Black Desert

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I got BDO for free on console so it's no loss to uninstall it and get it on PC instead. FF14 on the other hand I bought the full edition so I'm definitely playing that on the PS5.

Not gonna lie, I mainly got BDO for all of the hot chix in the game.

Once EQ runs its course (which I think we're coming up on soon here since my TLP is reaching live) I'm gonna need a new MMO and it'll probably be one of these two. Though I'm also gonna give LOTRO a run just to see the content.

Will definitely go with a seasonal character for BDO and treat it like a regular game, 30-40 hours and out. Is Nova a seasonal? A Nova game sounds appealing, she hawt.

But wait...does seasonal mean that they rotate it? I.e. Nova is going away soon and we're getting a new seasonal character?
Yeah, BDO isn't at all what you're looking for dawg. 30-40 hours and out isn't really what BDO is at all. The story/lore is dogshit, so you aren't really going to even be able to get enjoyment that way. You'd be fucking lucky to even get full TET Tuvala in 30-40 hours, let alone PEN - especially if you know nothing about the game.

If you're insistent on playing, Nova is fine for grinding as long as you go Awakening. If you're looking for a good grinding class for female, you have a lot of options. Guardian, Lahn, Sorc, Witch, and Nova all grind pretty solidly. Succ Lahn is probably one of the top 3-4 grinders, in fact. If you want to PvP, Guardian, Witch, and Sorc are all viable Node War and Siege Classes, especially Witch. Nova and Lahn are both pretty far outside the meta for small-scale and large-scale PvP. Awakening Lahn has a few uses as a flex class in certain scenarios, but that's about it. Nova is just straight doodoo in PvP.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man this is like the POE of the fucking mmorpgs. Like holy shit. One has to take a YouTube course in the game just to figure shit out. Who the fuck made this mess? Koreans or Cinese? Anyway the combat is defintely fun but the rest of the game, questing, etc, is very meh. Ill give it a few weeks though. Made a seasonal character and so far like 15 hrs in im aleady lv 41 and outleveled the shit out of the main quest. But thats because the combat IMO is the only fun part of this game so far.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man this is like the POE of the fucking mmorpgs. Like holy shit. One has to take a YouTube course in the game just to figure shit out. Who the fuck made this mess? Koreans or Cinese? Anyway the combat is defintely fun but the rest of the game, questing, etc, is very meh. Ill give it a few weeks though. Made a seasonal character and so far like 15 hrs in im aleady lv 41 and outleveled the shit out of the main quest. But thats because the combat IMO is the only fun part of this game so far.
Just understand that the main end game for BDO is making money as efficiently as possible. The has systems that allow you to make billions, but other than straight grinding mobs the other systems will require a good amount of time to setup.

The new high end grinds spots, the Hadum/Elvis stuff, can make so much silver/he as to make every other spot look like newbie zones.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This game pretty much is the PoE of MMOs, which is why I love it - except it actually has an AH.

I'd ignore the story. Just blow through it and get past the Mediah part of the storyline. You'll know when you're there because it'll ask you to head to Valencia. Questing in this game is worthless. Get that WoW mentality out of your head. Sure, there are a few quests worth doing for inventory slots and such, but that's about it. Otherwise, you want to spend your time grinding levels/gear.

Cybsled

Is there any class/setup method that lets you see a lot of the Black Desert world without it taking an age and a half? Same question for FF14.

I haven't played BDO in forever, but for FF14 it isn't so much class/setup, but the Main Story Quest that will limit your progress and what you can see. However, you can be every class on a single character, so you don't lose MSQ progress if you decide you don't like whatever job/class you're messing around with and decide to try something else (although MSQ will have level requirements at parts)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played BDO in forever, but for FF14 it isn't so much class/setup, but the Main Story Quest that will limit your progress and what you can see. However, you can be every class on a single character, so you don't lose MSQ progress if you decide you don't like whatever job/class you're messing around with and decide to try something else (although MSQ will have level requirements at parts)

The way you can be every class on one character is easily the most interesting thing about FF14 for me and I'm actually surprised I've never played the game now that I think about it. It's got like everything I want in an MMO.

Playing a zerker in EQ (one of the most one-dimensional classes) I can't count the amount of times I've wished I had a sub-class or could switch to / level up another class without abandoning all the work on my main. He's done pretty much everything there is to do (well, almost, you never do everything there is to do in EQ) so it'd be a lot to lose if I switched mains. Boy would I love to mix some Necromancer or Shadowknight into the repertoire though.

As for BDO, as has been pointed out already, it really sounds like it isn't my kind of game. I just really like the visuals and the character models. I might do what mkopec mkopec did and make a seasonal character and only focus on grinding combat. I could do that for 40 hours and just see the world a bit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So back when I played in 2016 or so, I did a lot of horse training.

