Black Widow (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
I think the big thing is that this movie would have felt more relevant if it had come out ~ 4 years ago shortly after Civil War. Like I said earlier, I feel like the movie is fine if not particularly great, but the timing just seems shitty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So yeah, just reiterating everything else, this was just okay. It was really more "Bourne" than Marvel up until the end. In fact, I'd almost say it was a pretty good spy movie up until she had to face off against the big bad at the end. Everything in that last sequence just kind of ruined it for me.

I feel like they were really forcing the womyn power shit, but in my experience, women get bored with shit like car chases and extended action sequences. The hysterectomy shit was super jarring, too.

And I know it's a superhero movie so complaining about plot holes seems silly, but there were a few at the end that seemed bizarre to me.

Why did he have faceless, worthless henchmen as guards when he's apparently got a global network of Black Widows who could've been protecting him?

The random parachute on the deck was just a what the fuck? Like, c'mon, that's super lazy writing.

And the end of the sequence, why is there a convoy of US people in the middle of Russia? Not only that, but including whatever the fuck his name is that's specifically hunting Natasha? Seems awfully coincidental. I think I probably missed some dialogue, but why didn't she get on the plane with everyone else? She said something about holding them off...and then 2 weeks later she's a free woman still and going to rescue everyone else. So she obviously didn't stick around.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Leaving out key Avengers from Black Widow was no mistake.

Speaking to Total Film, director Cate Shortland revealed that Marvel Studios played around with the idea of including other big Marvel names but ultimately decided against it:

"Initially, there was discussions about everything, about all of the different characters. What we decided was, and I think Kevin was really great, he said, 'She doesn't need the boys.' We didn't want it to feel like she needs the support. We want her to stand alone. And she does."

Xerge

<Donor>
6/10 marvel movie IMO. It stands on its own to watch but ultimately will be forgotten as it didn't progress the MCU.

Was fun to watch something new though. Which is the biggest draw atm.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Not top tier MCU, but I enjoyed it. The sister was great, and if the plan is to do a passing of the mantle with her (and it almost certainly is), then I'm very much on board. Also becoming very clear that the Thunderbolts (or something similar) is being built up to.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed it, it had really good pacing with nice mix of funny moments, drama and action. The 2 hours runtime flew by. I really wish it had come out after Civil War though. If/when I rewatch the entire MCU again I will definitely watch it after Civil War.

I like Yelena and hope we see more of her, for that matter I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Red Guardian and Melina either.

Taskmaster was totally wasted though as usual with most villains.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I would say less Bourne and more Bond. I mean it had a car chase, gadgets galore, secret formulas...

Hell the Red Room itself was a classic Bond villain over-the-top lair. Even had Natasha quoting along with a Bond film she was watching before her generator conked out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently this movie has a Miranda-style shot of Scarlett's ass...ets (except there's no "Sheppard", only her relevant part front and center). I guess she can keep whining about oversexualization and conveniently forget this was feminist trash directed by a woman. Seriously, evil men made her take a role in Under the skin and Ghost in the shell, poor woman.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The inconsistent power levels even within a movie are becoming a distraction. A super soldier that can break the arm of a massive, ripped man without exertion should be dusting all the 105 lb models in the movie.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The inconsistent power levels even within a movie are becoming a distraction. A super soldier that can break the arm of a massive, ripped man without exertion should be dusting all the 105 lb models in the movie.
They even joked about that in this movie though. "The god from another planet probably doesn't need to take an ibuprofen after a mission."

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Slight derail but this is always an issue. We learned this when the Champions RPG came out decades ago. High strength high defense characters basically are immune to low strength martial artists types. Its hard to write a story with them. Cap, Bucky, Red Guardian and anyone other person at that power level or above would just wade through all those widows like the Rock going through a bunch of cheerleaders.

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
Actual quote by Ray Winstone's bad guy character in this movie, I kid you not:

"Young girls... the only natural resource the world has too much of".

I leaned over to my wife in the theater after that line and whispered “Message!”, and we both LOLed.
That was a super forced and awkward line.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie was fine, i would put in the good catagory if just going off the last 2 years of shit. I will prolly watch it again unlike Thor 2, iron man 2, age of ultron, captain marvel, and black panther.

The actors were good and the sister did a great job. Movie ruined/ wasted taskmaster which really sucks unless deadpool wipes everything and after credit scenes was terrible

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Decent flick overall, 7/10. Lots of jokes that missed, few that got a chuckle out of me. May watch again if doing some sort of chronological series.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Taskmaster was totally wasted though as usual with most villains.
I didn't even understand why the helmet had like... some kind of heads up display on it or tracking software or whatever. At first I thought Taskmaster was a robot or something, but instead it was just a chick wearing a helmet that did... stuff. The helmet didn't appear to do anything to assist her either. It didn't make any sense.