Blackroom kickstart FPS by John Romero and Adrian Carmack

bayr_sl

shitlord
It's like they got the guy who wrote DOOM: Repercussions of Evil to write that introduction. "You are at HAX()R, then something goes wrong!"

This is gonna rock!

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its NOT John Carmack who currently works at Oculus (VR) and is the worlds greatest programmer

its his brother Adrian who i know nothing about

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He actually isn't related. Which is weird they all got together because Carmack isn't really a common last name.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
He actually isn't related. Which is weird they all got together because Carmack isn't really a common last name.
Anything Romero does at this point is pretty cringeworthy, but getting a different Carmack to stand in so he can write that "Romero and Carmack make a new game!" is worse than I'd expect even from Romero.

Tenks

Anything Romero does at this point is pretty cringeworthy, but getting a different Carmack to stand in so he can write that "Romero and Carmack make a new game!" is worse than I'd expect even from Romero.
Lol Adrian isn't really a "stand in" he was a founding member of id software. He just is an art guy instead of a wizard programmer like John.

spronk

FPS noob
apparently as well the $700k isn't going to fund the whole game, Romero thinks if they get the 700k though they'll be able to get publishers to kick in the millions needed to finish the game itself.

if anyone puts money into this you deserve whatever you get

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol Adrian isn't really a "stand in" he was a founding member of id software. He just is an art guy instead of a wizard programmer like John.
You know exactly what Romero was hoping to accomplish with that headline.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd assume anyone who knows who Carmack is would know what he's doing and how much he hates Romero
I think you are overestimating the average gamer's understanding of the personalities in the gaming industry, rather than seeing Romero and Carmack and thinking "the two main guys behind DOOM". Not to demean Adrian, but John was the driving force in FPS innovation. Adrian wasn't.

Tenks

If you read the "Masters of Doom" book you can see it was a pretty big group effort to make Doom what it was. Sure Carmack did some insanity innovations in the 3D-esque space but Romero was the one with many of the ideas and level design. Making good video games requires fluency in many aspects and engineering is only one of those. Doom wouldn't have been made without Romero and it wouldn't have been made with Carmack's tech. But I don't feel you can put non-equal stake in either.

Although I think Adrian may have actually disliked doom. I can't recall all the actors in the book but one of the artists did not care for the gritty nature iD took with Doom and Quake and wanted to make more Commander Keen shit. But to say he wasn't a founding member of iD would be incorrect even if he is trying to mislead with the same last name ... although I don't think he is.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, different opinions are fine. I guess we have different opinions on this one. No worries.

I haven't read the book, but it is on my list.

Tenks

Its a quick read and gives some great insights on the foundation and roots of modern PC games. Its well worth your time.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm so excited for Daikatana to finally come out. Romero's greatest contribution to my life is DM3, that map in 4v4 20 minute clanmode was an incredible gaming experience. If this was just DM3, remastered in a precise replica of Quake physics I might support that.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I watched their whole Twitch stream and decided I was in for $29.

John and Adrian are both legitimate creative forces in my book. Yes, John Carmack might be one of the smartest coders alive and is wholly responsible for the id tech that fueled all those classic games, but today, the tech is sufficiently out there already (here in the form of the UE4 engine), such that you don't need someone like him unless you are trying to push the boundaries of what a FPS can be. They're not trying to do anything like that here, just bring back some old-school FPS gameplay, which I'm down with.

Some bullets from the stream:

• Romero has been designing the game for about a year now
  • Planned release of December 2018
  • No DLC
  • He's planning on having a ~20 person team with additional contractors as needed
  • Classic FPS Movement - Rocket Jumping, Circle Strafing, Bunnyhopping, etc.
  • Designed for PC first, no specific plans for consoles, but if they happen it will be a port FROM PC.
  • He estimates the single-player campaign will be ~10 hours long
  • Speedruns will be supported out of the gate with in-game leaderboards
  • They have outside funding that will come to fruition if and only if they hit their $700k kickstarter goal.
  • No plans to support VR
  • Teleporters and Telefrags: "They're awesome and they have to be [in the game]".
  • Lots of weapon mods and upgrades
  • No QTE
  • Will have support for Co-op, campaign will be the same as single-player campaign, but they are designing for co-op as well.
  • Modding Tools will definitely be a focus, wouldn't commit to releasing them with the game simultaneously.
  • He mentioned 5 of the simulations you'll go through (think Episodes in Doom/Quake with different themes). Part of the game is that these simulations are glitching out and so they will intertwine and won't always be separate from each other. The themes of the episodes are: 1) Gothic Horror that takes place in some sort of mansion. 2) A pirate theme of some sort (with skeletons). 3) Army/Military theme (No Hitler). 4) Some kind of kids' TV show theme. 5) Medieval theme.

Decided to support this one simply because I want to see more classic FPS games made. Not a huge fan of the lore or proposed story, I'm basically just in to see what kind of DM levels Romero can spit out. We'll see if they can get funded at all. Very hard to get funded these days without a tech demo of any sort.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm in!

MlCZPpc.png