When I picked it back up, I lucked out and, through horses I had bred, got a T8 courser (I also want to point out that at around level 18 or so it had crap skills and the BDO horse discord told me the horse was glue).

Anyway, 13 FS later, and I got myself a Dine. Was kind of hoping for Arduanatt, but I was happy with either and not Doom.

Downside is I'm still playing on season server and now I can't ride it.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm this game had awesome stuff when I played but the gearing part was awful, did it change?

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
With seasons getting to a decent gear level is easy now (240ish AP, 300ish DP). From there you can get up to 261ish AP and 330ish DP in a couple months probably, which will put you near 600 GS. The top players in the game are around 700 GS for reference. It's all about making silver as efficiently as possible and upgrading whatever your next cheapest upgrade is. You can either grind or choose one or more lifeskills to get the money. There's also different tiers of node wars that will cap your GS for a more even playing field.

Also some classes will do better at lower GS than others. Kuno/Ninja for example are gonna be killing higher GS people if you're good at the class.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As for BDO, as has been pointed out already, it really sounds like it isn't my kind of game. I just really like the visuals and the character models. I might do what mkopec mkopec did and make a seasonal character and only focus on grinding combat. I could do that for 40 hours and just see the world a bit.

So far played seasonal for roughly 25 or so hours (25 more offline fishing and other shit) and I hit 52. So almost at 56 where I can upgrade class. Anyway its an easy grind so far, just running back and forth from NPC to NPC, and when a combat quest happens, I just grind a bit more for a few more levels. They literally shower you with 60m 100% and 200% combat exp consumables so its pretty easy to level so far. Pretty satisfying rewards from all the seasonal and other rewards in this game. I did buy the noob pack from the store, I think It was like $15 or some shit and it gave me 3x 15 bag slots and other consumable shit. So I think it was pretty worth. I used one for my character im doing now and kept the other two 15 bag slots if I decide to make alts to try the other classes combat. But they also give you tons of bag slots through just playing the main story and a few side quests.

It is recommended to go through the main quest line because you get shit all the time, bag slots, armor, upgrade mats, and other shit you need like contribution and skill points, and other shit. But like I said, its trivial mostly, just running from npc to npc and collecting loots lol.

But the combat in this game is where this game really shines IMO. Once you pick your class and figure out your combos and shit, it becomes really good shit. I chose guardian because I read its pretty decent in PvE grinds and easy to learn. Perfect for a noob like me. Im betting the combat for most if not all classes have a huge skill ceiling which is good, imo. Ill try some others once I get bored of this one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel like a retard or something attempting to transfer my account. Im logged into Pearl Abyss, Kakao Games, and Steam and after I receive the email code and press next, it tells me I have to be on the same platform. I have no idea what the hell its talking about?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Okay, so I've been kind of not doing shit lately in the game, and the last piece of Tuvala I need to PEN is the necklace. Should I grind it out? I really hate doing accessories.

It's either wait for that, or just go ahead and graduate now and move on.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay, so I've been kind of not doing shit lately in the game, and the last piece of Tuvala I need to PEN is the necklace. Should I grind it out? I really hate doing accessories.

It's either wait for that, or just go ahead and graduate now and move on.
If you don't already have a TRI Ogre Ring on your account, you might as well try for a PEN Tuvala. If you plan on doing Spring Season, there is a good chance that the end of season reward will be a PEN Capotia, which is equal to a TET Ogre Ring.

Edit: Selling the left over Tuvala materials you've earned will net you a nice chunk of silver, those 600 time filled stones you get via the Weekly Season quest will earn you 120m. I did the early grad for my Nova, and selling all the left over materials got me just under 600m. This next season I'll just be doing the Weekly each time and saving up all the free Tuvala materials they through at you, only piece of gear I'll get to PEN will be the sub weapon. So I expect to end the season with a couple billion most likely.

• 1Like

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
tempgear.png
Getting stronger. Mkopec I have guardian tagged and it's a really solid starting class w/ some secret meme potential. Anyone needing a utility guild to park in hit me up Ownage_Factory family name, or Remmy#1320 on discord, just mention you are FOH

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sage combat trailer:

I like the ability to reposition while casting a nuke and fire it off afterwards, at around 0:40.

• 1Like

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
New zerker awakening skill is goddamn amazing. 300 ap zerk chunks half my shield, or half my health standing out of block. Cooldown is like 6 seconds. Nearly 1 shots most 330 dp people to the back.

New valk skill is nice for general use, I will do 30-40% dmg to people standing that are 340 dp. Really fills a gap when main offensive skills are down and I need a backup plan.