Black Panther (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Bumping since this amazing piece of cinematic genius has been nominated for five academy awards.

I wish it would win best picture, the melt down and backlash to said meltdown would be glorious.

However, Hollywood would never stop fillating itself publically to virtue signal that hard. Deep down inside even they know they BP doesn’t deserve that award or to even be nominated. Still though... it would be funny.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Bumping since this amazing piece of cinematic genius has been nominated for five academy awards.

I was going to retort with something because I assumed it was going to get all the nominations it deserved, like costume design, sound, score etc. This movie straight up is nominated for best picture? Wow.

I thought it was OK...But when I tell you my girls family thought this shit was the next coming of Jesus, I'm not exaggerating. Her church sent the whole congregation!

But the academy? This was AT BEST, an OK flick.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I was going to retort with something because I assumed it was going to get all the nominations it deserved, like costume design, sound, score etc. This movie straight up is nominated for best picture? Wow.

I thought it was OK...But when I tell you my girls family thought this shit was the next coming of Jesus, I'm not exaggerating. Her church sent the whole congregation!

But the academy? This was AT BEST, an OK flick.

I can think of a number of marvel movies, or sci-fi movies in general, that are FAR more deserving than this one for not only best picture, but the other categories like musical score and costumes as well. To me, Black Panther was an average Marvel flick, and an average sci-fi flick at best. The costumes were beyond unoriginal as well, just basically African themed clothing. As far as Marvel movies go, Logan was 1000X better than this, and the last Avengers was better as well.

It's not gonna win best picture (my best is on blackkklansman), but it will clean up in the other award categories.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I can think of a number of marvel movies, or sci-fi movies in general, that are FAR more deserving than this one for not only best picture, but the other categories like musical score and costumes as well. To me, Black Panther was an average Marvel flick, and an average sci-fi flick at best. The costumes were beyond unoriginal as well, just basically African themed clothing. As far as Marvel movies go, Logan was 1000X better than this, and the last Avengers was better as well.

It's not gonna win best picture (my best is on blackkklansman), but it will clean up in the other award categories.

Outside of best picture, I think it does great against the other Marvel flicks for the other nominations. None come to mind as better for costumes. Score? I loved the Thor Ragnarok score over Black Panther.

It was a totally middle of the road flick like you said.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Outside of best picture, I think it does great against the other Marvel flicks for the other nominations. None come to mind as better for costumes. Score? I loved the Thor Ragnarok score over Black Panther.

It was a totally middle of the road flick like you said.

Yeah I agree, the musical score on Ragnarok was amazing-- the whole movie was far better than BP. I mean, I guess compared to other Marvel movies the costumes were fine, but in the realm of "all movies"? Nah.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Movie is fine for what it is, but the best picture nomination is pure pandering. It's like how any famous actor playing a retard is going to get nominated for best actor even if the movie is shit.

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Calling this movie middle of the road is being somewhat generous. and by somewhat I mean what the fuck movie did you guys watch?

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Agreed with the general sentiment so far. It was an entertaining-enough movie, and its other nominations for sound and costuming and the like are reasonable, but best picture? Not remotely. It was a solid B-tier Marvel movie, that's it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I havent seen this. Should I remain pure or shall I taint myself?

I mean, it's not that bad of a movie. It's purely ok. But it's in no way deserving of all the ridiculous praise that it received. I thought the villain was dumb, and it has some pretty dumpster fire CGI. But I didn't want to shoot myself after seeing it, either.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, it's not that bad of a movie. It's purely ok. But it's in no way deserving of all the ridiculous praise that it received. I thought the villain was dumb, and it has some pretty dumpster fire CGI. But I didn't want to shoot myself after seeing it, either.

That's weird because I wanted to shoot you after I saw it.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
It was mediocre. It had good moments, it had painfully cringing face palm moments, and it wasn’t boring. (well I got bored because my attention span is terrible however my wife and kids didn’t find it boring, she just thought it was silly) It was entertaining enough to enough people that I won’t say it was literally a terrible movie, I will just mock an okay movie using hyperbole and rhetoric because it’s fun.

However, this in no way deserves best picture. Endgame is better in every capacity and I don’t think that deserves a best picture nod.

Now the noms for costumes and sounds and shit like that, who gives a fuck? I mean seriously. If costumes and audio are your thing or you work in those industries I can kind of get it, I just don’t understand why anyone acts like anyone else actually cares though.

When was the last time you looked at a movie and went “Wow, won an award for best sound mixing and one for best sound editing. Well, no way I am passing up this movie!”?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
It is really below average for a MCU movie. Infinity War should have had 5 nods, not this.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
the academy is always about circle jerking itself. i see this as the gateway movie for them to recognize a comic book movie for best picture. they can't stop being wrong compared to what audiences actually want to see. I don't think they really think this was potentially the best movie of the year. it's the best way for them to recognize a comic book movie for one. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins because of that.

List of Superhero movies/shorts that has been nominated or won Oscars. - IMDb

pretty much any nomination, aside from Heath Ledger, has been bs effects or makeup until now.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How far in do I have to watch for it to not suck? Cause I'm 15 in and I wanna die.
dude, you can skip it. it only provides the setting for the final act of Infinity War. here, this is all you need to know. wakanda is where vibramium comes from. its a magic place with high tech, a force field that also acts as a cloaking device and there is a girl techie who does movie trope hacker magic.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I read the comics. Same thing then. Thanks.
Tho, wakandan hax majik sounds fun.
they also hate white people, refer to them as colonisers, hatch a plot of revenge on all whites and yet all the locals living around wakanda are starving hut dwellers.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
dude, you can skip it. it only provides the setting for the final act of Infinity War. here, this is all you need to know. wakanda is where vibramium comes from. its a magic place with high tech, a force field that also acts as a cloaking device and there is a girl techie who does movie trope hacker magic.
Hacker magic that ends up being too slow and fucking useless to matter.

• 2Like