Blaster Master (What the &#%& am I looking at?)

How many eyes does this thing have?

• Total voters

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Here's your friend, from one of the Blaster Master Zero games on Switch. Looks like BMZ is an interesting remaster while BMZ2 (seen here, I think) takes things in a different and weird direction.

I've never even played Blaster Master and it's in my top five NES games I still want to go through. I'll probably play it in its NES form rather than the remake.

Others I never played and want to: Crystalis, Ultima 4, Battletoads, SCAT, Totally Rad, Stinger, VICE: Project Doom, Kid Icarus, Street Fighter 2010. I should take a month and do an NES-fest, see if I can finish all ten within that month.

You can play the original BM and its remake BMZ. BMZ is a remake, but it seems different. New art design on zones, some of the areas are changed slightly, and even some of the dungeons feel different. It even has two endings. Extra content. I've played the original BM a hundred times and I got lost in BMZ quite a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Damn, I used to play the shit out of that as a kid. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still lurking in my parents' basement.
How fucking young are you, that you played a 2010 game as a kid??

This is what I played as a kid!

s_AirSeaBattle_3[1].png

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that game was kinda dark for an NES game.

I believe Crystalis came out in 1989 or so, and had a storyline where the world had a nuclear war and basically ended in 1997. I remember all of this because it was the same as Terminator and T2, my two favorite movies growing up. Wonder what it was about 1997 in particular that made people think it was going to end in catastrophe. Saw a lot of "1999 nuclear war" stuff back then too.

Used to be really interested in the concept of something taking place way in the future after a nuclear war. Whenever I'd play a game like the original Final Fantasy with its "ancient technology" (or FFVII with the modern jet found in a fossil excavation site), my brain would always link it to this kind of concept. Like the world collapses, then in the distant future we have a medieval society full of monsters (mutations). And at some point we see something that tells us that it's actually the future rather than the past. Not sure if I've played a game like that, just games that vaguely hinted at being post-catastrophe like, again, FFVII.

...I need to play Horizon: Zero Dawn

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did anyone play milons secret castle

Nope, but I heard about it from other kids. Maybe I'll add that to my NES list. Also Low G Man, whatever that is. 'Cause when I was in 5th grade we did this pen pal thing for a couple months with another school, and I basically just talked about video games and nothing else with the guy I was matched with. Surprisingly only NES games even though it was 1993 by then. He told me his top, like, 7 NES games and the only one I wasn't familiar with at all was Low G Man. So I gotta play it for that guy. I hope he's doin' alright.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I can't recall which Ironsword it was, but one of those games almost broke my sanity. I just remember a whole lot of jumping, and a shitload of angry frustration. First time I broke a gamepad too, I swung that thing around like a flail and smashed the shit out of it. Things were actually kinda tough too, much more satisfying than an xbox one against the wall that just turns into a 100 pieces with a toss.

Some of those NES games produced rage so easily, I still swear early gamedevs were just trolling players sometimes.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I can't recall which Ironsword it was, but one of those games almost broke my sanity. I just remember a whole lot of jumping, and a shitload of angry frustration. First time I broke a gamepad too, I swung that thing around like a flail and smashed the shit out of it. Things were actually kinda tough too, much more satisfying than an xbox one against the wall that just turns into a 100 pieces with a toss.

Some of those NES games produced rage so easily, I still swear early gamedevs were just trolling players sometimes.
Ironsword was Wizards and Warriors II and I can confirm there where some bullshit tricky jumps. Although I wouldn't be surprised it was one of the other games in the series. I didn't even know there was a third one. Maybe I should get my buddy to do a video on those.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I thought the thread was going to be about this?

8089677275_3034298edc_b.jpg
i remember when my friend got this to upgrade his computer for his birthday
059187a7154bc2af1ca071c744af5907.png

something like this, but i remember those speakers came in a box, inside a box
d3bba0773804d1d4b814921a62fe5a8b.png

i think it cost like $500 back in 94? pretty sure the drive connected to the awe16, i believe that was really the only reason to buy an awe16 was b/c it was a cdrom controller card as well.

i believe once they made cdrom4x they finally figured out to put em on ide since the frigging soundblaster was isa

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Had this thing back when I first started building PCs ~1994. Was an amazing soundcard.
1620745365701.png