Blenders for smoothies

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Blender is not a blender, dudes.

Test: fill that $15 blender with ice and see what happens. Mine? I can make fucking snow cones. Yours? Nothing happens.
I fill it with ice when I make protein shakes. Something happens. Smoothies come out of it!

Intox_sl

shitlord
Alton Brown/Good Eats had an episode on smoothies and what to look for in a blender. I would recommend starting there. I personally have a 1100 watt ninja blender and it does what I want it to do and it was a little expensive(about $100). I have had about 3-4 $25-$35 blenders and have had them all go shortly after buying them. Some the store replaced some didn't so I decided to spend a little more and the ninja has lasted about 3 years so far and is going strong.
Now if you have an inexpensive blender and its doing you good then by all means stick with it, and don't purposely try to break it, by overloading it, so you can justify buying an expensive blender.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I meant just ice. No shit it can grind ice in a mixture of liquids.
This thread was about making shakes. I haven't tried to just blend ice because that is not something I have ever had to do in my life.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Vitamixes are great... for professional cooks who want to be able to make hot soup in a blender because the blades are powerful enough to heat the liquid to boiling through friction. And yes, it will destroy ice/whole veggies/whole fruits (maintains the fiber content). Also makes fantastic instant ice cream (pain to get out though). I feel like for most people a $100 blender is enough though.

Carafe won't fit in your average fridge and the plunger thing is kind of silly (works, though). Blendtec's shorter carafe is a nice selling point. Those are the two top options if you want the best of the best blender.