevs.
I'll gladly do an avatar bet with you that it won't be in within 60 days of launch. That should easily meet your shortly criteria.

Not in meaning no pvp bounties to refill karma

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My question is whether you can survive as a permanent outlaw or not? It does say there are some towns without guards, right?
Hmm I dunno, since iirc you cant use storage NPC as a red player, so you couldn't even use alts to move things to them.As you will need to repair, replace gems, re-enchant etc.

I think there is a town in future content(iirc the desert area) that is "red" only or caters to red.

Source ? Because last we've heard (January, 18th), their whole Bounty Hunter system was still conceptual.
This. Unless Raes has some kind of internal source and can prove it(instead of just talking out of their ass), it was still all up on the air and being tossed around about what they can change/bend when it comes to karma/pk. And the last official word on it was that PM diary like a month ago.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Why would you give a shit about 'karma' when you're perma red. It took 40 hours to work off one murder count in UO, but people who were perma red didn't really give a shit because they were permanently red.

Sure you could survive. As cinge mentioned you could setup a support network for yourself to get by. You'll just get nothing for your efforts unlike uo.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you use storage as a red? If you can, you could do alts to buy/sell for you and get by pretty easily, but if you can't I would think you are pretty screwed.

It would be fun to have a PVP character who you solely use to take out asshats, bots etc and just support them with your main/alts.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not at the NPC but assuming you could get to your house you might be able to use the box there. Haven't tried that. Repairs could be done via alts if you could same with supplies.

I really don't know if that box will work or not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah in UO if you were red, you could still use Buc's Den to do all your shit. Pirate town, so you had access to a bank and stuff there(although it was often a fucking mess of people killing each other cause you know, bunch of reds). You also had houses so really your bank wasn't really a big deal. I mean, it didn't have anything that a house didn't have. But if they limit all your activities in this as a pk, then yeah it doesn't seem to be particularily viable then.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not at the NPC but assuming you could get to your house you might be able to use the box there. Haven't tried that. Repairs could be done via alts if you could same with supplies.

I really don't know if that box will work or not.
Hmm true. I forgot about the storage in a house, so should be able to use that no problem to transfer.

Yeah in UO if you were red, you could still use Buc's Den to do all your shit. Pirate town, so you had access to a bank and stuff there(although it was often a fucking mess of people killing each other cause you know, bunch of reds). You also had houses so really your bank wasn't really a big deal. I mean, it didn't have anything that a house didn't have. But if they limit all your activities in this as a pk, then yeah it doesn't seem to be particularily viable then.
There's a town like that in future content for this game, so might be viable then too. Though it will probably be just a cluster fuck as that town was, given the nature of the players there.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty obvious they are going to implement some form of their Bounty Hunter system, yeah, it will be, at the least, a month after launch. None of that matters, though, because their ideas that they are so fucking happy with themselves for coming up with, are pants on head retarded. That being said, there's a good chance that some of the karma/flagging shit will be implemented at launch. While the BH system is technically "conceptual", the korean devs like the idea, and you can be sure NA will be getting some form of their shitty system post-launch.

Discussing the Karma system without factoring in the info in these PM diaries is omitting important info.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's pretty obvious they are going to implement some form of their Bounty Hunter system..
So you have no real clue and its pretty much still "who really knows but the developers, if that" at this stage, as what everyone but you was saying.