Black Mass

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Also I'm pretty sure a 'Black Mass' is a real term for a Satanic ritual.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from this, I give it like 6/10. It basically seemed like a Depp acting showcase.
I agree. Saw it tonight. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Depp basically carried the movie. Would've liked to have seen what someone like Scorsese could've done with the movie. It just seemed like it needed a little bit more of something.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Depp absolutely this movie. Goodfellas its not, but worth seeing for his performance.

intelnavi_sl

shitlord
I guess this was just award show bait. Acting was good, everything else was bland and boring. This is not a way to tell a story and make it interesting, had no spice. They could have learned a lot from Narcos or other biopics. There's a brief blurb at the beginning to explain things and that's about all you get. My wife and I were not impressed.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suppose I am in the demographic, but I fucking hate these types of movies. I lost all respect for Depp when he went on a 10 year career binge of playing a flighty fucking fairy in every roll. Also, artificially aging actors with dye, makeup, and masks will always be a fail 100% of the time. It kills the suspension of disbelief and is distracting. Period pieces suck, unless you are old enough to remember when you drove those cars, wore those clothes, and listened to that music when it was new.

There is nothing appealing about this movie. In a more respectable day and age, they would have at least had the decency to cast a Daddario and promised tits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Period pieces can be fucking amazing. Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Americans. Those are all Grade A.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I suppose I am in the demographic, but I fucking hate these types of movies. I lost all respect for Depp when he went on a 10 year career binge of playing a flighty fucking fairy in every roll. Also, artificially aging actors with dye, makeup, and masks will always be a fail 100% of the time. It kills the suspension of disbelief and is distracting. Period pieces suck, unless you are old enough to remember when you drove those cars, wore those clothes, and listened to that music when it was new.

There is nothing appealing about this movie. In a more respectable day and age, they would have at least had the decency to cast a Daddario and promised tits.
I agree with you about the makeup. If you want to do a movie about Whitey Bulger, grab an older actor who looks like Whitey Bulger. Hollywood also does this bullshit a lot with accents. I love the movie Rounders, but John Malkovich's performance as a Russian is cringe worthy. The makeup has to be top notch in order for a movie to pull it off, like Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'd rather have the actor that can play the character the best over someone who kinda looks like the guy more

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'd rather have the actor that can play the character the best over someone who kinda looks like the guy more
Don't get me wrong, I thought Johnny Depp's performance as Bulger was top notch. However, I was very aware the entire movie that it was Johnny Depp in makeup. I've definitely seen better makeup jobs in other movies. For instance, I thought the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas did a much better job of making Depp look like Hunter S Thompson.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
However, I was very aware the entire movie that it was Johnny Depp in makeup.
Do you find yourself struggling to recognize actors in most movies you watch or something? Like, you're watching any of the Marvel movies with Tony Stark in them and you just can't recognize that it's RDJ for the life of you, or you're watching Fight Club and you totally didn't recognize Brad Pitt or Edward Norton and the movie was ruined for you when your buddy reminded you?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Do you find yourself struggling to recognize actors in most movies you watch or something? Like, you're watching any of the Marvel movies with Tony Stark in them and you just can't recognize that it's RDJ for the life of you, or you're watching Fight Club and you totally didn't recognize Brad Pitt or Edward Norton and the movie was ruined for you when your buddy reminded you?
No, that wasn't my point. I obviously know that there are actors acting as other people in movies. My point is that in this movie, the makeup was done very poorly and it looked like Johnny Depp in a Halloween costume more than his appearance being altered to the point where it didn't detract from the movie. Go back and actually reread what I posted, or take a reading comprehension class.

Column_sl

shitlord
Watched this last night, thought it was decent it just lacked the power of something like a GoodFellas, or most of the more memorable gangster films.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Is this worth a rental on Amazon? Or wait for it to hit Prime/Netflix?